Homemade foie gras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elodie

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone:)
I present to you my favourite foie gras recipe that we make for special occasions. It is quite simple to carry out. Here it is:

Ingredients:
- 2.2 lbs foie gras
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- ½ tbsp pepper
(optional)
- 3 tbls alcohol (more than 18% such as rum, vodka, whisky...)
- 1 vanilla bean

Material:
- a spoon
- a kitchen thermometer
- a cooking bag
- a cooking pot
- ice cubes
- 2 bowls (one small and one larger)
- a spatula
- a cake mold
- baking paper

Instructions:
If your foie gras is not deveined, do it. To do this, place it on your work surface, gently open it in half (without cutting it). Locate the nerves and remove them with the back of a spoon.

Once this step is completed, make way for the seasoning! Mix the dry ingredients together. Place your foie gras in a dish and add the mixture to each side of the foie gras.
Finally, if you wish, pour the alcohol and/or open the vanilla bean in half and scrape it off to remove the inside.

Let your foie gras macerate in the refrigerator for one night.

Cooking:
Fill the cooking pot with water and heat it until it reaches between 56 and 65 degrees. Place your foie gras in the cooking bag and cook it for 15 to 20 minutes (make sure the temperature is the same for the duration of cooking). Be careful, the cooking bag must not touch the edges of the pan as this may melt.
Shortly before removing the foie gras, put the ice cubes in the large bowl and then place the smaller one in it.
Remove the bag and remove the foie gras from ii. Then place it in the small iced bowl.
Mix the foie gras with the spatula until it cools for about 15 minutes.
Finally, place the appliance in the cake mold covered with baking paper and leave it in the fridge.

Taste once the foie gras is well set :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

I doubt that many people will be trying this recipe, given the price of foie gras! Looking at the recipe (and your location), I assume you are speaking of 56-65 degrees Centigrade, which is 133-149° Fahrenheit, for those who might try it! And this looks like it would be something to cook in a sous vide cooker, for those who have them.

It has been forever since I had foie gras - early 80s, maybe? A friend and I got some cheap because there was all that stuff in the media at the time about the birds being inhumanely raised, to fatten them up, and demand went way down. It was simply poached - the alcohol used was just a bit of cognac. And always have some homemade bread with it, if you are splurging. It was delicious, but I'm not splurging at todays prices!

Last edited:
Hi Dave and thank you for your intervention and your clarifications which I totally validate: D

I agree with you, it is true that foie gras is worth Gold, that is why it is reserved for big (very big) occasions!

Of course, if you are equipped with a sous vide machine it is even better :D

Indeed, there is nothing better than a good homemade bread. I, who love sweet and sour, accompany it with an orange squash chutney and a slice of toasted brioche. A real delight!

Greetings from Reunion Island

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Hi Elodie and welcome to the forum. Is that the Saint Pierre that is near Newfoundland or is it one of the ones in mainland France? Or maybe the one in Nova Scotia?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom