How are you celebrating today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
Have a good day folks! Today is an iconic day in the history of America. Hope you all have a great time - what do you traditionally eat to celebrate?

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde:):):)

Thank you Di! I will be sleeping, hot dogs and hamburgers will be served tonight at work.

Well...the plan, as it was designed, is to go to Glenn's son's home for a GIANT cookout. I'm serious. They've invited about 150 folks and their R.S.V.P. rate has always been pretty good.

We were there Saturday to pick up our granddog, Baxter, who gets exiled when there is company or a large gathering. He's as sweet as they come but he's a bit intimidating to many, especially children, because he's a Great Pyrenees.

Kenneth was busy putting an addition on their swing set/play gym, which now resembles something from a municipal park. He had also prepared the areas where the water slides and two separate pools and splash ponds would be set up. We brought him our horseshoe set that will be added to other games like washers, corn hole, dodge ball, badminton, who knows what else.

They have a huge two-bay automotive garage that he sets up to serve food and has borrowed I don't know how many grills for all the dogs, burgers, etc. he's going to be cooking. They borrow banquet tables and folding chairs from a local church. Kenneth NEVER does anything on a small scale. Good thing they have a large yard. However...

Mother Nature may cause a change in plans. Last night there were huge, damaging rains, with some flooding. Tornadoes were part of the mix as well and the same is predicted all day today. At the moment it looks like 9:30 in the evening rather than in the morning. It is black dark outside. Yep, here comes the rain...again!

I have a feeling an alternate parking plan will have to be devised because I don't think parking all the potential vehicles in the yard is going to be advisable. We'll see.

We'll go for a short appearance because I can't tolerate heat and humidity because of my medication. I made a BLT macaroni salad as our contribution and am looking forward to the goodies all the other families will add to the mains Kenneth is supplying.

However, it turns out I know all the children will have great fun. They're half the entertainment. Sure wish I could bottle up some of their energy and enthusiasm to use when I run low. Run, run, run, jump, hop, play, play, play!!!

Thank you, Di!

It's DH's birthday today. There's a little celebration for us 'mericans and Canucks, with food vendors and bands down at a little mall this afternoon. The food at these celebrations is always quite good.

One of our restaurant owner friends isn't participating this year, sadly. Too much other stuff on his plate. We will eat on his behalf.

Thanks, Di! For us it's a cook-out with all the extras. And time spent with our two kids, whom we see far too little of.

...We were there Saturday to pick up our granddog, Baxter, who gets exiled when there is company or a large gathering. He's as sweet as they come but he's a bit intimidating to many, especially children, because he's a Great Pyrenees...
Katie, I say put a saddle on Baxter and give the kids "pony" rides. ;) Our neighbor has two dogs, one a Great Pyrenees. Beautiful dog, but barks constantly. The neighbor claims the breed can't be trained to not bark. I'm thinking more along the line that the neighbor can't be trained...:glare:

Last edited:
Oh, I love GPs! Nephew tried to ride Beagle, she did not like it whatsoever.

The band today was awesome. The advertising needed some work. Apparently 6 other people heard about it, which was a shame, because they were really good. They also had guys who dance on top of their heads, twist on one hand upside down, you know, things that I did when I was 15 too.

She says never.

Last edited:
We're having leftovers from last night - smoked pork ribs, coleslaw and baked beans. We're hoping to go see the fireworks downtown tonight, but the weather is iffy.

We have a tandem bicycle, so we put it in the back of DH's pickup and park in a neighborhood near downtown, then ride our bike to the riverfront. This way, I don't have to walk far and we don't have to wait for traffic to clear when we leave.

The fireworks are set off from barges on the river. It's really beautiful.

Last edited:
loved your messages - you all got into the spirit of it all and your hospitality is amazing! Good ol' stars and stripes. It must be great to be American., with a sense of pride about where you come from

In Italy the great celebration is 15th August. Apart from Bonfire Night, Christmas and Easter there isn't one in the UK, and I doubt very much whether Brexit Day will ever be rembered after all the pieces are put back together, Sack cloth and ashes here. Just Britain, no Great Britain any more. I'm looking forward to the Italian celebration, when we and all our friends meet up to celebrate in the grand style - menu to be sent today or tomorrow.

Love to all

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

my new one: Peeple of ze wurl relax Tom Robbins

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom