I need a good dinner idea that can feed about 30 people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bplax44

Assistant Cook
i am looking for a dinner idea that can feed a little more than 30 teenagers and a few adults. something thats a little sophistocated yet something everyone will eat. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know

How about humburgers, or lasagna, would they eat soup? How about mashed potato and baked chicken?

Give us a little bit more info, time of the day, where you are doing this, what's the ocasion, how old are teenagers,etc.?

How about a Mexican Type Menu:

Enchilada Casserole - You can make it with beef or chicken. It can be layered for ease of making. One large tray would feed 30 teens. You can layer tortillas with spicy tomato type sauce, ground beef, sprinkle of green onions, cheddar cheese and then repeat layers finishing with cheese, green onions and finishing with black olives (if teens would like it).

You can also make a sophisticated version of this with cooked shredded chicken and a green verde type sauce (rather than the traditional red enchilada sauce).

You can make a side of refried beans and cheese or a layered salad - with beans, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and chips to go with it.

Another side would be some spanish rice seasoned with cumin, red chili powder, corrainder and mixed with diced tomatoes, corn, red and green bell pepper.

A nice big tray of corn bread would round off the meal.

May not be sophisticated but it has an international flair.

Thinking about British bangers and mash. Bangers are British sausages, but in lieu of them, can use almost any sausage you choose.

Mashed is just mashed taters, but often see chips (French fries) substituted for it. And in the old days they would be served with a healthy dose of beans on the side (of the Heinz canned variety, but any such beans including Campbells, B & M, would work just fine. Generally the beans were of the sorta mushy Heinz variety, but heck, who is going to care if you use something else? Even a bean salad would work, but don't mention you heard it here).

Now if you use mash, the dish is often served with onion gravy. It is just a basic gravy, could always Google, or could take canned/jarred gravy, maybe add some sliced onions that are caramelized. Or any gravy you want.

I hate to bring up the idea (my British and Celtic genes are rebelling at the mere mention of this), but even a tomato/spaghetti sauce would work. I know it 'haint never been seen in a proper British pub, but the way pub grup is changing you never know. And it would definitely work. In which case I might leave out the beans and add a bit of pasta salad. Call it Luigi's banger and mash.

Yeah, and make some deep fried, battered, Mars bars, that, I believe, originated in Scotland. The kids will love them. It would be a bit of a chore but I am sure it would go over big. And the Italian tie in? I believe they were first made at Pasquali's fish and chips shop in Edinburgh.

All of this can easily be prepared ahead and warmed before the event. OK, maybe not the Mars bars. (Or maybe so, have never tried one. Always promise ourselves when we are in Edinburgh will eat one, and they are readily available, but never have.)

Putting together enough for 30 teens should not pose too much of a problem. And the fixin's are relatively inexpensive, and most can be bought in bulk.

Just an idea. It doesn't have to be truly authentic at all, just call it that. And if you want to toss in a salad on the side, or something else, that would be fine.

Hope you enjoy it. Sounds like it could be fun.

bplax44 said:
i am looking for a dinner idea that can feed a little more than 30 teenagers and a few adults. something thats a little sophistocated yet something everyone will eat. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know

Where do you live? You didn't bother to put that in your profile. What may be "sophisticated" or "unique" or "exotic" in one region may not be in another ...

How much time do you have (to cook) and how much money to spend? What kind of meal are you looking for?

I would prepare something like chicken spaghetti, or manicotti, a huge salad, lots of garlic bread. Dessert- brownies with ice cream or cookies. I say this because I have prepared both meals for about 20-30 people. Feeds many and easy to prepare.

I'm thinking of the teens I know, and what they like to eat. Most of them like Mexican food, pizza, spaghetti and related dishes, burgers and hot dogs. The girls are a lot pickier than the boys, but I haven't seen one who wouldn't eat macaroni and cheese.
You can do some pretty sophisticated things with pizza. You could do a pizza buffet, add a pasta dish or two, breadsticks, salad fixings and a couple desserts. (I'd suggest brownies for one of them.)

Here are 503 ways to do pizza:

Food Network Search

ok, well i got a while to prepare. this is for the summer, and we are going to the beach in florida. these teenagers are around 16 to 18. i want to be able to feed a lot, but i dont wont to use premade things, like sauces. now i am from pittsburgh and im 18. i love to cook and i feel that i know what im doing so i want something that will challenge me, and also that will be different from everyday food

I'd go with lasagna. Simply because you can make these ahead of time. You can put different trays of them together and stick them in the fridge. Then, when it's time, just pull them out and throw them in the oven. Whip up a good salad while they lasgna is baking.

You can go Greek and whip up Pastitsio, Macaroni Pie. It is fairly easy to prepare, quite substantial and easy to handle. For side dishes, you can prepare croquettes, dips like hummus, and salads.

bplax44 said:

Not sophisticated but REALLY really good, and totally enjoyed by all--and CHEAP. And it is easily completely ready before the event so you can enjoy yourself too.
Carolina Pulled pork, buns, served with slaw, southern pole beans, baked beans, or even a big layered salad ,and banana pudding or brownies or lemon bars.

Last edited:
Summer....Florida....on the beach. I'm thinking you would all enjoy a summer menu much more than comfort/winter type foods. Here's a couple of ideas for you - everything can be made the day before serving.

ANTIPASTO TORTELLINI SALAD

1 16 oz. package cheese tortellini -- fresh or frozen
4 ounces Salami -- chopped, ~1 cup
4 ounces provolone cheese -- cut into 2X1/4X1/4" strips
1 11 oz. can whole kernel corn
1 9 oz. package frozen spinach -- thawed, squeezed to drain
1 6 oz. jar marinated artichoke heart -- drained, chopped
1 6 oz. can ripe olives -- pitted, drained, sliced (~1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 ounces Parmesan cheese -- grated
2 oz. jar diced pimientos -- drained

Cook tortellini to desired doneness. Drain; rinse w/cold water.

In a very large bowl, combine tortellini with salami, provolone, corn, spinach, artichoke hearts & 1 cup of the olives.
In a small bowl, combine dressing, Dijon & 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese; blend well.
Pour dressing over salad; toss gently.

Top w/remaining olives and Parmesan cheese.
Cover; refrigerate 1-2 hours to blend flavors.
Just before serving, garnish w/pimientos and other garnishes.

Yield:
"3 quarts"
Serving Ideas : This is a wonderful buffet dish.
------

Or

BBQ MACARONI SALAD

16 ozs salad macaroni -- cooked
1/2 cup red onion -- minced, red or white
8 ozs marinara sauce
1 1/2 cup celery -- chopped
1 cup sweet pickle relish
4 ozs black olives -- chopped or sliced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
salt and pepper

Drain, rinse the macaroni and mix together with the onion, marinara sauce, celery, relish, olives & chili powder.
Add the mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, salt and pepper and mix together
Cover and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.
------

And you could fix either grilled chicken or oven-baked chicken and have it cold the next day.
OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN

chicken pieces
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Dash pepper
1 egg -- slightly beaten
2 T. milk

Rinse chicken; pat dry.
In a plastic bag combine all but egg & milk.
combine the egg & milk in a shallow dish.
Dip chicken in egg mix.; place chicken 2-3 pcs. at a time in plastic bag.
Shake to coat.

Place chicken, skin side up in an oven proof pan .
Bake 375 for 35 to 45 min. or till Chicken reaches 160°.

Chicken can be eaten hot or cold - either way, it's delicious!

An added treat - mince 3-4 cloves garlic, put in saucepan with cube of butter and melt; let sit a while. Then slather that mixture on Sourdough bread loaf that has been halved lengthwise and heat in oven. Oh boy!

-----

some ideas to think about.

Are you going to have access to a grill? Salad and skewered kabobs. You can do something like jerked chicken. Of course pork tenderloin, beef and shrimp are great on kabobs as well. I have tons of grill recipes if you want more ideas.

I have never tried this but saw it on a cooking show. It looked neat. BBQ meat (pulled pork, flank steaks, brisket) served in a sliced down the middle baked potato (eaten like a sandwich) Also use soft tortilla wraps and lots of neat toppings. Pot of beans, simple salad (tomatoes, cukes, fennel and evoo)

All can be cooked ahead of time:

Sausage & Peppers on a roll; Mac & Cheese (you could add stuff to make it more sophisticated); any pastas; kabobs; salads

I too was thinking low country boil as I was reading the posts!!!!

Serve that with some grilled Italian or French bread and a nice big salad.

Food 4 teens

:cool:I only prepared a party 4 my 13 yr old last year, we had about 15 of his mates, (all boys-big appitites), I have also done a party for my older son when he was 15, so we had 14-17 year olds here, about 20 of them, all boys again. For both parties I did almost the same, a few changes along the way.
But first you have to check on what the kids like and eat, and if they have any medical reason for not being able to eat certain foods,you dont want any problems along the way and you also need to accomadate for everyone.
Ok,now that that is out of the way, here is my suggestions:
A good old BBQ with all kinds of meat,a variety of everything that can be BBQ'd, A big pot of Spagg Bol, Shephards /Cottage pie, Spaggheti with Chicken and different sauses,Meatballs with a variety of sauses, Pizza, Garlic Bread or other breads, A Tossed Salad, Potato Bake, Coleslaw,Potato Salad,
Pork spare Ribs, Fried Rice, any sort of finger food, Chicken drumsticks, Chicken wings/wingettes roasted in an oven ( honey soy and garlic chilli ) is a great taste, cheerios ( I think you may call them weenies over there ), they are small finger sized sausages,cocktail sausages I think, with your choice of sauce, crackers and dip, If you can, a couple of different Roast meats ( pork,lamb,beef ) all good and easily sliced, corn on the cob, and 4 dessert, a freshly made fruit salad,cheese and fruit platters with crackers,
or maybe a couple of different cheese cakes, my favourite would be pavlova,but you may not like that, Im not sure. There are heaps of ideas out here, maybe ask your friends as well, what do they like to eat and any suggestions from them, try to have a variety of foods to suit and please everyone. I hope it all goes well 4 you, please let us all know how it went.
Cheers, Spiritwolf.:cool:

bplax44 said:
ok, well i got a while to prepare. this is for the summer, and we are going to the beach in florida. these teenagers are around 16 to 18. i want to be able to feed a lot, but i dont wont to use premade things, like sauces. now i am from pittsburgh and im 18. i love to cook and i feel that i know what im doing so i want something that will challenge me, and also that will be different from everyday food

Let me see if I have this straight in my head ... you're from PA and going to FL and want to make a feast on the beach down there?

First obvious question is - do you know where you will be staying? If so - contact them and see if they can help you out by loaning you some equipment ... big boiling pots, grill grates, etc... and what the current laws are on the type of fire you can build on the beach.

Second - will you have a food prep area ... does your room come with a kitchenette with cutting board and knives? Any pots and pans??

Obviously you're not going to haul food down from PA to FL. What you can do when you get to FL will depend on your resources. If you have access to a couple of big pots - the "Low Country" boil sounds great. If not - and you can build a fire-pit on the beach ... then maybe a fish steamed in leaves - stuffed with citrus fruit and herbs?

There are other options ... jerk chicken, beef, pork, goat ... with a nice mango and papaya chutney for example.

What you can do will depend more on what you have the resources to do than your ability to execute the dish with all the resources you need. It sounds like you're talking about a cookout on the beach ... in an alien environment with minimal cooking gear .... think along those lines.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom