I need some ideas for New Year's Eve dinner please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niquejim

Senior Cook
My FIL has ordered 6 different species of lobster from all around the globe for guests to pick from and some dry aged grass fed fillets and wants to serve a surf and turf dinner with at least 2 sauces to go with each.
Appetizers will be pâté and caviar and we will have a mushroom and truffle risotto with dinner
Anyone got some ideas for the perfect sauce or maybe an unusual sauce to go with this

Sounds like a fantastic dinner.

I'm doing filet mignon for Christmas and making a Bearnaise sauce to go with it.

Do you mean a sauce to go with the beef? I like a dollop of herb-butter on top of a steak or blue cheese mixture...and let it melt on top and drip down the sides.

I also like an au jus....maybe add some fresh herbs to make it special...like parsley, rosemary, and thyme

Last edited:
Hollandaise would be great with the lobster, and I'd suggest a Madeira sauce for the filets. sounds like a lot of rich food, though. Risotto is a very rich side. I might go for a less rich pilau.

Do you mean a sauce to go with the beef? I like a dollop of herb-butter on top of a steak or blue cheese mixture...and let it melt on top and drip down the sides.

I also like an au jus....maybe add some fresh herbs to make it special...like parsley, rosemary, and thyme

Bleu cheese is wonderful. I had a nice filet once with a sliced tomato and bleu cheese on the side. Not thinking, I dunked my bite of steak in the bleu cheese. WOW. Now I always have bleu cheese, but on the side. I wouldn't want every bite with it. I might do it melted on top like you said, but only for myself. Others might not like it that way, so I'd serve it on the side. Part of the attraction was the warm meat and the cold dressing.

I don't care for bleu cheese dressing in the bottle. It tastes much better to use a Ranch dressing base and mix lots of bleu cheese crumbles into it.

Why not have several sauces to choose from. Au jus is awfully good too.:chef:

Last edited:
I agree with Andy on the Bernaise.It will go nicely with both of those. if you needed a second sauce that would go with both and not overpower the bernaise either I would go with a chasseur or a cardinal sauce.

A thick, home-made mayonnaise, seasoned with lemon if people wish to dunk the lobster into it.
With the steak, I'd go for mushroom or blue cheese - unfortunately both can be quite over powering - but I love the strong flavours.
Sounds like a delicious menu though.
No doubt the accompanying beverages will be up to the high standard ;)

When I was doing my Masters Thesis, I came across a fabulous and unbelievably easy sauce for filet that called for using 1/2 cup of mascarpone cheese and 3/4 cup of a good blue cheese. You blend the cheeses together, and when the filet comes out of the oven, you put it on its platter and spoon the cheese mixture over. the heat of the filet melts the cheese and you just would not believe how fabulous it tastes! Mouthfeel is terrific, as well.

My FIL has ordered 6 different species of lobster from all around the globe for guests to pick from and some dry aged grass fed fillets and wants to serve a surf and turf dinner with at least 2 sauces to go with each.
Appetizers will be pâté and caviar and we will have a mushroom and truffle risotto with dinner
Anyone got some ideas for the perfect sauce or maybe an unusual sauce to go with this

I think my car is going to break down in front of your FIL's house on New Year's eve. Could you send the address? :LOL:

When I was doing my Masters Thesis, I came across a fabulous and unbelievably easy sauce for filet that called for using 1/2 cup of mascarpone cheese and 3/4 cup of a good blue cheese. You blend the cheeses together, and when the filet comes out of the oven, you put it on its platter and spoon the cheese mixture over. the heat of the filet melts the cheese and you just would not believe how fabulous it tastes! Mouthfeel is terrific, as well.

As a huge fan of cheese this sounds like heaven. Whichever Thesis you are doing June I want to do, the research sounds amazing!

I ended up doing the pate, caviar, 4/5 different cheeses and crackers
then a salad,
then the risotto,
then some sugar snap peas with the lobster and steak(for the lobster I had clarified butter and a roasted corn, basil and coconut milk sauce...and for the steak I had some garlic/chive butter and au poivre sauce)
ended with molten chocolate cake with a 3 berry compote

Also remember that the women in the family can't even get their own drink on N.Y.E.. The men do everything. An unusual but lovely tradition that I restarted last year after a 4 year absence.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom