ISO help w/lunch for 150 teens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gerria

Assistant Cook
I am organizing a lunch for 150 volunteer staff, mostly teens, who will have just arrived to run a week of day camp for underprivileged kids. The location is almost two hours away. We will have access to a church kitchen at the site and have our own church kitchen for per-prep.

The director of food for the camp suggested a sub sandwich bar. We would pre-portion the meat and have the toppings and condiments on a buffet along with a salad, perhaps a pasta with ample vegetables. My concern is cost. So far I have only collected $150. My goal was at least $400, 500 would be better.

The grandmother of one of the volunteers said her grandson though a hot dog bar would be good even though there supper that night will be a potato bar. I think cost would be better here. I could offer hot dog chili and slaw as well as usual condiments and baked beans. I will have access to restaurant supply and warehouse clubs. I can probably get folks in the church to make cookies or brownies for dessert and donate them.

I would love suggestions, perhaps even another menu I have not mentioned as well as suggestions for quantities of food for this crowd.

Thanks.

I like the idea of hot dogs! If you have access to a kitchen you could easily add a macaroni salad, chips and a pickle! Dessert could be donated brownies, homemade cookies etc...

You could also go with a "box lunch" consisting of a cold sandwich or two, chips, a couple of cookies and a piece of fruit. If you mix up the contents by using different sandwich fillings, fruit etc... the kids could do a little swapping and maybe use that as sort of an icebreaker.

I would also try to have a few vegan/vegetarian items or try to get a count of kids with special diet needs before the big event.

Good luck!

Why don't you try a GoFundMe type account to help with money. It can be targeted to the general public and/or specifically to a group. Worth a shot even if it only brings in a few more dollars.

I used to make peanut butter noodles for pool parties. Always a hit with the kids.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/peanut-butter-noodles-93889.html

I only had to make them for 20 or so, never 150! Obviously you'll need an alternative for those with peanut allergies.

Unfortunately, for those with this allergy, sometimes it can become very severe. So if you are going to serve food that could possibly cause a problem, make sure that there will be an Epipen on the premises. And even if you choose to not include problem foods, it won't hurt to ask whoever is in charge of the medical welfare of the kids if they plan to have one on hand. I am sure any medical professional would have already thought of this. :angel:

Unfortunately, for those with this allergy, sometimes it can become very severe. So if you are going to serve food that could possibly cause a problem, make sure that there will be an Epipen on the premises. And even if you choose to not include problem foods, it won't hurt to ask whoever is in charge of the medical welfare of the kids if they plan to have one on hand. I am sure any medical professional would have already thought of this. :angel:

I'm sure anyone in charge of a day camp for 150 kids has already thought of this as well.

The hot dog lunch idea is great. Having an open buffet means portion control issues and if budget is a concern you should avoid this.

A hot dog with condiments, veggies sticks and chips is a great solution. For vegetarians you could swap out a veggie dog for the meat. A small cup of fruit salad would be a nice addition with this meal as well and then cookies or brownies for dessert.

If you have volunteers making desserts you might want to suggest what they make so that there is some consistency. Ask them all to make brownies or to make the same kind of cookie or maybe two types. For example, chocolate chip or decorated sugar cookies.

Another option would be a chili bowl lunch but my guess is that kids would prefer the hotdog.

The hot dog lunch idea is great. Having an open buffet means portion control issues and if budget is a concern you should avoid this.

A hot dog with condiments, veggies sticks and chips is a great solution. For vegetarians you could swap out a veggie dog for the meat. A small cup of fruit salad would be a nice addition with this meal as well and then cookies or brownies for dessert.

If you have volunteers making desserts you might want to suggest what they make so that there is some consistency. Ask them all to make brownies or to make the same kind of cookie or maybe two types. For example, chocolate chip or decorated sugar cookies.

Another option would be a chili bowl lunch but my guess is that kids would prefer the hotdog.

I sure agree with that! We're talking teenagers here.The director suggesting a sub sandwich bar would not only be very costly, I can see the front of the lunch line making mile high sandwiches for themselves. Then you're out of food!

Last edited:
I too really like the idea of a hot dog bar. Maybe some veggies with hummus and ranch dressing for dips.

Well, if they have volunteers to work the lunch line, they could do like a Subway set up. That way the teens could pick what they want but there would still be portion control.

Thanks everyone

I am liking a menu of hot dogs with fixin's, (chili, slaw, krout, onion, mustard, ketchup), spicy baked beans, a veggie packed pasta salad and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I'll have veggie dogs as option to vegetarians. I think 2 1/2 dogs per person should be enough. The group will be about half girls and a few adults. Am I off?

I am liking a menu of hot dogs with fixin's, (chili, slaw, krout, onion, mustard, ketchup), spicy baked beans, a veggie packed pasta salad and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I'll have veggie dogs as option to vegetarians. I think 2 1/2 dogs per person should be enough. The group will be about half girls and a few adults. Am I off?

That sounds good to me :)

Hi gerria, and welcome! :flowers:

Your menu sounds great - I know I'd love it. :yum: Not sure when this event is happening and how much time you have to work with, but you could ask your local bakeries or even the local grocery stores about donations for the hot dog buns/rolls. I don't know about the city/state laws in your area so this idea might be a no-go....but it's worth checking into. Sometimes local establishments are more than happy to donate to a great cause such as this. :)

Best of luck to you, and looking forward to hearing about the progress and especially the end result!

Hi gerria, and welcome! :flowers:

Your menu sounds great - I know I'd love it. :yum: Not sure when this event is happening and how much time you have to work with, but you could ask your local bakeries or even the local grocery stores about donations for the hot dog buns/rolls. I don't know about the city/state laws in your area so this idea might be a no-go....but it's worth checking into. Sometimes local establishments are more than happy to donate to a great cause such as this. :)

Best of luck to you, and looking forward to hearing about the progress and especially the end result!

Excellent suggestion. When I had the Girl Scout troop, I would approach the manager and tell him/her what I needed for the GS troop and was wondering if I could get a discount. I have to admit, it was a sneaky way, but I would say that 99% of the time they would donate the whole shebang of what I needed. The rest of the stores was always a cut in price.

One time when the girls were going to be cooking for their parents, I knew I was going to be needing a lot of the food. So I went to two different supermarkets and asked for only half of what I needed. Each store donated all the food I requested. I already had a list written with the half amounts out so they could see it. Neither one knew about the second store. Always ask to talk to the manager.

I know, it was a deceitful and sneaky way of doing business, but I saved the troop money so they could go camping the coming summer. I just made it a point to try and not go to the same store too often in the same year. I was able to get their craft needs and other products in order to save the troop account for the big things. Like camping and trips. :angel:

As long as there aren't many teenage boys, you'll be able to do it with 1 1/2 dogs per person..maybe a few more dogs to be safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom