Labor Day - Whatcha' All Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
Can you believe summer is almost over? What are you all cooking up? Any plans for Labor Day?

Last edited:
I'm going to check out all the boston butt recipes here and sil is going to cook one on the grill. We will probably have chicken and steak for those who aren't crazy about pork. I'm also looking for a Sicilian pasta salad recipe similar to one I bought at BJ's. I didn't like the way the herbs don't break down, so would like to make the dressing myself.

As far as I'm concerned, Labour Day consists of Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday!

Shrimp Jambalaya and maques choux on Friday
Grilled burgers stuffed with goat cheese and topped with mushrooms on Saturday.
BBQ chicken with tomato salad and corn bread on Sunday
Inordinate amounts of alka seltzer on Monday.....to offset the complications of the inordinate amount of booze that will compliment all that food.

Can't wait for the weekend. Taking off in the Airstream, meeting friends at horseneck beach and spending lots of time cooking, drinking and enjoying the beach.

Can't wait for the weekend. Taking off in the Airstream, meeting friends at horseneck beach and spending lots of time cooking, drinking and enjoying the beach.

Small world.... I live in New Bedford and we are taking off to Bay View Campground in Bourne... Enjoy!

Just the two of us, so I will be grilling steak, shrimp, portabellas/onions, grilled green tomatoes, salad and grilled garlic sour dough bread.

Last edited:
HH is helping a neighbor cook his first whole pig. I am decamping to VA Beach to bond with two of my sistahs and will arrive back home in time to ask for the lovely bits of tenderloin as that sweet little porker comes off the cooker.

Kim's going to fire up the smoker Sunday, and do a whole beef brisket, 12 racks of ribs, and a couple of 2 lb. "fatties". A fatty is a roll of pork sausage that's been rolled in Cajun (or your favorite) seasoning and smoked whole.
I'll put my Killer Baked Beans together in the speckled roaster for DH to cook on top of the smoker. I'm also making potato salad, using my regular recipe plus a packet of Italian dressing mix. We're buying slaw from Kentucky Fried Chicken, because theirs is pretty good and I am lazy. I like my Carolina Slaw better, but I can only do so much. Maybe I'll doctor it up a little.
We'll have assorted breads, condiments, pickles and sliced tomatoes on the side, and I have two people bringing desserts.
I invited most all of our friends, but it's a busy weekend, and you never know for sure who will show up. One girl, who has to work Sunday, is coming over for leftovers on Monday. :LOL:

Paul and I have talked about roasting a whole lamb (yes, in a pit in the front yard) so much that one of our friends has decided to do it. We'll bring Greek green beans and pita and others will bring other Greek treats. It'll be a day of Feasting and lots of drinking. It's a dang good thing we all have Monday off to recover. Ozo and tequila make for one whacky head ache. lol!

What am I cooking? Nuthin!

We'll be at the Detroit Grand Prix eating whatever is available at concessions there... ya I know, bring a supply of Tums and Imodium ... :LOL:

G

Constance, have you posted your baked bean recipe? If so, where might I find it? Thanks a bunch!

We are going to a friend's for Labor Day, our contributions are chicken kabobs, veggie salad, and a dip of some sort but haven't decided yet. I'm hoping they will have ribs though...RIBS ARE MY ALL TIME FAVORITE FOOD EVER!!

No clue what we are having. My friend has invited us over for Sunday, and she hasn't let me know what to bring. Note to self, call her today. Monday, our church is having a cook out and we may go to that.

Paul and I have talked about roasting a whole lamb (yes, in a pit in the front yard) so much that one of our friends has decided to do it. We'll bring Greek green beans and pita and others will bring other Greek treats. It'll be a day of Feasting and lots of drinking. It's a dang good thing we all have Monday off to recover. Ozo and tequila make for one whacky head ache. lol!

I see a spanokopita in your near future, yum. Can I come too? :) Sounds like an ozo-killer (quila). Sign me up for one of those. Can I have your recipe for the greek green beans? TIA:chef:

There you go Amy! Enjoy!!!!

Greek Beans and tomatoes

1 can green beans ( drained, I use home canned ones but you can use the store bought)

1 can tomatoes ( undrained, I use the home canned ones here too)
onions
garlic
olive oil
Salt, pepper, oregano and parsley

Sauté diced onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil until soft
add beans and tomatoes. Mix well. Add salt and pepper. Add spices either fresh or dried may be used.
Cook until liquid is almost gone.

It's my birthday weekend and having friends over. Making Ina's salmon stuffed with onions and fennel.

friday - working

saturday - working, then meeting dw and boy at one of her friend's houses for a pool party. the menu usually consists of a lot of chips and dips, grilled chicken and steak, and a ton o' booze.

sunday - either going down the shore, or to www.lomb.com

monday - working

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom