Mexican style dinner compatibility question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I am planning this diner, where I would like to make Mexican style chicken soup, Mexican style rice but for meat I have this brisket that I would like to cook. Do you think it would be ok? It is not really Mexican, the brisket I mean, is it? If I use some special seasoning would it make it ok? If yes, what kind of seasoning should I use?

I'm having hard time finding recipe for texmex brisket.

Or I should have said, there are recipes, but none of them look Mexican to me or even good. Any more help?

Andy, I am not making soup, the brisket is for the second coarse, thank you.

Have you thought about making just a regular brisket and serving it with corn and flour tortillas and all the fixin's (salsa, guacamole, cheese, shredded lettuce)?

When I make a brisket I get the kind with the fat on it. I season heavily with Tony's, wrap tightly in foil, and bake at 275 for at least 9 hours. It makes wonderful tacos.

Or you could slice it and serve with a Mexican tomato salad (tomato, onion, cilantro, mild peppers, avocado, corn, black beans) and rice and you're all set.

My husband is Mexican and at every family gathering there is a plain, baked brisket.

Oh there is also Ropa Vieja, which is Cuban, I think. That would still go with the theme.

CharlieD; Carne Asada means grilled beef. Simply marinade your brisket in a combination of water, lime juice, cilantro, onion, garlic, and bell peppers. Or, another equally great way to make this is to grill your brisket over charcoal (or gas, heavy sight) to rare, then cut it into cubes and stir-fry it with chopped onion, minced garlic, a little cumin and coriander, lime juice, salt, diced peppers, and cilantro. This mixture can then be used to fill tacos (made authentically by softening fresh corn tortillas in hot oil for about 15 seconds and then filling with the carne asada), or burritos. It can also be served over rice or with corn and refried beans. I made tamales filled with carne asada made from a chuck roast last week that came out amazing.

Oh, and if you've never had carne asada from a great little taco shop in the southwest, and don't know the flavor profile, then use Andy's recipe. It will make a very good carne asada as well. And don't forget to serve the sliced avocado on the side. Finish this with home made churoes (a very light pastry dough made from a yeast raised doughnut recipe, formed into a shape much like a bread stick, slightly thicker that a large Tootsie Roll, deep fried, and rolled in sugar and cinnamon) or a nice flan and you will have some happy dinner guests indeed. Good luck on your meal my friend.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the north

carnitas

CharlieD; Carne Asada means grilled beef. Simply marinade your brisket in a combination of water, lime juice, cilantro, onion, garlic, and bell peppers. Or, another equally great way to make this is to grill your brisket over charcoal (or gas, heavy sight) to rare, then cut it into cubes and stir-fry it with chopped onion, minced garlic, a little cumin and coriander, lime juice, salt, diced peppers, and cilantro. This mixture can then be used to fill tacos (made authentically by softening fresh corn tortillas in hot oil for about 15 seconds and then filling with the carne asada), or burritos. It can also be served over rice or with corn and refried beans. I made tamales filled with carne asada made from a chuck roast last week that came out amazing.

Oh, and if you've never had carne asada from a great little taco shop in the southwest, and don't know the flavor profile, then use Andy's recipe. It will make a very good carne asada as well. And don't forget to serve the sliced avocado on the side. Finish this with home made churoes (a very light pastry dough made from a yeast raised doughnut recipe, formed into a shape much like a bread stick, slightly thicker that a large Tootsie Roll, deep fried, and rolled in sugar and cinnamon) or a nice flan and you will have some happy dinner guests indeed. Good luck on your meal my friend.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the north

I totally agree with the Carne Asada idea...its easy to prepare and its very deliciouse...perfect with the mexican rice ur having:) or you cour also do a carnitas on the meat you have here is the recipe
Carnitas - Mexican Recipe
Good Luck!!!:chef:

I have to say, though none of the above advises would technically work for me, since I am not going to have a grill, neither will I be serving tortillas, I did get the gist of what kind of seasoning/marinade I can use to make plain old brisket to have somewhat Mexican flavor.
So, thank you again everybody.

Goodweed of the North, I do have to ask you if you have the recipe for churos though. Maybe I should try to make them from scratch. I have been cheating until now and using simple frozen Rhodes sweet dough to make them.

I am planning this diner, where I would like to make Mexican style chicken soup, Mexican style rice but for meat I have this brisket that I would like to cook. Do you think it would be ok? It is not really Mexican, the brisket I mean, is it? If I use some special seasoning would it make it ok? If yes, what kind of seasoning should I use?

Look for a good rub recipe that's Mexican in style, then use it on the brisket. Then I would go ahead and roast it in your usual manner. After a day with that rub on, the brisket is going to be "in the Mexican style" if not outright able to do the Hat Dance! ;)

I have a rub recipe at home, but not on this computer. I can post it later if you'd like.

That is exactly what I need, June. Please post it when you have time, I have a week or so before I make it, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom