Mom-in-Law’s feast questions. Timing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Hello again, friendly chefs! I realize I’m starting to cross the “annoying” line and pass into “pain in the rear” territory here, but y’all are so wonderful!

I’ve solved the gluten-free issues with the gravy and the dinner rolls. I think. I’ve just finished a surprisingly good turkey broth, made from roasted turkey drumsticks, onion, and celery for the gravy.

Here’s my dimella, as my husband likes to say.

Timing.

Can I make the bird at home and transport it the day of the feast to MIL’s house? We have two puppies (no, I’m not cooking THEM!). MIL can’t abide them, but I can’t leave them alone for more than a few hours, and every boarding facility is booked up for the holiday, of course. So, if I can engineer it, I’d like to wake up on Thursday morning (or just stay awake all night Wednesday), and transport the finished gobbler to Mom’s house. If I do this, will the turkey suffer from being re-heated? If it won’t, for how long at what temp? I’m already making the braised red cabbage, the butternut squash soup, the dinner rolls and dessert ahead of time, and in my own kitchen.

Sweet Moses! I’m enjoying this immensely, but it IS exhausting, and my brand new iPad is already telling me to STOP THE GOOGLING! Siri is TIRED! ?

I've catered turkey dinners for years and have always cooked things in advance and reheated..It needs to be well covered and reheated gently around 300 for 45 minutes then drop the temp to warm 250 to hold for another 20 minutes or so..depending on when you are ready to eat, so give yourself some time..The turkey can be cleaned, sliced and put in a casserole with about a half inch of turkey broth..this will keep it moist. The dressing can be done the same way. I would coat the dish in butter so the stuffing doesn't stick and burn. I check it and stir in some broth or gravy to keep it moist..This will save you lots of time and you can do your veggies while it is heating up...

All instructions aside it is really up too you to check it and see how it is progressing..so, give yourself some time

Last edited:
Over the river and through the woods... how far to MIL's house?

You could do 1a) carve the turkey and put in a covered casserole or 1b) take it whole and carve there. Either way lay a folded bath towel in a cooler, and cover with another bath towel and transport. No lifting the cooler cover to check if it's hot. It is, and will stay warm for several hours.

or 2) bring the whole turkey and some of the homemade broth to pour in the roaster and reheat at MIL's.

If you want to bring a fresh from the oven bird to the MIL's house, you can pull it from the oven, wrap it in foil, and pack it in a cooler with towels. It will stay hot for a few hours that way. Otherwise, you need to refrigerate it and re-heat it at her house. You either need to keep it hot during transport, or keep it cold and re-heat.

CD

Thanks, everyone!

Thank you for all of your terrific suggestion! I think I’ll start really early in the morning and wrap the gobbler in towels in a cooler; that seems like a winner, as Rose is only about 30 minutes away. (Rose is my MIL; but I think referring to her by name is more respectful than MIL, which can have distinctly negative connotations at times.) I didn’t know a turkey would stay warm for that long!

Should I remove the aromatics from the cavity before I transport?

Yes - remmove the aromatics and or anything else from the cavity.

Like Rock, my sis also cooks the turkey the day before, slices and wraps well in foil. Keep it moist and reheat gently. Follow Rock's advise. She does this every year as she always has a huge group come Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Ive done it for a hundred years, it feels like.

Turkeys stay hot for a very long time. A cooler works well, if your bird can fit into it.

I would not carve it before you arrive

Thank you for all of your terrific suggestion! I think I’ll start really early in the morning and wrap the gobbler in towels in a cooler; that seems like a winner, as Rose is only about 30 minutes away. (Rose is my MIL; but I think referring to her by name is more respectful than MIL, which can have distinctly negative connotations at times.) I didn’t know a turkey would stay warm for that long!

Should I remove the aromatics from the cavity before I transport?

You should probably take the aromatics out of the bird. Then wrap it in foil, then towels. Then into the cooler.

CD

As noted by earlier posts, you can hold a turkey pretty well but I wanted to throw another idea out if you wanted to try a little adventure...

the big easy turkey cooker is a fast way to cook a turkey. It's a propane driven convection cooker that makes amazing turkeys. I use this every year and brine the turkey the night before. Pull the bird out of the brine and pop it into the cooker - outside. A 15 lb turkey cooks in about 2.5 hours.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-TRU-Infrared-Oil-Less-Turkey-Fryer/dp/B001HBI7D8

we actually cook two turkeys - the first one gets eaten at t-day dinner and the second one cooks during dunner to be used as leftovers.

You could pack the bird in the brine bucket (which has ice in it) and the cooker over to MILs and cook it there.

here's my brine recipe for a 5 gal bucket.:

1/2 gal apple juice
1/2 gal veg stock - low salt
1 C salt
bag of ice
1/4 C pickling spice
1 T allspice
3 bay leaves
1 stem rosemary
1/2 gal water - just enough to cover bird.

Last edited:
As noted by earlier posts, you can hold a turkey pretty well but I wanted to throw another idea out if you wanted to try a little adventure...

the big easy turkey cooker is a fast way to cook a turkey. It's a propane driven convection cooker that makes amazing turkeys. I use this every year and brine the turkey the night before. Pull the bird out of the brine and pop it into the cooker - outside. A 15 lb turkey cooks in about 2.5 hours.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-TRU-Infrared-Oil-Less-Turkey-Fryer/dp/B001HBI7D8

we actually cook two turkeys - the first one gets eaten at t-day dinner and the second one cooks during dunner to be used as leftovers.

You could pack the bird in the brine bucket (which has ice in it) and the cooker over to MILs and cook it there.

here's my brine recipe for a 5 gal bucket.:

1/2 gal apple juice
1/2 gal veg stock - low salt
1 C salt
bag of ice
1/4 C pickling spice
1 T allspice
3 bay leaves
1 stem rosemary
1/2 gal water - just enough to cover bird.
That’s sounds delish. Maybe for Christmas.

Thanks everyone, but it’s all moot.

I loved all of your suggestions. I kind of came to the decision to actually show up at Rose’s House really early and cook it there, but she’s decided that she wants to cook the turkey slowly, overnight, so she can have the smell of roasting turkey when she wakes up. So Mark went over there tonight, and took the turkey with him.

Bitter and angry, party of one, your table’s ready!

If my venting is inappropriate, I apologize. I’ve been researching and preparing for this for weeks (y’all know that, I’ve posted incessantly and probably annoyingly), and it hurts that my hard work, research and prep is just going down the drain. I apologize sincerely for my little rant, and I know I his is a cooking forum, not an online counseling session! I BEG your forgiveness!

I loved all of your suggestions. I kind of came to the decision to actually show up at Rose’s House really early and cook it there, but she’s decided that she wants to cook the turkey slowly, overnight, so she can have the smell of roasting turkey when she wakes up. So Mark went over there tonight, and took the turkey with him.

If my venting is inappropriate, I apologize. I’ve been researching and preparing for this for weeks (y’all know that, I’ve posted incessantly and probably annoyingly), and it hurts that my hard work, research and prep is just going down the drain. I apologize sincerely for my little rant, and I know I his is a cooking forum, not an online counseling session! I BEG your forgiveness!

Hmmm...why not just let go of bitter and angry, let Mark do what he feels is best for his mom and Tgiving dinner, and show up with a smile and a hug....maybe some flowers...? It's not so much about the food as it is the family getting together. :)

Hmmm...why not just let go of bitter and angry, let Mark do what he feels is best for his mom and Tgiving dinner, and show up with a smile and a hug....maybe some flowers...? It's not so much about the food as it is the family getting together. :)
You’re absolutely right, and that’s why I vented a little on this forum, instead of venting at Rose’s house and spoiling her and my husband’s holiday feast. I thank you for your suggestion, which I will take to heart, and wish you and yours the most delicious and happy thanksgiving!

I don't need a MIL to ruin my plans, I have my mother. In fact, my MIL and I got along great -- as long as she didn't stay with us too long. :LOL:

So, go ahead and be bitter and angry for a while. Get it out of your system, then go and make the best of the situation. Eat, drink and be merry.

Then, make Mark pay. Bwahaahaa. Just kidding... maybe.

I can't tell you how many times I said my wife, "don't let it get to you, that's just the way she is."

I know how you feel. If I'm cooking the turkey, I'm cooking the turkey. Which is why I don't cook the turkey. I just shut up and eat what's on the table. As I get older, the more I realize that some things... actually most things, aren't worth getting worked up about.

CD

Last edited:
That's ok JJ. You'll have several days to simmer down and mask any disappointment. The day is more about giving thanks and sharing. You can still bring other dishes and that is also a big contribution to the day. Overall, I think this was a good discussion.

Thank you all

Thank you all for your suggestions, and for reminding me Thanksgiving isn’t about the bird, it’s about the family, and giving thanks for the positive things in our lives.

Update: The turkey is still up in the air (pun intended), but there WILL be a beautiful one on the table, regardless of who cooks it or how it gets cooked, or where. The butternut squash (and sweet potato, onion, and orange bell pepper) soup is delicious, just needs to be finished off with a little butter and cream before serving.

I’m thinking of making the rolls and the coffee cake tonight, because I’ve never cooked gluten free, and if the first batches fail somehow, I’ll have time to make new ones. If I’m successful, though, I’ll have Parkerhouse rolls and coffee cake sitting in the house for a day and a half. The coffee cake’s easy, but what do y’all think is the best way to warm the rolls?

Back
Top Bottom