Moms Birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenChef

Assistant Cook
Ok, so i was planning on making my mom a decent sized meal for ther birthday in 2 weeks any tips? i was going to make some thing with chicken, a vegetable, and a soup, but i don't have any idea of what to make

A possible menu which would eable you to make the starter and dessert the day previously.

Avocado Pistachio Pate with Herb Toasts (Starter)

1 1/2 cups mashed avocado ( About 2 )
125g packaged cream cheese
2 onions, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp finely chopped pistachios
1 tsp finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

Process avocado, cheese, onion, garlic, juice and chilli until smooth..
Line two 1 cup moulds with plastic wrap, sprinkle nuts into base of each mould; pour in avocado mixture..
Cover, place in fridge for about 3 hours. Turn out of moulds, sprinkle with parsley; serve with herb toasts.

Chicken and Tarragon (Main Course)
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon

Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and sauté until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to platter. Cove with foil to keep warm.

Add shallots to same skillet and sauté 1 minute. Add wine and mustard and bring to simmer. Add cream and 1 1/2 tablespoons tarragon. Simmer until slightly thickened, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet. Simmer until chicken is heated through, about 1 minute.

Transfer chicken and sauce to platter. Sprinkle rest of tarragon over and serve.

Makes 4 servings.

Lemon Pudding (Dessert)
¾ c sugar
¼ c cornstarch
2 ½ c milk
3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
Pinch salt
½ c fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature

Whisk the sugar and the cornstarch together in a medium saucepan. Add the milk and whisk until smooth. Add the egg yolks, zest, and salt and cook, stirring frequently at first and constantly towards the end, over medium heat until thickened enough to thickly coat the back of spoon.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and butter. Pour through a strainer into a large serving bowl individual serving dishes.

cool to room temperature. Chill, , for at least 2 hours or until set and thoroughly chilled.

If your in the mood for a nice juicy fattening chicken dish "lol", do this. I have done it at least a dozen times. Actually more. It's my husbands favorite dish. My friends love it and when I was having luncheons, they wouldn't even let me try anything else on them...they kept wanting this.

Serve with mashed potatoes and lemon pepper green beans.

Anniversary Chicken I - Allrecipes

TeenChef said:
Ok, so i was planning on making my mom a decent sized meal for ther birthday in 2 weeks any tips? i was going to make some thing with chicken, a vegetable, and a soup, but i don't have any idea of what to make

Little help! Little help here!

Give us an idea of what kind of chicken; whole chicken, whole chicken cut up, chicken parts (parts is parts!). Boneless? Skinless? Breasts? Thighs? Drumsticks? The part that went over the fence last?

Also, what style of cuisine are you considering? Italian? French? Alsace-Lorrainian? Russian? Chinese? Vietnamese? Indonesian? Indian? Native American?

Chicken cacciatore is simple and easy to make. Served with a side of some type of macaroni and a green salad, it could be considered a somewhat elegant meal.

I have an Asian fusion version of Cashew Chicken using whole breasts that would blow her socks (does your mom wear socks?) off! It's served on a bed of rice noodles, and you could add a steamed or stir fried Asian style vegetable medley along with wonton, hot & sour, or egg drop soup to round out the menu.

thanks for your tips and ideas, though i'm not entirly sure which to choose, i probably will use one though, so thanks!!!

Here's the first chicken dish I made, and I'm still making it now:

Put your chicken pieces in a sprayed casserole dish. Sprinkle chicken with a little pepper (no salt...the soup has enough) and spoon 1-2 cans un-diluted Golden Chicken Mushroom soup over the top. Top with thin slices of tomato, if you want.
Cover with foil and bake in oven at 350 for about an hour, or until chicken is tender and juices run clear when pieces are pricked with a fork.

If you wish, you may cook potatoes along with the chicken. Just slice the washed potatoes, peeled or not, into 3/4-1" wedges, place around chicken, and bake. You may also add a drained can of mushrooms and/or sliced pimentoes at this time.

Serve with a salad or your favorite green vegetable. If you all are bread eaters, I'd recommend heating up rolls from your store's bakery. It's best to keep things simple when you're first learning to cook.

For dessert, here's a simple but delicious chocolate pie recipe I got from my daughter. It's a lowfat recipe, but you can use the regular ingredients instead, if you wish. It will be even richer and creamier that way.

Double Chocolate Pudding Pie

1-1/2 cups cold skim milk; divided
1 package Jello chocolate pudding mix; fat free
1 package Jello white choc pudding mx; fat free
1 tub Cool Whip; fat free
1 graham cracker crust (8 or 9 in)

Pour 3/4 cup milk into a medium bowl. Add chocolate pudding mix and beat on low for 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 of Cool Whip. Spoon evenly into crust. Pour remaining milk into another bowl. Add white chocolate pudding mix and beat 1 minute. Stir in remaining Cool Whip. Spread over chocolate layer. Refrigerate 4 hours, until set.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom