Mother's Day plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
so what's everyone doing/eating for mommy's day?

we are planning to head to the poconos for a day of painful outlet shopping. the last time we were there, we spent an eternity in shoe stores.

we were in dsw shoes so long that i mentioned to my boy that this was where evil men go when they die.

a nearby sales girl laughed so hard she fell out of her very low cut top.

i hope we go back. :mrgreen:

i took my boy out shopping before practice tonight. i knew dw liked john hardy jewelry, so we hit up neiman marcus. i let the little guy pick out a bracelet and earrings. i think what he chose was really cool. since i've mentioned that my wife was my "moon and stars", a reference to the hbo series "game of thrones", i liked that he picked out a matching set that featured dragons and diamonds from the hardy naga lava collection. from now on, she'll be my "mother of dragons". i hope she likes them.

so anyway, we're heading to the poconos sunday, then out to our favourite bbq joint, big daddy's 2 family bbq in bartonsville.

they have GREAT bbq, really good french onion soup, awesome baked beans with big chunks of bacon, and delicious northern style cornbread with pecan butter.

i know this is all going over the top, but i have a reason. when my boy was born, we couldn't celebrate too much as my mil was dying. we were taking care of her at the time, so it was especially tough on dw, umm, my mother of dragons. my mil died 4 months later, so to me, mother's day is a big deal.

i feel badly to not spend the day with my own mother, but my sisters will he there, so i sent an edible arrangement for them all to enjoy (my mom says every mother's day, her house looks like funeral home with all of the flowers), so i sent the next best thing as far as a foodie goes. and we're going down next week with a bunch of frozen meals (pea soup, lamb stew, lasagna, etc.) so she won't have to cook so much, and we'll grill some lobster, shrimp and steaks - something my depression era parents would never splurge on, for our dinner.

anywho, what's everyone up to on sunday, mama's day.

my heart goes out to those who've moms have passed on. you will be in my thoughts and the full rosary that i say every mother's day.

but any special pans? what's on your menu?

Last edited:
My mom has gone to glory and DH's mom is on her way (actually I believe she's already there in her mind). We just got home from visiting her in Michigan. Both my sons will be working so it will be a quiet day at home. I'll cook something but not sure what just yet. Nothing special. Just glad my sons are working! So many young men are out of jobs so I'm thankful they are employed.

Tomorrow we are having mum over for a Mothers Day lunch :)

We are making a lovely Italian dish, Sausage Carbonara, very rich and creamy and also making some garlic bread

For dessert we are making a Classic Baked Cheesecake and will be enjoyed with some nice white wine too :)

Looking forward to it and to giving mum all her presents :)

Last edited:
We will begin our day at church. The men lost in a "battle" to raise the most money for a fund-raiser for a local pregnancy crisis center, so they have to make breakfast for the women on Mother's Day.

We haven't really discussed where we will eat, but the money is running low and we need to buy a part for the lawn mower, so it won't be anything fancy. The plan is to eat and share memories of our moms with each other.

Our kids are in OH, my SIL (who lives up the street and around the corner) has two daughters down in FL, so I now have a reason to clean house - I asked SIL and her hubby over.;) We'll be having spaghetti with some of that 9 quarts of nectar I made earlier this week. I'll make a huge salad, she's bringing homemade cheesecake, part of which will have blueberries, and I have three (3!) bottles of wine.:) We aren't drinking them all - it's to have a choice!

Himself took me out for Mother's Day - once. To a favorite place we would go to regularly. The food wasn't as good as usual, the service was slower, and it seemed like the prices were higher. Fuggetaboutit. We'll probably take a day trip down to the Cape in a week or two - 90 miles each way to a favorite pub.

My mom too is basking in God's glory. God just called my wife's mom home a month ago. She was 84. So we are staying home this year and I am making a feast. We are having several friends and their children over after church tomorrow. I am playing hookie after sunday school to cook. Roast, rolls, cream potatoes, corn pudding, and several bring along plates from the friends. I made my wife's favorite cheese cake last night. Gonna be a wonderful day.

We lost my Mom in 2009. Mother's Day has kinda lost much of its luster, at least as far as I'm concerned. And to make matters even more difficult, a good friend passed away Thursday evening after a long battle with cancer. She will be buried on Mother's Day.

Daughter and family taking me to brunch.
When she was growing up I told hubbie and her no presents.
I want to have a day to myself where everyone fends for themselves.
If I want to stay in bed - go away - the tv channels were mine for the day
Don't ask me where anything is or what for lunch ,dinner etc
If I get in the car don't ask where you going
It was the day I usually spent planting my flowers,
It work for many years. the 2 of them would just disappear by themselves

Really haven't given much thought to Mother's Day. All my children are strewn far and wide so none of them will be here. However, I did receive a lovely tulip and iris fresh arrangement from them all. Hard to believe one can send fresh flowers via UPS and have them arrive as if they'd just been picked from the yard.

We did Glenn's mother's Mother's Day earlier in the week because she's going to be "out of pocket" tomorrow with one of her grandchildren.

Glenn's children will be devoting their attentions to their own mother, which is as it should be.

At any rate, I do know we're going to have lamb ribs cooked on the grill and beyond that I have no clue. I'll have to poke around in the freezer to see what inspires me and go from there for the rest of the meal. I do feel the desire to bake some sort of decadent dessert but I'll have to wait to see how today shapes up as I intend to spend a good deal of it "playing in flowers" outside.

Last edited:
I got nice cards from my three stepkids. Shrek's Mom died two and a half years ago, so it's down to my Mom. She got her pair of wellies, which she loves, and several MD e-cards that I sent. The card that came with her wellies had a short poem I wrote. My day tomorrow will be spent at work, passing out small gifts to our female residents. I also have a special present for one resident whose only child was killed in a car accident earlier this year.

I got nice cards from my three stepkids. Shrek's Mom died two and a half years ago, so it's down to my Mom. She got her pair of wellies, which she loves, and several MD e-cards that I sent. The card that came with her wellies had a short poem I wrote. My day tomorrow will be spent at work, passing out small gifts to our female residents. I also have a special present for one resident whose only child was killed in a car accident earlier this year.
Oh thank you, thank you, thank you for doing this! :flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:

Since we really can't afford to go out, I decided that our Mother's Day dinner tomorrow will be quick and easy, and something we both love. Hot dogs, cottage cheese, and baked beans. Then a long nap, followed by the season finale of "Once Upon a Time," and chef salads for supper. :cool:

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you for doing this! :flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:

+1! What a sweet thing to do, PF!

I lost my mom in January. Still dealing with the aftermath. I nagged DH into sending a card to his mother, who's like the Eveready Bunny. She's had almost every part replaced along with breast reduction surgery, and she keeps going! As does DH's dad! Unfortunately, they live clear across the country.

Tomorrow we'll try to use up leftover ham.

Last edited:
My youngest lives abouth 35 minutes away. Seems like that is just too far away for him to travel. He works just ten minutes away and that is too far also after work. So I don't expect to see him. If I am lucky, he might call. And I am still waiting for those farm fresh eggs.

I am just happy and grateful that I see Spike everyday. He shows up saying that I need my "Teddy fix" for the day. But I know different. Although that is true. I don't expect any present from him.

The Pirate lives about 20 minutes away and has transportation problem. And if he were to use public transportation on a Sunday it could take him two or more hours. But I know he will call.

My daughter plans on stopping by. It all depends on how she feels. That I understand.

Food? What ever I feel like making. Probably scrambled eggs or some pasta with butter.

Whenever I have a conflicting problem, I stop and remember I have to make a choice. Where do I say No to one person and Yes to another. I wish my youngest one would learn this lesson. I know his career keeps him hopping. But the main idea why he changed jobs was so that he could have more personal time. So he has filled up that time with more career work. I just hopes he wakes up before it is too late. :angel:

Last edited:
It is Mothers Day here today :)

Mum will be coming over at 12pm for a wonderful lunch!

We tried a slice each of the classic baked cheesecake we made for mum yesterday, it is unbelievably good....she will love it :)

Jr is going to his GF family for Mother’s Day. Knowing Jr, he will call his mom later Sunday night, not send a card and she might not seem like she eyes the telephone, I know her well enought to know she will keep her ears peeled all day. He sees and talks with his mom often, she is loved and appreciated. It’s a holiday, a special day. And that to me, is the part that counts.

I asked what she wishes to do on Mother’s Day. She agreed I might treat her with brunch. Her house. Neither of us care to go out on holidays, too many crowds and generally over priced buffets , and is there ever enough time to relax in all the frenzy of the moment.

So here’s the later morning breakfast Plan . Oven roast asparagus. Scramble up some eggs and snip some garden chives. I tried some Johnsonville brand breakfast sausage links recent, they were pretty good, kind of mild. I picked up another pkg these. I nabbed a nice looking although exceedlingly large loaf of seedy crusty bread for toast and I bought a frozen real key lime pie, Imported from Florida, and a basket of strawberries to slice on top. This seems kind of put to-gether rather than hands on/ home-made on paper. Well, I guess it’s Festive and is not too heavy a meal. I also plan serving glasses of faux mimosas with sparky water and oj and she can make coffee. The only other thing I know, is to do up the dishes afterward. Then we can have a 2nd cuppa and relax with the day.

Happy Mother's Day to you and yours.

My mom's been gone for over 30 years and SO's since she was six. I still think about mom on this day (and others).

However, I'm very happy to be able to celebrate SO's Mothers Day as her kids are in Florida. She deserves all the attention and care she can get. Her kids and grandchildren have/will call today. I'm doubly happy as I can celebrate my older daughter's Mothers Day. Although efforts to get her six year old to take her breakfast in bed were rejected. He thought that was just silly.

So, Happy Mothers Day to all you Moms, step-moms, spouses, mothers-to-be and all who have earned the title.

Feeling sort of melancholy. Mom and I used to talk every Sunday, I catch myself going to pick up the phone to call her. She died in January.

Sibs and I will plant her ashes in Canada sometime in June. Should be interesting with the whole fam damnly.

Been trying to call my Mom...but she's out and about.

Had a lovely morning at the facility, handing out presents (perfumes and scented soaps) to the residents. My special case loved the slippers and buckwheat/lavender filled hot or cold neckwrap.

Back
Top Bottom