My Big Fat Christmas Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Well, here goes, my one blowout of the year. I can't believe I used to do this several times a year. Then went to twice a year. Then my husband got attacked by a wasps nest preparing for the summer party and was told to never get stung by anything bigger than a mosquito ever again, so summer party went tango uniform. It is funny, we always get to this point. If everyone shows up who RSVPd, we may have 75. That'll be a record. I joke with hubby, if 20 say they'll come, 40 show, if 80 say they'll come, 40 show. Last year they amazed me, we had a horrid ice storm, and 45 people still braved the weather and our lousy road. I use the party as a drive for our local food bank, and am a big believer in potluck. Still, 70? Que sera, sera! I made twice the Cincinatti chili that I usually make, bought twice the booze. Am I prepared? We'll see.

As long as you have your booze, yep, you're ready for whatever, heheh!!

I would love to go to a "real" Christmas party for once.
Have fun!!

Well, here goes, my one blowout of the year. I can't believe I used to do this several times a year. Then went to twice a year. Then my husband got attacked by a wasps nest preparing for the summer party and was told to never get stung by anything bigger than a mosquito ever again, so summer party went tango uniform. It is funny, we always get to this point. If everyone shows up who RSVPd, we may have 75. That'll be a record. I joke with hubby, if 20 say they'll come, 40 show, if 80 say they'll come, 40 show. Last year they amazed me, we had a horrid ice storm, and 45 people still braved the weather and our lousy road. I use the party as a drive for our local food bank, and am a big believer in potluck. Still, 70? Que sera, sera! I made twice the Cincinatti chili that I usually make, bought twice the booze. Am I prepared? We'll see.

I hope your party is a huge success for your food bank. I'll thinking of you while I do my bread baking fundraiser for our church's food pantry from 5-10 tonight. No booze at mine. I have to stay sober to make sure the bread comes out right.:LOL:

Sounds wonderful. Haven't been to a Christmas party in many years that wasn't family-oriented.

:)

Anni, I think I'm the last person in town who throws a party (I live in a small town). When I first moved here you couldn't turn around without hitting a holiday party. But now many of my friends are widowed or aged. I still have a husband, and he does his fair share of the work involved. A friend asked me last night if I needed anything. A bag of ice. This friend does his share of the work. He always helps my older friends get in and out of the house (it is about 20 steps from the street to the door). But we're beginning to realize that we may be the last people who throw a party.

I didn't realize that I hadn't updated this. The party was a huge success, I'm sitting in a room full of items for our local food bank. My "rule of 40" that my husband teases me about was true to form. I think we had 42 or thereabouts (it was something like two degrees out, and some of my older friends couldn't get out). Plus I'm still giving away food that was left in potluck tradition. I have a couple of elderly friends (one blind, one crippled with both forms of arthritis), and I bring them the perishable foods in single meal forms, and the extra sweets that they can eat or give away to their care-givers' children. The two specialities went like wildfire. My Cincinnati Chili, and my husband's eggnog. I swear, he made one quart of it non-alcoholic, and a gallon of it with rum. At one point we knew certain friends who were fans of the stuff hadn't arrived yet, and it was going quickly. Next year he says he'll make a gallon N/A and two with rum.

Back
Top Bottom