New year's menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zhizara said:
Me too. I used to get a champagne headache that felt like an ice pick stabbed into my brain. It's one night I NEVER go out. Amatuer night, people drinking and driving that don't usually do that. Nope, not me. I go to bed at a reasonable hour and wake up when the noise starts, wish myself a Happy New Year, and go back to sleep.

Never had a hangover in my life. It's gonna be my 20th birthday and everyone wants to take me out for a drink. I don't celebrate new year, just my birthday being on the 1st Jan.

Finger food. Not sure what yet--but probably a variation of a smorgåsbord but will include spring rolls and other "non-traditional" things re: a
smorgåsbord.

I'm planning a cassoulet.

I've bought 3 ducks for Christmas dinner, and I'm going to serve the breasts with a dried cherry gastrique. I'll confit the legs & thighs to use for cassoulet on New Year's Day.

Add to the list of finger food spread we're laying out on the dining room table I'm grilling a batch of hot wings rubbed with some Habanero Death Dust I was given for X'mas.
I'll also fire up the pizza oven outside for some ambiance and for those who want to roast marshmallows, mochis, or whatever.

New Year's Eve I am going to a pot luck.
New Year's Day- Pork Roast, Sauerkraut, Mashed Potatoes, Black-eyed Peas and other veggies to be determined later. Maybe Honey Glazed Carrots and Lemon Peppered Green Beans.

After reading other posts, I have decided on Carrots and Kale. Corn Bread sounds good but then so does Rye Bread. I am still up in the air about the bread.:chef:

After reading other posts, I have decided on Carrots and Kale. Corn Bread sounds good but then so does Rye Bread. I am still up in the air about the bread.:chef:

You could have cornbread and rye. Cornbread and kale and black eyed peas are traditional together. Everything sure sounds yummy!

Out to dinner early New Year's Eve. Then back to our place for champagne and a belated Christmas celebration.

New Years Day we'll probably have some combination of things we traditionally do. Shrimp cocktail, marinated herring, etc.

Our plans changed. We're not going out to dinner. I made a batch of marinated mushrooms today using FRESH crimini. I also plan on making a batch of pickled shrimp according to a recipe posted here. We have champagne and some other finger foods as well. Some tempura shrimp, scallops wrapped in bacon and who knows what else.

And if some of this spills over into Sunday, that will be some tailgating food for the last game of the regular game.

we're going to the devils' game with a couple of nieces and nephews, then out for spanish/portugese with everyone.

i know for a fact that camarones al ajillo will be on the menu, as well and paella, lobsters, and chuletas.

i don't know what everyone else is having... :pig::pig::pig:

:mrgreen:

Shrimp in a garlic/butter/white wine sauce with brown rice and steamed asparagus. Homemade Devil's Food Cake with dark chocolate ganache for dessert, plus, I'm making bittersweet chocolate truffles.

For New Year's Eve dinner have sweet sausages with peppers and onions on hoagie rolls with some salad on the side (macaroni or potato).

New Year's Day dinner is a standing pork roast with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.

For New Year's Eve dinner have sweet sausages with peppers and onions on hoagie rolls with some salad on the side (macaroni or potato).

New Year's Day dinner is a standing pork roast with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.

Do you put the sauerkruat on your mashed potatoes?:yum:View attachment 12698

Last edited:
New Years Eve is traditionally what we call "Butterfest" at our house. Usually this is the last day we pig out before starting the annual New Year Diet :)rolleyes:), so we have Crab, Lobster, Artichokes, or whatever else we can find that requires being drenched or bathed in butter. All washed down with copious amounts of sparkling wine, of course.

New Year's Day means Oyster Stew. I love the stuff. I don't know why we don't make it more often. New Year's Day is about the only time we ever have it.

hey Steve, can we get the recipe for that oyster stew?

We have a bunch of gourmet goodies -- a friend who visits from France always brings us cans of pate, we keep the cheese drawer full of our favorites, especially local artisinal cheeses (we live in dairy-land), I have several jars of marinaded veggies (mushrooms, asparagus, artichoke hearts). So when the mood strikes us, we're going to lounge around and munch rather than do sit-down.

We had planned to stay home tonight, but dear friends invited us over for dinner, so we'll do that. We are all just returning from Christmas with family, so it'll be good to catchup with them.

Tomorrow, who knows?

Ham for sure. Not sure about my sides yet. Maybe Mac and cheese, rolls, some kind of veggie.

New's Day we are guests...New Year's Eve I will host and do up a standing rib roast of beef w/ Yorkshire pudding and the fixings...sauteed savoy cabbage, roasted potatoes, parsnips, and carrots.

Well due to popular demand:

The roast and Yorkshire pudding stay, but the potatoes are escalloped au gratin, the spinach is creamed, there will be roasted tomatoes, and the jus has become Cabernet mushroom sauce. luckily a lot is make this morning and stick in tonight :)

Happy New Year all, diets to follow :chef:

Hi everyone.
Im a newble.This is my first post.please call me lovesweets.

The comments that everyone makes in this forum are really helpful.Its a great place.

Im a university student in Japan.
From my university we can see Mt.Fuji.
Its all covered in snow.
I have a comment and question.
If you would New year's day what kind of dinner would you eat?

Its nice to meet you all.
Have a fun day.

lovesweets

You already entered the New Year in Japan. What are your plans? Attending any regional celebrations during the day?
And perhaps you can increase your post count here at DC between classes....:)))

BTW, I will be roasting some omochi with kinako this evening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom