New year's menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovesweets

Washing Up
Hi everyone.
Im a newble.This is my first post.please call me lovesweets.

The comments that everyone makes in this forum are really helpful.Its a great place.

Im a university student in Japan.
From my university we can see Mt.Fuji.
Its all covered in snow.
I have a comment and question.
If you would New year's day what kind of dinner would you eat?

Its nice to meet you all.
Have a fun day.

lovesweets

Last edited:
New Year's Eve I am going to a pot luck.
New Year's Day- Pork Roast, Sauerkraut, Mashed Potatoes, Black-eyed Peas and other veggies to be determined later. Maybe Honey Glazed Carrots and Lemon Peppered Green Beans.

This is for New Years Eve AND New years Day - Cold cuts, homemade dips, salas, guacamole, olive salad, bean salad, macaroni salad, potato salad, french bread, rolls, crackers and lemon meringue pie.

New Year's Eve I am going to a pot luck.
New Year's Day- Pork Roast, Sauerkraut, Mashed Potatoes, Black-eyed Peas and other veggies to be determined later. Maybe Honey Glazed Carrots and Lemon Peppered Green Beans.

The BLPs are good luck and the carrot "coins" simulate money coming in. The more you eat the more prosperous the new year will be. ;)

I am doing kielbasa, pork, sauerkraut, pickled beets, rye bread and pierogies.

I need to come up with a sweet finale! :pig:

Out to dinner early New Year's Eve. Then back to our place for champagne and a belated Christmas celebration.

New Years Day we'll probably have some combination of things we traditionally do. Shrimp cocktail, marinated herring, etc.

New's Day we are guests...New Year's Eve I will host and do up a standing rib roast of beef w/ Yorkshire pudding and the fixings...sauteed savoy cabbage, roasted potatoes, parsnips, and carrots.

Gee, we haven't even had Christmas dinner yet! lol

New Year's for me will the the last day of my football challenge. I will be featuring something Pittsburgh may or may not be known for.

New Years Eve is traditionally what we call "Butterfest" at our house. Usually this is the last day we pig out before starting the annual New Year Diet :)rolleyes:), so we have Crab, Lobster, Artichokes, or whatever else we can find that requires being drenched or bathed in butter. All washed down with copious amounts of sparkling wine, of course.

New Year's Day means Oyster Stew. I love the stuff. I don't know why we don't make it more often. New Year's Day is about the only time we ever have it.

Black-eye peas, hog jowl, turnip/mustard/collard/cabbage greens.and cornbread. ~ It's sorta a Southern Tradition ~ Peas are "coins", greens are "cash" cornbread is "gold" ....All for good luck, health and wealth in the New Year ~ Some say you must eat 365 peas...one for each day of the year ~ I've eaten this meal each year for a life time....this year will be no different.

Fun!

Last edited:
For our annual New Year's Day open house, we have the same menu as Uncle Bob, but without the greens. We also drink mimosas. Our guests are encouraged to bring all their leftover Christmas cookies and such so we can all get rid of them.

nice extra signature line ya got there, UB.....

I have the ingredients for two pies. Accidentally thawed half the meat. So we'll be having it sooner AND later. Christmas eve (after midnight mass) was the tradition in my family. My husband loves he stuff, so I'll bake one Christmas eve day, then probably again new year's eve afternoon. We're invited to a lot of places over the next couple of weeks, so having them on hand for a slice at brunch, lunch, dinner, or just a slice to line your stomach before a night of drinking is good. They freeze well and nuke well.

Lots of alcohol makes me sick. I'll throw everything up during the night and feel completely miserable and nauseous the next day. Not worth it.

Me too. I used to get a champagne headache that felt like an ice pick stabbed into my brain. It's one night I NEVER go out. Amatuer night, people drinking and driving that don't usually do that. Nope, not me. I go to bed at a reasonable hour and wake up when the noise starts, wish myself a Happy New Year, and go back to sleep.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom