Please help with numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I think my question fits into planing. Here it is, I know we talked about this before but I cannot find that thread. I need to multiply recipe by 10 or 15. Can somebody, please help me. I am terible at all this spoons, and cups, and other measuring things. I wish it was all metric. Here is http://www.lachoy.com/recipes/sschicken.jsp] the link[/url]

I think my question fits into planing. Here it is, I know we talked about this before but I cannot find that thread. I need to multiply recipe by 10 or 15. Can somebody, please help me. I am terible at all this spoons, and cups, and other measuring things. I wish it was all metric. Here is http://www.lachoy.com/recipes/sschicken.jsp] the link[/url]

All the quantities in that recipe are 1's, except the vegetable oil.

That makes it very easy to multiply.

Sweet & Sour Chicken

2 x 10 = 20 tablespoons Wesson® Vegetable Oil, divided
1 x 10 = 10 small onion, chopped
1 x 10 = 10 large red bell pepper, seeded, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 x 10 = 10 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, sliced into 2 x 1/2-inch slices

and so on ......

There are 16 Tablespoons in a cup. So 20T = a cup and a quarter.

Last edited:
Charlie - 4 TBS equals 1/4 cup. So, if you are multiplying this by 10 here is your recipe:

2 1/4 Cups Wesson® Vegetable Oil, divided
10 small onion, chopped
10 large red bell pepper, seeded, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
10 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, sliced into 2 x 1/2-inch slices
10 can (8 ounces) La Choy® Bamboo Shoots, drained
10 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
10 jar (10 ounces) La Choy Sweet & Sour Sauce
1/2 cup plus 2 TBS La Choy Soy Sauce
1/2 cup plus 2 TBS cornstarch
1/2 cup plus 2 TBS water

In this recipe this is the most important conversion.
4 TBS = 1/4 cup

If it calls for 1 TBS and you multiply by 10 that equals 10 TBS. 10 TBS equals 1/2 cup then there are 2 TBS to complete the amount. 2 TBS equals 1/8 of a cup

Did that help you or confuse you?

Last edited:
Wow Charlie thats alot of chicken!
What time's dinner... may take a little longer in the snow.....
:)

Charlie, with the onion, you can judge it yourself. If you have large onions and they are approximately double small ones (I am supposing here), then you could use five, etc.

What I would probably do is use 1/2 thighs and 1/2 breasts - it will decrease costs and increase flavour!

But this is all just my opinion!

I hate this, I really do. Just think about it 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons. What if I was doing some odd amount of chicken. Which I may still will have to do. Most likely 15 lb, is what I'm going to be making. Gee that is a lot of chicken... Maybe i will do 10.
Anyways so 1/2 cup + 2 TS(=1/8)=1/2+1/8=5/8 of a cup, is it corect?
Did I say I hate this?

Charlie, with the onion, you can judge it yourself. If you have large onions and they are approximately double small ones (I am supposing here), then you could use five, etc.

What I would probably do is use 1/2 thighs and 1/2 breasts - it will decrease costs and increase flavour!

But this is all just my opinion!

Thank you, but I already have meat in the freezer. Besides, my wife, the princess(and I love her no matter what) only eats white meat. Go figure, i do not like white meat, i only like the dark meat. So when i buy a whole chicken it works really well for us. :LOL:

Charlie, the general rule is about 4 - 6 ounces of meat per person. For a recipe like this, you should be able to get 4 people per pound. Then I usually add one more pound (actually I add 10%) to be safe.

I hope I am not upsetting the apple cart again, but thought that might help.

Thank you, that is actually really good to know info. My problem is I do not know how many people are coming.

either it is not there, or I'm looking in the wrong place, but I did not see table spoon conversions.

Also I have another question about this plan. I used to buy gallon size containers of La Choy sweet and sour sauce. But now I can't find anywhere and nobody even has information on the simple fact if company even makes that size. I hate to buy 20 little glass jars, it is such a waist.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom