Pot luck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marygio

Assistant Cook
I'm going to a pot luck lunch at a friends river house. Need something easy to bring either to bake there or premake. Needs to feed alot of people, any suggestions would be wonderful!:cool:

- Mary

Here's a crowd-pleaser that I developed & have been serving for years. I've yet to leave a party with anything but an empty bowl. When bringing this to a warm outdoor venue, what I do is place the bowl the salad is in inside another larger bowl that's been filled with crushed ice.

"Blue Cheese Potato Salad"

3 pounds white thin-skinned potatoes
1 cup minced red or Vidalia onion - or shallots
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered lengthwise
1 16-ounce container of sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 cup crumbled blue cheese + extra for sprinkling over the top for garnish
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
Parsley for garnish

Cook the unpeeled potatoes in boiling water until tender when pierced with a thin knife or skewer and drain. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, but still warm, cut them into large chunks and place in a large bowl with the onion and the hard-boiled eggs. In another bowl mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, blue cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika. Pour over the potatoes and mix gently. Garnish with the extra crumbled blue cheese & parsley and refrigerate until ready to serve.

(I doubled the above recipe for a large platter I brought to a tailgate party. The above "as is" would probably serve anywhere from 6 to 8 people depending on what else you were serving and how much they like blue cheese. Multiply accordingly.)

Well that wasn't very nice Breezy - I'm starving and I have to read that recipe!!!!! Now I have to "settle" for the same ol' same ol' downtown food with thoughts of this potato salad running through my head! :( ;)

Lol - I know what you mean. Sometimes I get a craving for it myself & then there's no stopping me.

One caveat that I forgot to mention - you can almost feel your cholesterol going up & your arteries hardening as you eat it - lol!!! But don't back down. It's definitely not worth the effort if you're going to use low-fat or fat-free stuff. I say take the plunge & indulge. :)

That potato salad sounds great, I'm trying that.

How about a pot of chili? There is also Italian macaroni salad.

Whatever quantity of ingredients you want but the ingredients are

elbows
provolone cheese, sliced thin and cut up
pepperoni, sliced thin
sliced black olives
roma tomatoes (chunks)

The dressing is balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

I usually try to make something that doesn't require oven space. We do quite a bit of pot-lucking and if several people need the oven it can get busy. When we potluck, usually the host makes the main dish and we all bring sides, appetizers, and deserts. I usually am requested to bring the appetizer because people like my artichoke dip or nage maki, or desert, of which I only do one, a trifle made with berries, cool whip, and angel food cake. Oh, and lots of booze.

I had a fun weekend a few weeks ago when my nephew (late 20s) called for a recipe for spinach dip (I'm known as the family cook). I didn't have one, haven't made it in years. But the guy is a pretty good cook when he tries, and so I just told him to make sure he uses frozen spinach and really, really squeezes it dry. Then I gave him a few suggested ingredients and method. He called back that weekend and several after and told me I'd made his (singles) life, that after that he'd been invited to more parties in a few weeks than he had in a few years.

So, it's an oldie, but obviously for handsome young single men, spinach dip works!

I usually go to B.J's and buy one of those large brie rounds, shave the top off cover it with caramel and almonds pop it in the oven until hot and the almonds are lightly toasted. serve with crackers,crostini or french bread. There is never any left.

Back
Top Bottom