Side dish for less than 100 people.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Need to plan some food for less than 100 people. The main course will be spaghetti with meat sauce, not even meatballs as there is not time to make them, no bread either. Not even in advance. All I need is a side suggestion. I was thinking about some light salad. There is no kitchen on premises. Tell me what you think, please.

I'd go with a great big green salad Charlie. Its quick and easy. Failing that I would make a HUGE batch of coleslaw. Also easy and cabbage is pretty reasonably priced most of the time.

I agree... a salad would do.
Nothing to fancy just lettuce cukes and tomatoes.

Charlie, can you give us more details? Thinking spaghetti by itself needs something more as a main dish. Might look lonely by itself. Can I talk you into linguine and clam sauce, fettuccine alfredo, ready-made filled ravioli with an interesting sauce, made ahead lasagna, stuffed shells, manicotti?

A nice bean salad, either a French sort of style with green beans, grainy mustard and oil vinaigrette or perhaps carry on the Italian theme and do a cannellini bean salad, maybe with some bits of prosciutto (or bacon) and garlic.

How about a spinach salad? I love the dark green color next to the red of the sauce.

Also..you could do a veggie
green beans perhaps?

maybe a cold cucumber salad, pasta salad,(ceasar salad as michelemarie has suggested)veggie plater including all kinda raw veggies...with a dip or humus??? good luck finding that perfect side:)

Charlie there are places that sell very large bags of mixed salad greens that have red cabbage, carrots added to them, these are great for a party where space and kitchens are tiny or non-existant..You can add several boxes of tiny cherry tomatoes, get some store bought salad dressings or mix up a large container of evoo and red wine vinegar to set out and your done..I know you said no bread, but you can set out a basket of rols, the don't have to be warm, get the individual pats of butter or even buy some bread sticks..You'd have your pasta, salad and bread..something to drink and maybe some dessert..You're done..

kadesma

I would go with a simple Ceasar salad minus the anchovies as a lot of people just do not like them.

I'm coming in late to this thread, but maybe someone can learn. It sounds too easy but works: bags of greens, and Good Seasons Italian made up with good quality olive oil and great vinegar. It can be tossed at the last minute. You can toss some grated parm or other hard cheese on if you want to be fancy.

So, event was last night. I did make spaghetti, just as I planned, but did not do the side. Told the guy I was making this for to get his 3 daughters involved to make the plain cucumber and tomato salad, they added onion too. I don’t know who chopped the cucumbers and tomatoes, but that was not his daughters (princesses). Well, it’s his business. Spaghetti, actually rotini, went very well, people liked it. I couldn’t eat any, was getting over the stomach flu, couldn’t even look at the food.
Thanks for help everybody.

Back
Top Bottom