Spanish rice and what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaCook

Senior Cook
I want to change a couple of the evenings specials, and my FOH is saying people are asking for rice. I have been thinking about doing something with spanish rice, also throwing around the idea of steak diana with some rice pilaf. Buttttttttt... I have my limitations.They (the management) don't want me to order any special proteins that we cannot use on the regular menu. So I am stuck with strip loin steak, roast beef, chicken breasts, pork chops, and turkeys.:( Anyone want to throw some ideas my way, I would really appreciate it.:chef:

You might think about a Chicken Biryani or Chicken Pilaf. Basically, a Chicken Curry sauce poured over spiced rice base or (the same) cooked in the oven.

There's also a Venezuelan dish called "Arroz con Pollo" which, in its simplest form, is chicken pieces ( you could sub turkey) cooked in a "sofrito" - fried onions, garlic, bell peppers,leeks,cumin, annato and oregano - then mixed with re-fried rice.

Another option would be to look at the Indonesian "Rijstafel", and do a Yukon version of that! You could use the chicken, the pork AND the turkey for that.

What kind of restaurant are you in? What are some of the other things you serve? That might help give us an idea of what might or might not fit at your place.

When I make Spanish Rice, it's to serve with enchiladas, or as a base for a sort of quick one-pot main dish Spanish/Cajun thing wherein I add sliced or diced turkey Chorizo or Andouilli sausage, & any vegetables in season - okra, greens, etc., etc.

Making a Rijstafel takes a lot of prep and time to make. I know as my husband's family are from the Netherlands and Sumatra and I have helped with the preparation many times. I don't think it would work well unless you are very familiar with it. Besides different ideas of Mexican food to go with Spanish rice, what about a Jambalaya or gumbo dish instead. Pretty simple and filling. Another idea is peppered beef served over rice. Various fried rice dishes also come to mind.

said:
"What kind of restaurant are you in? What are some of the other things you serve? That might help give us an idea of what might or might not fit at your place."

It's a family style restaurant. We serve the typical type of menu. Steaks, burgers, veal, fried chicken dinners, quesadillas, main course salads (bloody chefs salads:mad: ), and cold and hot sandwiches. The specials are left up to the cook in charge of each shift. The evening specials are set at $14.95. I do a roast beef and Yorkie special on Fridays and a roast turkey with stuffing special on Sundays, which both sell well. I am currently doing a turkey pot pie special on Tuesdays which strangely enough usually sells out. ($14.95 for turkey pot pie?:wacko: ) One of the other cooks is doing a chicken stirfry on my days off, but I am not sure how that is selling.

said:
"Steak au poivre (sp). You could easily do that with your strip. Or... perhaps strip with green peppercorn sauce and sautéed mushrooms. VERY tasty and would go great with rice."

Now that sounds very doable. Just the kind of ideas I'm looking for, but just couldn't drag through the cobwebs in my brain. Thanks.

said:
"what about chicken enchiladas with spanish rice?"

That one I'll mull over too. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Brit, I'm not too sure what strip steak is. But if you can use it for steak au poivre, you can probably use it for beef stroganoff, which is great with rice. Easy to do as well, especially as the onion and mushroom part can be cooked well in advance.

Snoop en españa,

Ahhh how I miss Andalucia. Pero.... This is not about Spanish food.

The strip is the piece of meat on a cow or steer which comprises both the tenderloin (filet mignon) and strip (NY Strip) steak.

Here's a site that shows both the NY strip steak and where it comes from (the spot below the NY strip, Porterhouse) http://http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/search.cgi/pastacheese/ezshopper?user_id=id&1_option=3&1=pasteak&database=dbase1.exm&template=nytemp.htm&output_number=6

Now if you'd be so kind as to indulge me in a plate of Riñones al Jèréz, I'd be forever in your debt. I DO miss them.

Just were are you in Spain? I lived in Andalucia.

Ciao,

Am not sure what kind of restaurant you work at, or the type of food you want to serve, but always love black beans and rice (moros y cristianos).

You mentioned pork chops, can marinate, perhaps with mojo, and saute them. Or smother with sauteed onions and peppers.

Some fried plantains would round out the dish, but don't know how easy it is to find them where you are.

Just an idea, good luck.

Snoop Puss said:
As a Brit, I'm not too sure what strip steak is. But if you can use it for steak au poivre, you can probably use it for beef stroganoff, which is great with rice. Easy to do as well, especially as the onion and mushroom part can be cooked well in advance.
You are right. I have done that one in the past and it sold well. Thanks.:chef: Cob webs are slowly getting cleaned out.:rolleyes:

If you are so inclined to giving yourself extra labour, how about stuffing the chicken breast with rice?
What about rice timbales with the pork?

If you're using top round for the roast beef, why not cut one into strips and make something south of the border like? Fajitas comes to mind but they may not be fancy enough for your gig.

And then there is my all time favourite - jambalaya. Serve it with some fried green tomatoes....aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh....

Stuffed Pork Chops, maybe using wild rice mixture. How about a pork loin roast like Emeril did tonight?

Applesauce and Sage Glazed Pork Loin with Parsnips and Turnips. I haven't made it YET, but it sure sounded and looked good. I have the recipe if you want it.

Come on Marlene, you can do it!

Risotto. Its easy to personalize and tastes great. And its something a lot of people will only order in a resturant for some reason so they'll be less likely to be used to it.

EDIT: Oops. I just realized I suggested you serve rice with more rice. My bad.

Last edited:
along auntdot's great suggestions, one of my favourite meals with rice was from a small, eclectic restaurant in nyc that had many carribbean inspired dishes.
it was grilled garlic/rum/sherry marinated pork chops, served with aromatic yellow rice mixed with fresh peas and roasted pepper strips(the water used to cook the rice was first infused with bay leaves, garlic, and cloves), and fried sweet plantains.

another idea is rice stuffed peppers, and don't forget paella if you have some seafood, chicken, and chorizo available.

Thanks people, some great ideas there that should keep me from getting bored. Un fortunately, no spicy sausage, no seafood, no okra (I haven't even seen it frozen up here.)no pork loins, but the stuffed pork chops and chicken breasts are doable.
Ah, I feel refreshed having you guys to talk to.:chef: :winkiss:

Back
Top Bottom