St Patrick's Day help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
We are having a food day on Monday for St Paddy's Day. I'm trying to figure out an INEXPENSIVE main or meat dish to bring...there will be about 12 of us.

Ideas for Irish-type foods please?

Oh, we don't have a stove or oven, either, just a microwave.

We are having a food day on Monday for St Paddy's Day. I'm trying to figure out an INEXPENSIVE main or meat dish to bring...there will be about 12 of us.

Ideas for Irish-type foods please?

Oh, we don't have a stove or oven, either, just a microwave.

This cottage pie sounds good and easy: Cottage Pie (authentic Irish recipe) Recipe | Recipezaar

Since everything is pre-cooked when you make the pie, you can just heat it up in the microwave at work (I'm assuming this is for a work function). HTH.

Angie...

My irish-american relatives always eat Corned Beef and Cabbage on St Pats (but a true Irish neighbor claims that that is not Irish food at all) Cant imagine making that in a micrwave though.

This neighbor gave a recepie for a dessert called Trifle (which I dont have) which is basically a layered desert with custard and cake and whiskey or sherry. There are lots of recipes on line if you google it. I think you could find a way to improvise and use some instant products store bought cake etc to create one without a stove. It is a true irish dessert.

In my experience traditional Irish food is usually very simply prepared and made from fresh ingredients. Salmon and potatos.... sausage and potatos.... (bangers and mash) There may be a way to create these in a microwave.

You might be able to improvise sheperds pie with a microwave that is pretty traditionally irish.... Serve any of the above with a room temperature pint of stout and you will feel like you are in a pub across the pond

More Americanized St Pats food can be pretty much anything that shouldn't be green with green food coloring added like Green mashed potatos or green sour cream something :) St Pats is about a good lark so have fun and be creative no need for serious food.

It is a true irish dessert.
Ahh, not really!! British yes, bu Irish, no. Think if you look there will be something older still originating in France.

Shepherd's Pie is also British, not Irish. A lot of dishes from UK blend a bit between the countries with only variations between counties and/or countries. That isn't to say that there aren't dishes specific to each country, only that a lot aren't distinctively so.

Ahh, not really!! British yes, bu Irish, no. Think if you look there will be something older still originating in France.

Shepherd's Pie is also British, not Irish. A lot of dishes from UK blend a bit between the countries with only variations between counties and/or countries. That isn't to say that there aren't dishes specific to each country, only that a lot aren't distinctively so.

Well shhh then... dont tell that to any of the Irish I know or your like to get yourself a black eye;)!

How about the humble yet yummy boiled ham, boiled cabbage and mashed potatoes. It's easy to cook for a lot of people and if there are any left overs you can have bubble and squeak!

Dublin Coddle

Here is a recipe for Dublin Coddle

=============
Dublin Coddle
=============

Serves 6

1 pound bacon slices
2 pounds pork sausages
Some bacon fat or oil
2 large onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic
4 large potatoes, thickly sliced
2 carrots, thickly sliced
1 large bunch of fresh herbs, tied with string
black pepper
hard cider (apple wine) or apple cider
fresh parsley, chopped for garnish

Lightly fry the bacon until crisp. Place in a large
cooking pot. Brown the sausages in some bacon grease or
vegetable oil. Remove and add to pot. Soften sliced
onions and whole garlic cloves in fat, then add to pot
with potatoes and carrots. Bury the bunch of herbs in
the middle of the mixture. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover
with cider. Cook 1 1/2 hours over moderate heat, do not
boil. Garnish with chopped parsley.

OMG...did you see the calorie count on this? :ohmy:

Also, at a potluck, there are usually so many different things to try that people don't usually take a full serving, like they would at home.

I thought about Irish stew, but lamb isn't inexpensive, and you want a main dish. From my trip to Ireland, that generally involves pork (and not lean pork, like we have here), lamb or mutton, or fish. You could do a side dish of colcannon (mashed potatoes with kale and a ham hock). Traditional Irish food just isn't all that light in calories, though :rolleyes:

Angie, am sorry I have no idea how to cook a main in a microwave. Wish I did.

You could make an Irish pasta salad, very traditonal, just kidding, but it will work.

Just cook the pasta in the nuker. Add some diced ham, maybe some deli corned beef, and cheese. The choice of cheese is yours. Also, a bit of diced onion, also green onions always work well. Red peppers or artichoke pieces can be added.

Think it would work. And it would be very tasty. Happy St. Patty's day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom