Super Bowl LI plans (2017)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bun, Addie. The bun.

What about the bun. It is a very simple New England type bun. The slit is on the top, not the side like the rest of the country. I am willing to give that other chefs throughout the rest of the country must use something different to put the ingredients. They do have special pans where they can make their own NE type bun, but I doubt they want to take the time to make them. Just order from their purveyor what the locals are used to for hot dogs. If you take a piece of bread and fold it bottom to top, you have a New England type hot dog bun! No big deal.

Tom, as far as I am concerned, this subject is closed. And do try to take your vacation at the same time as the Rockport Lobster Festival. You won't be sorry.

Last edited:
I will look into it, Addie. Thanks.

Btw, we have the top split rolls available here. They are sold as hot dog buns, but they're pretty much what I've had in N.H. and Maine.

Now, if the price of lobster would just come down a bit. Lately they've been over $11 / pound.

Getting back to the Super Bowl, I think I'll add garlic sheimp or shrimp cocktail to our menu.

Tom, The lowest I saw them this year here in Boston was $3.49 a pound. In the summer of 2015 the lobster men were giving them away at the end of the day or tossing them back into the sea. The market was glutted with them. They problem with summer lobsters is that they are molting their shells and the meat tends to be watery with no flavor. I try to buy them in the spring and fall only. I have a friend that works at the lobster auction hall. If I give him notice, he picks out the very best and biggest ones for me. Sometimes free. But I try to not abuse that privilege too often. I feel like I am taking advantage of his good nature.

Tom, Lobsters are very high during the winter. A lot of them look like something you would build in your yard or cellar. The lobster boats are rather small and the men don't want to take the chance of getting hit with a rouge wave or some other disaster. So the lobster boats stay tied up in the winter. Only the fool hardy go out to get them.

It is not the local ingredients that were changed, it was all the other foods that have been added by chefs who think they can improve on it. I have seen some really strange recipes for this simple New England specialty. It needs no change!

Maybe I just haven't had a true original. I've tried a handful of lobster rolls from Massachusetts to Maine -- I'm a sucker for, "Try this one, I know you will like this one." I've never finished one.

I love lobster, and seafood in general. Cold lobster meat and mayo just doesn't work for me. Now, a good lobster bisque, I'll eat it all and lick the bowl clean.

CD

Last edited:
Maybe I just haven't had a true original. I've tried a handful of lobster rolls from Massachusetts to Maine -- I'm a sucker for, "Try this one, I know you will like this one." I've never finished one.

I love lobster, and seafood in general. Cold lobster meat and mayo just doesn't work for me. Now, a good lobster bisque, I'll eat it all and lick the bowl clean.

CD

What is your preference between Maine lobster and Florida/Caribbean lobster? I imagine you have blue crab available.

What is your preference between Maine lobster and Florida/Caribbean lobster? I imagine you have blue crab available.

I prefer Caribbean spiny lobster. Of course, there is no claw meat, because they have no claws. But, the tail meat is luxurious.

However, I won't turn down a Maine lobster, either. Its all good.

I don't honestly know what gulf crabs are called, other than crabs. The meat is very tasty, but it is a lot of work to eat. It is a lot like eating crawfish -- the food is good, but you work for your food. Neither gulf crabs nor crawfish have much meat on them. But, you eat both with your hands off a table covered in newspaper and surrounded by friends and family, which makes the whole meal both tasty and fun. Oh, and a lot of ice-cold longnecks.

IMO, just add a big-screen TV with the game on, and you have a perfect Super Bowl party.

CD

We're headed over to Mr&Mrs DF's place for the Big Game.
Missus DF is a Pescetarian-GF-DF so we've both decided that all of our get-togethers will be Pot Luck, this way both of our DH's will be happy. :)

My game plan is Strombolli and a Olive/Veggie/Salami&Cheese platter;
I'll let ya know what DF brings to the table.

I ended up just making a spinach and feta cheese quiche. I really didn't feel like fighting with the Phyllo dough today. I should have used the little puff pastry cups instead. I keep them on hand also.

Tomorrow hot dogs. Everyone for themselves. Today's game took it all out of me.

I prefer Caribbean spiny lobster. Of course, there is no claw meat, because they have no claws. But, the tail meat is luxurious.

However, I won't turn down a Maine lobster, either. Its all good.

I don't honestly know what gulf crabs are called, other than crabs. The meat is very tasty, but it is a lot of work to eat. It is a lot like eating crawfish -- the food is good, but you work for your food. Neither gulf crabs nor crawfish have much meat on them. But, you eat both with your hands off a table covered in newspaper and surrounded by friends and family, which makes the whole meal both tasty and fun. Oh, and a lot of ice-cold longnecks.

IMO, just add a big-screen TV with the game on, and you have a perfect Super Bowl party.

CD

Most crab from the east coast and Gulf are blue crab. Don't know if you have stonies in Texas, but here in Florida they are a staple. Since only the claws are harvested, it is a completely renewable resource.

I wait till later in the season to order sacks of crawfish and much prefer the WC/River crawfish as opposed to farm raised.

Ah, the beer! Is it that we have the beer to quench our thirst from the hard work of picking crab and eating crawfish or is picking crab and eating crawfish just an excuse for drinking beer?:ohmy::ROFLMAO::yum: Scratching head, pondering chicken and egg.:wacko:

While Caribbean lobsters are good, nothing beats Homarus Americanus, the Maine lobster.

And Maryland blue claws are better than their southern cousins. I remember many trips out with the traps and hand lines to catch blue claws with my adopted grandfather (an ex-gf"s grandfather that I adopted as mine) in the shallows between Bradenton and Anna Maria Island. The crabs were good, but not quite those of Del-Mar-Va. where my blood cousins used to bring in dinner plate sized monsters.

Outside if that, I can't think of any other seafood that is better than what is caught in the Gulf of Mexico.
Best shrimp, tripletail, mullet, spanish mackerel, grouper. and weakfish in the world!

While Caribbean lobsters are good, nothing beats Homarus Americanus, the Maine lobster.

And Maryland blue claws are better than their southern cousins. I remember many trips out with the traps and hand lines to catch blue claws with my adopted grandfather (an ex-gf"s grandfather that I adopted as mine) in the shallows between Bradenton and Anna Maria Island. The crabs were good, but not quite those of Del-Mar-Va. where my blood cousins used to bring in dinner plate sized monsters.

Outside if that, I can't think of any other seafood that is better than what is caught in the Gulf of Mexico.
Best shrimp, tripletail, mullet, spanish mackerel, grouper. and weakfish in the world!

And the German word for lobstah is hummer.;)

And the German word for lobstah is hummer.;)

My second husband used to bring home blur crab as well as a bag of shrimp when he came in from a trip. Unfortunately I am allergic to crab. Which makes no sense to me. I can eat other bottom crawlers, but not crab.

Thank you for the correct pronunciation of the word "lobstah." There is no R at the end on the word.

Last edited:

I was so young then I can't remember the details, but we took a trip to Texas to see my oldest brother receive his wings in Corpus Christi. My father had a friend that lived on the coast close to the LA border. He wasn't a relative but we called him uncle something. I do remember the newspaper clipping showing his hand line catch of a blue crab that measured 22" of claw spread.:ohmy:

I've lived in New England for 50 years and eaten thousands of lobster rolls.

This one is the best in the world

Reds Eats

lobster-roll.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom