Super Bowl LI plans (2017)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
Is anyone planning a Super Bowl menu yet?

We're going skiing for the weekend, but I think we'll be home by game time.

If so, DW has requested our yearly fare: broiled buffalo wings, loaded nachos, and 1 other dish that we try something new each year.

So, I'm looking for inspiration for the latter. Loaded spud skins, maybe? Something fishy, like a ceviche? It must be healthy - to a degree.

Any suggestions?

Whaddya making for the game?

If so, DW has requested our yearly fare: broiled buffalo wings, loaded nachos, and 1 other dish that we try something new each year.

So, I'm looking for inspiration for the latter. Loaded spud skins, maybe? Something fishy, like a ceviche? It must be healthy - to a degree.

Any suggestions?

A Voodoo Doll in Brady's Image!:w00t2:

I'm bringing gougeres, Swedish meatballs and pimento cheese stuffed celery sticks to a party. Random, I know ....

sk8pa.jpg

Yeah! What Jennyma said. Sorry. I have a very close girlfriend from Atlanta. Her daughter is a Pats fan and she a Falcons fan. I am so glad I don't live in that home!

I am going shopping on the 2nd and I hope my supermarket has chicken wings available. Pirate doesn't know it, but I plan to divide them. Half for him with hot sauce and half for me without. thanks to DC, I will use a recipe I found here. I also have some other snack stuff in mind. Nothing great. It all depends on what I find on sale when shopping. Then later in the evening, I hope to have a large mac and cheese ready for eating. That will last us for a day or two.

I'm going to be high during the Super Bowl.

About 37,000 feet above ground. Sadly, we're in the air from 4:00-10:00 EST. Since we're flying over the ocean, there is no reception for the live feed of the game.

Fortunately, I programmed the DVR to record the game but I fear I'll know the outcome before I get home.

The NFL season is over for me now that the Steelers are out. But, I'll be glad to boil some water for CraigC's voodoo doll. ;)

CD

Any suggestions?

I don't think you can pass off tater skins loaded with bacon, cheese and sour cream as healthy-ish ;)

Mexican pork and hominy stew would be a great addition to your table - or couch, as the case may be [emoji38]

http://hispanickitchen.com/recipes/chile-verde-pork-pozole/

I have no interest in football, so for me, the Super Bowl is all about the ads and the halftime show. DH will probably watch it, but he's a Lions fan, so... I'm sure you know what that means.

I still have garden tomatillos, poblanos and jalapeños in the freezer, so I might just make posole verde, too. All I need is avocados and cilantro.

Not sure who's tv we are landing in front of at who's house.

For sure we will have guacamole and a recently new (to us) Baked tortilla chip Scooper made by the Tostitos people.

I just checked the weather forecast and we have a 50% chance of a frozen mix on Sunday. Sounds like the perfect day for a spicy, comforting Mexican stew :yum:

Btw, I usually cut up the ingredients the day before I make posole. It takes quite a while.

A Voodoo Doll in Brady's Image!:w00t2:

I would have already removed the head!

The NFL season is over for me now that the Steelers are out. But, I'll be glad to boil some water for CraigC's voodoo doll. ;)CD

I'm no Steeler's fan, but I can get on board with this suggestion!

You're all sore losers.

The dislike for Brady and the Patriots is an acquired dislike.
Anyone who pays attention to this a game has learned that the Patriots are far from honest and will use any loophole to win.
Filming other teams practices, communication issues during games at their stadium, accusations of bugged visitor locker room, picking up a player from another teams practice squad right before they play that team and other things that may not be against the rules, but are frowned upon in an honest world.
Since I am a Dolphin fan, the dislike for this team should be understandable. ;)

I hope Atlanta wins!

I would have already removed the head!

I'm no Steeler's fan, but I can get on board with this suggestion!

The dislike for Brady and the Patriots is an acquired dislike.
Anyone who pays attention to this a game has learned that the Patriots are far from honest and will use any loophole to win.
Filming other teams practices, communication issues during games at their stadium, accusations of bugged visitor locker room, picking up a player from another teams practice squad right before they play that team and other things that may not be against the rules, but are frowned upon in an honest world.
Since I am a Dolphin fan, the dislike for this team should be understandable. ;)

I hope Atlanta wins!

Hate the Steelers... tis my birthright to hate em.

A loophole is what people who are unhappy with the rules call it when the rule doesn't stop somebody for doing what they thought the rule might stop em from doing...

The communications issues effected both teams this year at Gillette and the NFL is the ones that supply the equipment, maintain the equipment and run the equipment. There is no local (team) influence on that.

Accusations are accusations and until they are proven they are best left alone.

Every team in the league plays it close to the lines, and that includes signing players to gain intel.

The bottom line is Belichick might be the best of all time as a coach and Brady is in the conversation for that at QB. People hate when too much success, unless it is theirs.

Is anyone planning a Super Bowl menu yet?...
At the moment, I'm thinking I might made a batch of chile rellanos. However, Aldi has spare ribs on special for $1.99 a pound. We've had them from Aldi before and they were good. If they have any left when we stop on Thursday or Friday, I'll probably flip the menu to that.

...I have no interest in football, so for me, the Super Bowl is all about the ads and the halftime show...
And the food. :yum: Since we follow college football instead of the pros, the game is only the noise between the ads. ;)

You're all sore losers.
I have had a dislike for Coach Bill far longer than the Pats' current winning ways. Wasn't a fan of his before he uttered the phrase "...diminishing...skills..." back in 1993. That era started the long, painful decline of the Browns. When they left Cleveland in 1996, we left following the NFL and a pro team. Go Buckeyes! :mrgreen:

You're all sore losers.

Yeah, that's me. I've been waiting 8 long years for the Steelers to win their 7th Super Bowl. Geez, how hard can that be? ;)

Some good and goopy Velveta queso dip is always on my game day menu. I make mine with Velveta, and Rotel, plus a can of Campbell's cheddar soup to thin it out a touch, and some crumbled breakfast sausage browned and mixed in for a little taste of meat.

CD

If I watch it, I'll only watch it for the commercials. Not into football. And yes, I'll probably make some goopy Velveeta and Rotel dip too! Got some cream cheese to throw into the mix.

I have a few large raw shrimp in the freezer and I'm thinking about making spicy shrimp sliders. I'll peel the raw shrimp, saute them with garlic and a little cayenne then put them into a Martins potato roll with lettuce and tomato for a bite size SLT or maybe go big for a shrimp club sandwich with a couple slices of bacon!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom