Thanksgiving 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Friends and family are still quiet. No one has stepped up yet....this is normal for us. We'll see who'll step up to host this year. Someone will make an announcement on the week of Thanksgiving, guaranteed. We're good with that as we don't feel like hosting this year. We didn't last year.

2018 Thanksgiving Menu

Appetizers

Stuffed Mushrooms
Cream Cheese, Green Olive and Walnuts Poppers
Marinated mushrooms
Stuffed artichokes

Entrée

Roasted Turkey
Orange Glazed Carrots
Brussels sprouts sautéed with bacon
Sautéed mushrooms
Stuffing
Sweet Potato & Acorn Squash
Mashed Red and Yukon potatoes
Turkey Gravy
Cranberry/Tangerine Relish
Homemade Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry sauce

Dessert

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Pumpkin Bread
Homemade Whipped cream

Beverages

Soda (diet & regular)
Sparkling cranberry apple cider
Trader Joe's Spiced Apple Cider or Honey crisp Cider

Thanksgiving normally is me making a relish tray, a whole bunch of sides including dressing in a casserole dish, and a pie other than pumpkin. We head up the hill to my SIL's house, where she's roasted the stuffed bird and baked a pumpkin pie. This has become so routine that we don't usually touch base until the beginning of Thanksgiving week.

This is not a normal year. They sold their house, have some things packed already (including any large cooking vessels), and are currently 900 miles away trying to find a house to buy or rent. They need to move out no later than 12-14. So it's my turn to host, I guess? :LOL:

Since "normal" is out the window, our menu is, too. After reading about the original-original First Thanksgiving at Virginia's Berkeley Plantation in 1619, I decided to base a menu with ham and oysters. I'm not a fan of oysters, but the rest of the clan loves them, so I'll make a pot of Steve Kroll's Oyster Stew as our soup course - and, if ambitious or organized, I'll also make a pot of roasted butternut squash soup. Sides are undecided right now. Dessert will be whatever my SIL whips up, since she said dessert will be no problem.

Thanksgiving is going to be a little tricky this year. We're going to my FIL's in Michigan for the week, so I need to plan how I'm going to do everything. Some stuff I'll make here and some there. My MIL didn't have a bread machine, so I'm debating whether to bring mine to make the yeast rolls. I can make the cherry sauce in advance.

DH's birthday is the day before Thanksgiving and of course, he wants the lasagna I make every year. So I also need to make lasagna sauce and freeze it to bring with us. So much to do.

Are you driving or flying (bread machine in carry-on)?

I use a recipe from 'salt and pepper' for cast iron skillet yeast rolls that are very good. It could save you the bread machine concern.

Are you driving or flying (bread machine in carry-on)?

I use a recipe from 'salt and pepper' for cast iron skillet yeast rolls that are very good. It could save you the bread machine concern.
We're driving - we're bringing our dog [emoji2] I'd love to have that recipe. Hmm... trying to remember if she had a cast iron skillet.

This is why I've insisted on having Thanksgiving at home for the last decade, at least [emoji38] I have all my tools, I know where they all are and I don't have to deal with travel stress. But my MIL passed away in February, so we're making the trip.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that, because there are only the two of us, I’m planning on roasted stuffed Cornish game hens as our main course. I came across this recipe for stuffing, which looks a bit unusual and very tasty. The recipe is really for dressing, not stuffing, which leads me to ask if I should leave it uncooked to stuff the hens and then place the remaining stuffing in the bottom of the pan, using it as a “rack” for the hens.

It is a little much for just two hens. I figure that I can cook what’s left over, and use it in sammies, or freeze for later.

I’ve never stuffed any kind of fowl before, although I’ve made dressing many times; any tips or advice would be welcomed and greatly appreciated!

The problem with this recipe is that it doesn't indicate how long it takes to cook completely. Cornish game hens don't take very long, so I wonder if the sprouts and squash would be cooked by the time the hens are done.

Also, the cavity in Cornish game hens is small - there's only room for about a half to three quarters of a cup of stuffing. That's why rice with a few veggies - like onions, celery and spinach - are common. I think this would work better as a dressing.

This is my first Thanksgiving as a new widow, DH died unexpectedly this April. I was going to blow off T'giving, then I thought, wait a minute. I like to cook, I LOVE dressing/stuffing and pumpkin pie, a turkey breast will produce leftovers and soup fixin's, so I'm in. As is my cranberry-orange relish. Jury's still out on mashed potatoes, but there WILL be gravy!

This is my first Thanksgiving as a new widow, DH died unexpectedly this April. I was going to blow off T'giving, then I thought, wait a minute. I like to cook, I LOVE dressing/stuffing and pumpkin pie, a turkey breast will produce leftovers and soup fixin's, so I'm in. As is my cranberry-orange relish. Jury's still out on mashed potatoes, but there WILL be gravy!
Heartwarming... :)

Ross

Oh, Dawg....! I'm so sorry to hear of DH's passing - I had no idea. :cry: Big hugs and loves to you. It sounds like you've set your mind to a nice Thanksgiving dinner and your friends here will be with you. Love you. :wub:

Oh Dawg, I had no idea. I'm so sorry. {{{Dawg}}}

Thanks guys, it's been a rough few months, and I wouldn't recommend it.

My sweet neighbors just texted me and invited me over to their T'giving! They're both good cooks, and I KNOW they'll have gravy! So I offered to bring stuffing/dressing and my cranberry sauce.

A friend of mine (who lost her husband this past spring) and I plan to go out for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. The venue caters to seniors so the food won't be over salted. (I hate too much salt.)

But I ADORE bread-based dressing and gravy! So I'm making them to have as "leftovers."

I made the mushroom - sage gravy a few days ago. It's waiting in the freezer. I'll add a few tablespoons of cream when reheating.

I'll make the dressing next Wed, while everyone is at the supermarket. Toasted bread cubes, lots of sage, chopped granny smith apple, golden raisins, ground hazelnuts, a few currants, some chicken bouillon, and a splash of white wine. Light and fluffy - not soggy.

Last year I heard of a great way to use leftover dressing. Lightly oil a waffle iron and press stuffing into it. Heat through until a little crispy. Serve with a poached egg. Can't wait to try it!

When I lost my daughter, it was hard to go on. But when I started to do things and cook food that I knew she would love if she was still with me, I finally started to heal. Holidays can be pure Hell, if we let that happen. So cook not only the foods you love, but the ones he would have loved also.

May I suggest that if you have a neighbor who is also a widow, invite her to share your meal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom