Thanksgiving - Canadian version Oct 12-13 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has been a staple on my Thankgiving table since I delveoped it about 10 years ago. It is definitely more better than green bean casserole:​

Sufferin’ Succotash

Ingredients:

· ¼ lb sliced bacon
· 1 small onion, chopped
· 1 tsp garlic, minced
· 16oz package frozen corn, thawed
· 10oz package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
· 1 large fresh Jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
· 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
· 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
· ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

Cook the bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat until it is really crisp. Drain the bacon on paper towels, leaving the fat in the skillet.

Add the onion to the skillet and sauté it over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until it is softened. Add the garlic to the skillet and sauté the mixture 1 minute more. Stir in the corn, lima beans, jalapeno, and tomatoes and sauté them until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the vinegar and basil, and add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the succotash to a serving bowl and crumble the bacon over the top.

Last edited:
I make scalloped corn in the CP that's a big hit for T'giving.

We're doing a turkey at the farm. Probably butternut squash from the garden with some Brussels sprouts. We eat turkey quite often throughout the year, neither of us are big on desserts, so doubt I'll make a dessert. It is just the two of us anyway.

Bucky T, I am really glad you are back....however, my sciatica is off the Richter laughing at your barbs. Great comeback Dawg!

Kayelle, thanks for the nod on my mushrooms gratin.

We had a combo of thanksgiving and my birthday at TB's parents last weekend. Cousins were in town as well as some of his siblings so it was best to have it a week early. This weekend I am having the kids and their Mom over on Monday for a Thanksgiving dinner. I am hoping her parents will come too. It will be a traditional turkey dinner with a few minor exceptions - I will make my gluten free wild rice stuffing, the brussel sprouts will be shaved raw into a kale salad with dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds, and dessert will be a mixed fruit crisp with coconut milk ice cream (homemade).

not unless they tried to scallop corn!

mooooo, the hell with this. what's wrong with creamed corn.

cream is good. we're experts.

Green bean casserole? I goggled and found a recipe on the Campbell's site which used condensed mushroom soup. Is this the way you do it?

Yup. That is the infamous recipe. Campbell's gave the world that recipe many years ago and now there are families that think it is a much of a part of the holiday dinner as the turkey.

"What? No green bean casserole with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup and topped with French's Onion Rings? I am leaving and never coming back!"

I think the worse ones are made with canned beans. Frozen beans are next in line. Fresh green beans are so much better, but just adds more work to a busy day. :angel:

Yup. That is the infamous recipe. Campbell's gave the world that recipe many years ago and now there are families that think it is a much of a part of the holiday dinner as the turkey.

"What? No green bean casserole with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup and topped with French's Onion Rings? I am leaving and never coming back!"

I think the worse ones are made with canned beans. Frozen beans are next in line. Fresh green beans are so much better, but just adds more work to a busy day. :angel:

AND if you leave out the teaspoon of soy sauce, it's not fit to eat. :LOL:

I know there are lots of food snobs who refuse to use any canned soups in casseroles but I'm not one of them. I'm just as comfortable using some cream soup and making my family happy as I am making a bechamel from scratch. I figure a good cook is a versatile cook.

The mushrooms gratin sounds like a winner, but sadly there are too many mushroom haters at my table. I'll save that for a night when Ken and I are eating without the kiddos.

You guys are wonderful about offering ideas. Thanks so much. Anyone got salad ideas for me?

LP, two Thanksgivings? Sounds delicious! Did you post that gluten free wild rice stuffing recipe? I work with a couple of celiacs and I need to expand my repertoire.

I know there are lots of food snobs who refuse to use any canned soups in casseroles but I'm not one of them. I'm just as comfortable using some cream soup and making my family happy as I am making a bechamel from scratch. I figure a good cook is a versatile cook.

The mushrooms gratin sounds like a winner, but sadly there are too many mushroom haters at my table. I'll save that for a night when Ken and I are eating without the kiddos.

You guys are wonderful about offering ideas. Thanks so much. Anyone got salad ideas for me?

LP, two Thanksgivings? Sounds delicious! Did you post that gluten free wild rice stuffing recipe? I work with a couple of celiacs and I need to expand my repertoire.

You just have to look at the back of the can. If you don't like the list of ingredients, then don't buy it. Go home and to try to make the products from scratch. I love peas. First frozen, but if not then, there is a can of peas that I love. LeSeur Petite Peas. I am not willing to delve into the labor of fresh peas in the pod. Not when I am cooking for only one person. Nothing wrong with using can goods. But can you imitate the taste of a cream soup in a can for a casserole? Not without a lot of work and some very expensive ingredients. :angel:

Addie, I'm so confused. One post seems to imply you don't like the canned soup ingredient, the next that you do. No problem here, I'm cool with whatever.

LP...You post that recipe yet? :chef:

No suggestions for desserts or salads?

Addie, I'm so confused. One post seems to imply you don't like the canned soup ingredient, the next that you do. No problem here, I'm cool with whatever.

LP...You post that recipe yet? :chef:

No suggestions for desserts or salads?

I find some canned soups so salty, even when diluted. Other than Campbell's Tomato made with all milk or Cream of Mushroom with whole milk, I tend to not look at them at the store. And unless the Chicken Noodle is on sale, I pass that by also. I try to keep a couple on hand. I am a firm believer that CNS cures winter colds and other ailments. Although I grew up on Campbell soups, I seem to have lost my taste for them over the years. My taste buds seem to be very sensitive to salt. :angel:

Last edited:
I picked up a copy of Good Housekeeping 2002 Annual Recipes at the thrift store today...I'm thinking I need to make the lemon upside down cake (did you catch that, Alix?) for dessert...not too sweet is what I'm thinking....to heck with the apple tart I was planning...

...No suggestions for desserts or salads?
I don't generally think "salad" when the weather is cooler. How about a relish tray? The old fashioned kind, no dip, just crunch veggies. Even in the summer, I'll make up a big relish platter for us to munch on instead of a salad, put it away for the next day, then chop all the last bits for a salad on the 3rd day. Celery, carrot stix, grape tomatoes, lightly raw mushrooms, pepper slices, radishes, black and green olives (with or without stuffing things) - just mix and match what you think would work.

Seriously, you think you'll have room for dessert? :LOL: Actually, I just saw a recipe for an apple butter pie (like pumpkin, only with apple butter) in the current issue of Midwest Living. Here is the link if you're interested: Sister Chestermae Hayes's Apple Butter Pie | Midwest Living

Back
Top Bottom