Thanksgiving, Monday, Oct 8 (Canada)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I can't believe none of us have started this thread. What are you planning? I'm still working on the details...what are the rest of you cooking for Thanksgiving?

We're going to kick off "eating season" with a bang this weekend. Having family over on Saturday night for prime rib (sides etc to be named later), then Sunday will be at my MIL's for turkey and all the rest. I never get enough turkey dinner though, so I might do my own turkey dinner on Monday. LOL! I'm going to do green tomato mince tarts, that much I know!

Next week, my brother and his wife are in town for a bit so I'll do a giant ham, scalloped potatoes and I'll figure out the sides later.

Me too. I have to get it from work. I'll post it tomorrow. Its lovely, but I sub out the golden raisins with craisins.

I was thinking of starting this thread but was too busy being pampered and spoiled rotten today! :LOL:

I am planning a ham dinner with all the fixings for Monday as DH has to work Sunday and is then off Monday (after being off all this week on vacation but didn't have another day to cover Sunday). The guest list keeps changing as the family members in town that live out of town and visa versa keep changing.

Hey, I will make the food and they will come! :angel:

I will be making two pumpkin pies, one regular and one gluten/dairy/egg free. First time trying to figure this one out but I think I have it figured out. :chef:

I know why I didn't start this Thread, South Africans don't celebrate thinksgiving :p
Wish we did though, sounds like a nice holiday!

I know why I didn't start this Thread, South Africans don't celebrate thinksgiving :p

You still can! US Thanksgiving is on November 22nd and there is no charge for nice people in other countries to celebrate along with us. We'll all be posting our menus and recipes soon.

You still can! US Thanksgiving is on November 22nd and there is no charge for nice people in other countries to celebrate along with us. We'll all be posting our menus and recipes soon.

And you can all celebrate with us! :)

I know why I didn't start this Thread, South Africans don't celebrate thanksgiving :p

Snip, Thanksgiving is a major holiday in the U.S. and Canada. We celebrate at the end of November. Take a look at some of the Thanksgiving menus and you will see why. Everyone heads to the kitchen and starts cooking. If you are going to be going to someones house, then you make something to bring. It is a time for family members to get together and let everyone know just how grateful they are for everything they have. It is an all day feast. Everyone is too full just from eating the main meal. So the women head to the kitchen and start the cleaning. The men head to the living room and watch football. In the kitchen, there is lots of laughter. In the living room they are yelling at the TV because their team made a stupid play or a touchdown.

When the game is over and the kitchen work is done, it is time for dessert. Pies galore, puddings, and everyone's favorite. Ice Cream. Can't leave the kids out. The children always sit at the children's table. The little ones are just waking up from a nap that they took on the living room floor. There is lots of chatter at the table telling stories about each other when they were small. There are no arguments. Only laughter and fun.

The turkey is the star of the whole day. It makes a grand entrance for everyone to see. Sometimes it is carved right at the table for everyone to watch. Sometimes it brought back to the kitchen to be carved and then the platter of meat is brought back in. Who wants white meat? Who want dark? Heaping bowls of food are being passed around the table. Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, peas, squash, stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, etc.

Most families sit down to eat between one and two o'clock. By six o'clock everyone is full and ready to go home. The women helped clean up that last of the meal, and everyone is ready to go home with a plate of the leftovers. Including the desserts.

For those families that don't want a turkey, they make a baked ham, rib roast or other favorite that everyone will eat.

You can make your own Thanksgiving holiday. You can start a new family tradition. Each member of the family can have a turn. Plan on inviting all the in-laws and outlaws. Ask each one to bring their favorite dish. Or a dessert. It is a time to have your whole family from both sides get together. A lot of families ask each person to tell what they are thankful for before they start to eat and after the prayer. For me, I am grateful for having my children. :angel:

I think I may just do that :) I'll keep a close eye on traditional recipes and how it all works.
Halloween isn't a South African thing either but I started a Trick or Treat night for the kids every Halloween for the last 6 years. I go and knock on every door in our street regardless of where we live in advance and ask the people who want to take part to hang balloons on their gates on Halloween. We then take all the kids that live close with their costumes and candy bags door to door. They love it!

Addie, What a beautiful, and truthful, description of Thanksgiving, no matter which side of the border you are on! :)

I'm ready for the cranberry sauce...may I have a whole bowl full? I'm suffering from cranberry deficiency...

Canadian Thanksgiving is a bit different from American. We generally eat at a usual dinner hour, and the date differs depending on your family. Since our family used to have to travel, we would eat on Sunday evening and then everyone would travel on the holiday Monday. When folks don't have to travel Monday is the usual day to feast.

No shopping afterward either. ;)

We're going to my MIL's for dinner tonight. This will be the first Thanksgiving in 18 years that I haven't made dinner. We have family in from all over and they won't be back at Christmas so she wanted to cook. I'm doing our own turkey dinner tomorrow so we can have leftovers. Hahahaha! I love turkey.

Next week my brother will be in town, so we'll do a big thanksgiving type meal with a ham since that's his favorite. good thing I have lots to be thankful for.

Addie, What a beautiful, and truthful, description of Thanksgiving, no matter which side of the border you are on! :)

Thank you. It is the purpose of the holiday that matters. What is everyone thankful for. It is a time to stop and remember all the good in our lives. I love Thanksgiving. Even more than Christmas. :angel:

Alix said:
Canadian Thanksgiving is a bit different from American. We generally eat at a usual dinner hour, and the date differs depending on your family. Since our family used to have to travel, we would eat on Sunday evening and then everyone would travel on the holiday Monday. When folks don't have to travel Monday is the usual day to feast.

We're going to my MIL's for dinner tonight. This will be the first Thanksgiving in 18 years that I haven't made dinner. We have family in from all over and they won't be back at Christmas so she wanted to cook. I'm doing our own turkey dinner tomorrow so we can have leftovers. Hahahaha! I love turkey.

Next week my brother will be in town, so we'll do a big thanksgiving type meal with a ham since that's his favorite. good thing I have lots to be thankful for.

And...so do all who get to eat your wonderful meals.

And the girls will be set for breakfast for a few days...:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom