Thanksgiving Sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow.....! Beautiful pics (kgirl....:ohmy:) and delicious sounding ideas and links. Drooling over them all!

Going through the links now....thank you, everyone!

Well, thank you Cheryl!
I totally forgot, mostly because I haven't made it in awhile and don't have a photo of it, but my Mother's Cranberry Jell-o mold, MMM!
Cherry Jell-o, slivered Almonds, canned Pineapple, canned Mandarin Orange segments, canned whole Cranberries, that's it I think... of course you cut back on the water for the Jell-o so that it sets nice and firm...
As I talk about this and type it up, the hubs says, "EWWW, I don't like Cranberries" ... but wait a minute there braddah, you drink Cranberry Juice every single morning, HMMMM :glare:

Must have sides:

1. smashed spuds with gravy made from turkey drippings, thickened with corn starch slurry
2. cubed and boiled sweet spuds with butter and black pepper
3. mashed rutabaga with butter and a touch of brown sugar (my 2nd favorite side)
4. spudnut dinner rolls (make spudnut dough, roll out, press out circles with a biscuit cutter or glass, and fold in half, dip in melted butter, place in pan and let rise, bake till golden brown)
5. Number 1 favorite side - bread dressing/stuffing with giblets, onion, celery, turkey broth, an egg, sage, salt, pepper, thyme, breakfast sausage
6. Cranberry sauce
7. relish tray with celerry, black olives, sweet gherkins
8. my late and great Mother's Sea Breeze Salad (an abslolute must have item, recipe to follow
9. Milk
10. layered jello desert

Sea Breeze Salad - This has been a staple in our family for as long as I can remember (about 58 years:mrgreen:):

Mom's Sea Breeze Salad

Ingredients:
1 large Lime Jello
1 ½ cup boiling water
1 cup canned milk (evaporated)
3 oz. Cream cheese
2 tsp. Lemon juice
1 tsp. Salt
1 can crushed pineapple

Mix boiling water and jello for 40 seconds. Add milk, cream cheese, and 4 ice cubes. Blend for 5 seconds. Add lemon, salt, and pineapple. Mix until smooth. Optionally, stir in Nuts. Pour into a jello mold, or a ring mold if you have one. Chill thoroughly.

This stuff is amazingly good. You really should try it.:yum:

Deserts:
1. Classic Libbey's Pumpkin pie with Chantilly Cream (sweetened whipped cream with vanilla)
2. New York Cheesecake with strawberry topping
3. Key lime Pie, or any other pie that someone's willing to bring
4. Pumpkin dump cake - Libby's pie filling recipe with white cake mix shaken on top. Pour 1 sick of melted butter all over top and spread walnuts or pecans. Bake at 350' F for 40 minutes.

Most important - watch Macy's parade while preparing meal, nap for thirty minutes or so after eating.

Day after - must have a turkey and dressing sandwich with Miracle Whip on toasted whole wheat bread.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Your mother's Sea Breeze Salad is almost exactly the same as ours but with Cottage Cheese! Yours actually sounds easier because with the Cottage Cheese you actually have to wait for it to b partially set then fold in. Was one of my all time favourites. Not only for holiday meals but all the Ladies Tea's would serve them during the summer months - I was always willing to help clear their tables after! Usually in a fancy mold.

AND Tomato Aspic - another all time favourite! Always done in a ring mold! I could never impress my own family with either one of these dishes. Have no idea where I went wrong. :(

Stuffed mushrooms
Sautéed mushrooms
Mashed potatoes salt, pepper, butter, sour cream and chives (or chive cream cheese spread)
Mashed sweet potatoes and accorn squash (butter, salt, pepper, just a small touch of each: maple, brown sugar, blackstrap molasses and tangerine juice)
Homemade raw cranberry and tangerine relish
Dressing/stuffing with butter, celery, onion, carrots, mushrooms, fresh herbs (rosemary, sage, parsley, thyme), turkey stock, chopped walnuts and plain bread stuffing CUBES not crumbled and not cornbread. No egg added)
Canned cranberry sauce
Turkey gravy (from roasted turkey wings and pan drippings)
Brussels sprouts
Steamed Vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots)
(Sometimes creamed pearl onions)

Dessert is pumpkin pie and apple pie (lemon zest and juice, raisins and walnuts added)
Fresh vanilla whipped cream

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom