Thanksgiving Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's my menu from last Thanksgiving, which is my favorite holiday - it's all about the gathering and the food - no distractions like gifts :)

Menu:

Appetizers

Cheese Ball & Crackers
Crudités
Mixed nuts

Melinda’s Arugula Salad
Mashed potatoes
Gulliver’s Creamed Corn
Roasted Sweet Potatoes & onions
Brussel Sprouts
Italian Sausage Crockery Dressing

Cranberry sauce/relish

Oven Roasted Turkey – brined by Orchards (local meat market)
Giblet Gravy
Barbecued Turkey by Pete

Rolls & Butter

Pumpkin Pie & Whipped cream
Pinot Noir

OK I am putting in my special request :LOL:

Ditto :-p

*amy* said:
Suggestions/ideas for after dinner:

Tradition dictates a "bit" of homemade blackberry or plum "brandy" and then it's
11.gif

Notice how happy I am? LOL

Last edited:
Another vote for candied sweet potatoes, can't be thanksgiving with out em! Of course, a good sweet potato casserole topped with pecans will do as well.

My meal is turkey (roasted, smoked or deep-fried), oyster dressing, turkey gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, garlic and bacon braised brussels sprouts, rolls, and pies...cherry and apple crumb, and my daughter's pumpkin with Cool Whip. If anyone shows up with pecan pie, jellied cranberry sauce, or any kind of sweet potatoes, I will be thrilled. Since none of my family likes those things, I don't fix them.

Have any of you ever fixed twice baked sweet potatoes?

from a cooks standpoint, i think thanksgiving meal is very boring to make. i have made all the dishes for years on thanksgiving. but if i miss or change one oh woe is me. they get so upset. i did do a different sweet potato this past year and it went over well. i just wish they were willing to try new versions of things. :chef:

*forehead slap*

OK folks, thanks for the help. I can't believe I forgot to put down the salads and the cranberry sauce. Please add to my list:

Cranberry sauce (from the can - I'm lazy and never eat the stuff anyway)
Giant green salad
Dad's coleslaw (both of these made with our own veggies)

I will add a tray of nibblies. I'll likely do crackers/cheese/smoked oysters/pickles/olives before and then do the fruit and cheese bit afterward.

There will also be the obligatory chips and dip lying around for the younguns. LOL.

And anyone who is coming, just let me know by Thursday so if I have to add a ham to the list I have time to thaw that monster. LOL.

You are all the best, thanks for the help. This year I'm feeling a bit scattered so its nice to have that help.

...And anyone who is coming, just let me know by Thursday so if I have to add a ham to the list I have time to thaw that monster. LOL...
If we come, you won't have to worry about the ham. We're two of the biggest hams you will ever meet!

:)Barbara

WHAT!! no mashed potatoes with noodles!

Mashed potatoes with noodles? Huh? Could you elaborate please?

Barbara, hams you might be, but I'd never try to stuff you in the oven! LOL!!
Theres always room for one more. Or two, or six. Come on up.

Depending on my time crunch I may cheat and buy the pastry shells from the store. Feeling lazy this week.

I came here looking for some ideas to cook supper for my dad, who is going through the divorce right now and is alone.. Nick and I are going to put together a feast for him and maybe a couple of his friends. I got my ideas!!! :) :)

OK, I'm Canadian, that means we are celebrating this coming weekend. I'm currently planning for 14, but there may be more. Just checking my menu here so I'm looking for some ideas.

Menu

Turkey (Duh! just need an aprox weight. I like some leftover so what 18-20lbs?
Stuffing
Gravy
Roast potatoes
Green bean casserole
Broccoli/wild rice thing
Squash (spaghetti or butternut)
Buns
Apple pie
Rhubarb pie
Pumpkin pie (if MIL brings it)
Cheesecake (cherry)

Am I missing anything? Should I do some appys? I generally don't because then folks are hungrier for the real meal. How about nibblies for later that night?

How about baking a Ham also?, it will give your guests 1 more meat choice and ups your chances of leftovers.

I love the canned stuff as well. We always have the canned plus at least one or two homemade cranberry relishes with nuts and oranges and booze and all sorts of other goodies.

I love the canned as well. Something about tradition.

Happy Thanksgiving! Everything sounds real good - after dinner my family always roasts chestnuts - I'm not a fan but do it for the tradition -- hope your feast is wonderful!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom