Things to cook while entertaining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sasquatch84

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone. My girfriend and myself are planning on entertaining some friends soon around her birthday. We'd like to cook a nice meal to eat but unfortunately our flat just isn't big enough to do this. So we've though about doing a buffet but would like to steer clear of the usual sausage rolls and mini-hot dogs.Has any one got any sugestions on what would be a great replacement for these. Thanks for any suggestions!

Casseroles are great for buffet-style meals. If you have a table you all can sit around, you can serve foods that require a knife as well as a fork. Mugs of soup will also work.

Have you considered a one-item meal? Jambalaya is a great all-in-one type of dish that, if done properly, is a memorable experience.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'd have never thought of serving casserole as buffet food. But I like idea especially as the colder months are here.

Big old crockpot of chili, and make up bowls of stuff to put on top. I like the taco salad ingredients, e.g., shredded cheese, sliced black olives, chopped green onions, chopped hard boiled egg, chopped tomatoes, chopped avocado, sour cream. You have a hot bowl of chili with a cool salad on top!

Serve with warm tortillas or tortilla chips.

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Working with Andy's idea of mugs of soup, maybe a beef stew or Scotch broth or Posole with crusty bread.

Lee

Are you going to have room for everyone to sit down and eat? Or is it going to be more of a stand around with your drink in one hand and your plate in another type of evening? The type of event should help dictate the type of food. For a sit down, we've already had some great suggestions, jambalaya, chili, a casserole.

If everyone will be standing, I'd reccomend just doing some very simple canapes. Smoked salmon on a cucumber is a classic. I've been on a kick with blini lately; made well they're just marvelous. And the thing I like very most about them is that they go with EVERYTHING. Additionally, they're more filling than your average finger food. Last time I made blini I garnished with melted leeks, and it was a huge hit. You could top with mushroom duxelle, but you could go a lot simpler as well. Something like tomato or garlic confit would be great, or maybe a little julienne of roasted red pepper. Topping with basil or sun dried tomato pesto would be an interesting thing to do as well. I've done gougeres before, which were popular, shrimp cocktail done up is always well-recieved. I've done deep-fried ravilois before, with a variety of sauces, which was very popular. If you're serving wine, it seems like folks always like a nice selection of cheeses, though I've never personally enjoyed cheese very much.

I like a taco bar. I make up a batch of chili, then put out both corn taco shells and flour tortillas. Lots of shredded cheese, chifonnaded iceberg, diced tomatoes and onions and peppers. A couple of kinds of salsa, maybe some sour cream, and some guacamole if I can find avocados. It really works well. A stack of paper plates, lots of napkins.

Lasagna or rollatini could be made in advance and heated in the oven. Cocktails, wine and an antipasi platter. with cured meats, veggies, olives and cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom