United States Thanksgiving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
It's not too early - Does everyone know how to create a link? I LOVE to see menus WITH recipes 'cause I'm just selfish that way - so sue me! :-p (if you don't know how to post a link send me a PM and I'll give you easy instructions)

Here's my standard menu:

Brined and Smoked Turkey
I smoked for 8 hours and had to finish in the oven for the last 2 hours. This year I will try to turn it half-way through the cooking process as the half next to the back got MUCH browner than the front part.

Dressing
- just basic with onions, celery, thyme sage, stale bread - different kinds too (sourdough, ciabatta, grain, seeded, etc.)

Roasted Brussels Sprouts - cut fresh Brussels sprouts in half and drizzle ideally with an aged balsamic - it's not a big deal though. Then drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle on some kosher salt. Roast at a fairly high heat 375° or so and watch carefully - mine got a little over-done but they were REALLY good that way anyway.

Peas with Rosemary and Pine Nuts
I can't tell you guys enough good things about this recipe! Pea haters love it!

Mashed Potatoes
I usually add a bit of mayo while I'm whipping and also an egg yolk or two - gets them REALLY fluffy! Warm my milk, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic in a skillet - remove garlic before adding to mashed potatoes. But I always throw in chopped cold butter at the end to get them glistening!

My EX-MIL's Broccoli Casserole
Grandma’s Broccoli Casserole

· 1 pkg. frozen broccoli
· 1 can French fried onion rings
· 1 C cashews nuts (broken)
· 1 can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
· 3 Tbs. liquid from broccoli
· 1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Cook broccoli according to directions, drain and save liquid. Put broccoli in bottom of buttered casserole dish and layer as follows:

Onion rings, cashew nuts, cream of mushroom soup that has been mixed with broccoli liquid and pour over all. Top with cheddar cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding
Some may say "why bother when you have stuffing/dressing) - I say wait until you try it :mrgreen:

Wild Rice Salad with dried calimyma figs, pecans, cashews, green onions, celery, red onions, dressed with a red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic clove, Dijon mustard, sugar, oil mixture that truly is wonderful!!!! If anyone wants the exact recipe I can PM them - otherwise it's a copyrighted recipe that I haven't changed one bit!

Bar Nuts to munch on from the Union Cellar Cafe - I'm sure there is a recipe on the net.

Cranberry Sauce with Roasted Shallots and Port

Basic Cranberry Sauce

I will finish this post this weekend - hope eveyrone joins me!)

Elf, this sounds wonderful. My family and Texas Peach's family are having Thanksgiving together this year at the coast. We've been chatting about the food and what to cook when but now that I've seen this, maybe we'll just steal your menu!

Elf, this sounds wonderful. My family and Texas Peach's family are having Thanksgiving together this year at the coast. We've been chatting about the food and what to cook when but now that I've seen this, maybe we'll just steal your menu!

Steel away but "it ain't done yet" :mrgreen: - there's more to come.

I cant wait to get to cookin! Thanksgiving will be great with the Fisher's Mom family, I am really looking forward to it. Kitchenelf, I have cooked the brussel sprouts that way for several years, heard about it on Food Network. However I have never used the balsamic on them, sounds really good. Everything on your menu sounds wonderful, Fisher's mom and I may use some of your ideas. Thanks for sharing

I'll be making more than this but here is what we usually have-
Brined and Roasted Turkey - I usually make a sage compound butter to rub under the skin.
I make these quartered mushrooms that I dot with garlic and butter and fold it up in parchment paper (en papillote, if you will) and throw those in the oven.
mashed potatoes and gravy
cranberry sauce with a splash of grand marnier
Broccolli rice casserole that I make with fresh broccoli, extra sharp cheddar and jasmine rice.
And the best part of all...
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/tnt-chocolate-kahlua-mousse-pie-popular-demand-17859.html
I serve that with whipped cream

I just wrote up our menu tonight:

Turkey - I'll have nothing to do with that, my older sister does it every year. I think it's the only thing she knows how to make that actually tastes GOOD.

Bagel Stuffing - A recipe Jeff G. Posted in the "Stuffing Idea" thread.

Gravy - My mom will do that, as she does every year. I have no idea if she follows a recipe.

Glazed Ham - not sure what type of glaze to use yet. I'll accept any ideas.

Creamy Mac and Cheese - Hence the screen name. I do a basic béchamel. with loads of sharp cheddar, some jack cheese, cream, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, a small finely diced onion. add cooked noodles to dish, pour the sauce over and then it's baked for about 40 minutes.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes - Lots of butter, milk, a little cream, sauteed garlic, salt, pepper.

Collard Greens - Mom does that. but, its a large onion sauteed in some olive oil, salt, pepper, and alot of red pepper. once the onions are translucent she adds in the clean greens and covers with water. they cook on low for about an hour or so.

Candied Yams - I call them candied yams because I DO put sugar in them but they're not saturated in sugar like most candied yams. so, I'll call them slightly candied yams. I cheat with this a little. I buy 3 large cans of Bruces precooked yams, drain off the liquied of 2 and 3/4 of the cans. the can with some liquid pour into a large glass casserole dish and mash the yams with a masher or your favorite mashing tool. and the other 2 cans break them up a little but I like to leave them in bigger piece. add salt, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, 3/4 cups cream. stir it all together. pour over a light layer of dark brown sugar, dot with butter. bake 20-25 minutes.

Cranberry Sauce - I know some people find it gross but I love it. The jellied can kind. its not fancy but it makes for easy slices for all. lol

For dessert we'll have 2 store bought pies: Apple and Pumpkin.
and Brownies and French Vanilla Ice Cream

Hows that all sound?

Last edited:
I serve my Brussel sprouts slightly differently. I saute some diced onion and bacon in a pan with garlic and oil, then add quartered par-cooked Brussel sprouts to the pan with a very good slurp of Worcestershire sauce and saute until the sprouts are cooked thru. Normally when they have a bit of colour and are beginning to break up a bit. Meal on its own just about and great for those who don't like sprouts. The other flavours take that cabbage aspect away from them a bit, but not entirely.

For my baked ham, I use a mustard-cranberry-honey baste which is very yummy. The mustard just takes the edge away from the sweetness. I seem to recall that the recipe also wanted applesauce and pinenuts but I have never bothered.

Cranberry Glazed Ham Recipe

I'll have a look for you and post later - tonight hopefully but otherwise tomorrow. Pretty sure I know which mag the original recipe was in.:chef:

Okay found it and then found an online version - even easier!

Cranberry Glazed Ham

Now as I said, I don't use the pinenuts and I don't serve the apple sauce. I also don't need quite such a large ham so I have always messed around with the quantities. I have used Dijon mustard instead of Mild English, and I have used a mixture of both. And I think I may have even used Mild English - how odd for me to stick to the recipe!! I don't know what the SPC brand is like but I have always used the Ocean Spray Whole Cranberries Sauce jar. As to the baste mix itself, I have a taste before I use it and change the quantities to suit my taste buds. The honey is just a clear unflavoured honey, no special trees or flowers used in the bee-processes. Oh and I smother the exposed meat as well as the fat and place a good blob on the base of the tray before placing the ham. I really like cranberry!!

The ham used is cured, not raw so if you get a raw one, obviously you will need to amend the recipe accordingly. When I was a kid, my parents would cure it themselves but they aren't as readily available here anymore.

Hope it is of interest to you Mac-n-Cheese!

My menu is traditional and very basic - my family would turn their noses up at anything new and exciting - so here it goes:

turkey and gravy - made the usual way
mashed potatoes - made my MIL - she does them the best!
sweet potato casserole - Uncle Bob's recipe so it must be good!
stuffing - made from the package for the very basic people
cornbread dressing - a new recipe I am making with Uncle Bob's help
buttered corn
broccoli and cauliflower cheese casserole topped with crushed ritz crackers
homemade cranberries

dessert includes pumpkin pie (of course), toffee squares, chocolate pie and peanut brittle.

Thanks alot Bilby. I've tried all different types of glazes before and none of them were anything to rave about, so I am going to give this one a try. never would have thought to make a cranberry glaze for ham.
Thanks again :)

I excited for the big feast. Just found out we're not going out of town so I get to cook with my mom and sister. Woohoo! Can't wait for the big meal. All of your recipes on here sound yummy. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families. Hugs,

We are planning to spend Thanksgiving with friends in North Carolina. I know it is going to be fantastic and I can't wait!

:) Barbara

On the years we don't have my (step) daughter, we stay home, just the two of us. This is our year with out her, so we'll keep it simple.

Turkey breast..not sure how to cook it yet
Mashed taters with bacon, cheese, cream cheese, chicken broth, chives...or something.
MacNcheese/corn casserole
Stuffing
Probably green beans
Maybe fresh baked bread

Back
Top Bottom