Valentine's help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JakeDLarley

Assistant Cook
Hey guys, Me again I am planning on doing a 2-Course meal for me and my girlfriend (Last time it was 3 course but it was too heavy!) A main and a Dessert I know what dessert I'm doing as she has been bugging me to make her pasta I am making a Chocolate pasta with a berry sauce, Going to be rather hard for presentation ideas! (Help?) and For the main I am a little bit stuck I want something that will show my cooking and presentation skill so I am looking for a Dish that can help with both sides! and maybe any other tips!

Thanks!

The little chef, Jake Dane Larley

Perhaps, since it is a weeknight ( a Tuesday), a shellfish or simple fish in white wine can be quite lovely. I am uncertain, about, chocolate pasta -- I have never heard of this expression; is this chocolate in a pasta form ? or a pasta with chocolate as an ingredient ?
Margi Cintrano

Perhaps, since it is a weeknight ( a Tuesday), a shellfish or simple fish in white wine can be quite lovely. I am uncertain, about, chocolate pasta -- I have never heard of this expression; is this chocolate in a pasta form ? or a pasta with chocolate as an ingredient ?
Margi Cintrano

Thanks! I will put the fish in mind, and Its pasta but with chocolate so it cooks the same but tastes like chocolate

JakeD

As obvious as this sounds, a lot depends upon what she likes. For example, if mine was making for me, it would be a salad or appetizer and main, forget desert! Since you're on at least your second that you've made for her, what meat does she like? Making her fish or shellfish if she doesn't like it won't gain you any points unless she likes it, ditto, if she's vegetarian or even semi-so, a saddle of venison will break up the relationship. Give us a little bit of a guideline so we can truly help!

As obvious as this sounds, a lot depends upon what she likes. For example, if mine was making for me, it would be a salad or appetizer and main, forget desert! Since you're on at least your second that you've made for her, what meat does she like? Making her fish or shellfish if she doesn't like it won't gain you any points unless she likes it, ditto, if she's vegetarian or even semi-so, a saddle of venison will break up the relationship. Give us a little bit of a guideline so we can truly help!

She LOVES Desserts!

She loves italian foods but not too hot or spicy, I havnt seen her eat fish but she hasnt said she has not liked it, She isnt Vegetarian, But she loves flavours bursting in her mouth! She has no problems with veg, she likes em all!

You want a challenge for your skills? Plain old fettuccine Alfredo, believe it or not, isn't that easy.

For a mild Italian, I like most of the "veal" dishes. I'm putting that in quotes, because I usually like to use thin slices of pork loin, which is very lean, pounded, rather than veal (not a moral issue for me, just that I like the flavor and cost of the pork). Either a quick saute after flouring, or roll with some proscuito, a sage leaf or two, and maybe a sprinkle of hard cheese (parm or romano) or a thin slice of any Italian cheese. Roll together, flour with seasoned flour (S&P, and any seasonings you like), saute. Deglaze the pan with a very little white wine, add maybe some capers, some cream. Alternatively, sautee mushrooms with the roulades and deglaze with a fortified red wine (marsala, etc). Serve with linguini or pasta you know she likes.

While I wouldn't eat chocolate pasta, It sounds nice, Fillets of sole, flounder, or other flat mild fish is nice. Cooked in parchment is a pleasant personal touch and can be flavored to suit individual tastes, not to mention a real WOW in presentation. {thin sliced mixed veg cook at the same rate in the same pouch} Add pilaf on the side..........done deal. Also a raspberry vinegrette for a salad. Your lady is lucky to have you. Enjoy the holiday!

Oh, just saw your other post with a presentation question. Simple most often is the best {think Lydia Bastianich} with the pasta, fanned strawberry is a bit passe but still nice, I am assuming you are making a raspberry fruit sauce? An odd # {symbolizes good luck} of berries on the side and a sprig of mint or chocolate mint is pretty and edible. What comes to mind though is that this dish while certainly tasty, is really a dark plate of food, to which a solution eludes me.

The best Valentine's meal I ever had was Lobster Thermador. At a restaurant. A kind of lobster casserole served in a hollowed out lobster shell, and it was magnificent! Have no idea how to make it though.

Chateaubriand for 2, sashimi grade tuna steaks, any kind of steak.

What a sweet thing you are doing!

A nice rack of lamb for two is always a show stopper.

I would go with easy and elegant so you can devote your time and attention to your schweetie! Don't be jumping up and down stirring and running to the kitchen to check things have some wine and relax.

A few white chocolate curls or some grated nuts might make a nice topping for your chocolate pasta. Serve them on the side like grated cheese, also a couple of crisp cookies to simulate the breadsticks, kinda corny but fun!

Last edited:
Valentine´s: Exotic Tropical Touch Perhaps ?

Valentine´s falls on a week night this year, however, one can celebrate on Saturday night ...

I believe Lobster with coconut, coriander and ginger root can be very lovely and / or traditional Maine style with butter sauce ... Another delicious Valentine´s dinner could be a simple Filet of Sole ( Dover Sole ) or other delicate freshly caught in season white fish oven baked with white wine.

A French L´Amoricaine, a tomato based stew with assorted fresh seafood and shellfish could be wonderful too. If I recall you are in the U.K., yes ?
Then, Mussels are in season in Brittany and Galicia ... Codfish too ... It is coming close to Lent in Spain, so Codfish is the quintessential dish in Portugal and Spain, and is prepared in uncountable styles.

the 14th is our wedding aniv so we always have these img005.jpg

padeswood 215.jpg

Back
Top Bottom