Vegetarian Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cc2003btw

Cook
Hi all,

In a few weeks i'm cooking a meal for my girlfriend and her dad and stepmum. The stepmum is a vegetarian, so the meal is going to have to be meat free. Has anyone got any ideas for impressive vegetarian dishes? 3 courses please.

Cheers. :)

All the ones I can think of right now are more stewy and better for winter.
If I can think of any better ideas I'll post them.

It'll be important to know what type of vegetarian the mom is - completely vegan (no dairy or eggs) or just no meat products.

We just had a simular thread here last week, try to search for it. There was a lot of good ideas there.

The important thing during the meal promptly display sign "Save the plants, eat meat!":LOL:

BreezyCooking said:
It'll be important to know what type of vegetarian the mom is - completely vegan (no dairy or eggs) or just no meat products.

This is an important issue. Find it out by any means, if you are not sure! (If dairies and eggs can be counted in, that would expand the possibility by leaps and bounds!)

Ratatouille can be served hot or cold. Cold pasta dishes are good, too. Does she eat fish?

You haven't said how formal or informal you want the meal to be!:)

Puddings - try something seasonal like a summer pudding, lots of berries around now - or what about cranachan?

Last edited:
1. Menu Italian

-Pasta alla Norma (Sicilian pasta dish with sautèed/fried aubergene, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella)
-Caponata
-Tiramisu
(Full detailed recipe provided upon request!)

2. Menu Indian

-Vegetable Biryani
-Vegetable variations of curry (some good ideas found here)
-Lhassi (indian yoghurt treat)

3. Menu Middle Eastern

-Falafel
-Tabouleh
-Baklava
(Full detailed recipe provided upon request!)

Oh its nothing too formal, but 3 courses would be good fun to impress them. I like the sound of that italian menu, what is the tiramisu recipe.

Middle Eastern would be good too, thats something i'm familiar with, got a very good Australian Womens weekly book on it. Any ideas where i'd get kataifi pastry?

Here's a favorite of mine. Even the meat-lovers in my family love it:

Mushroom Stroganoff (adapted from The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two)

1/4# fresh Shitake mushrooms
1/4# fresh Oyster mushrooms
1/4# fresh Cremini mushrooms
1/2# fresh White Button mushrooms
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 tablespoons butter
Pinch of dried thyme
Salt to taste
Fresh-ground black pepper
1=1/4 cup chicken broth
8-ounce container sour cream
2 tablespoons brandy
1/4-cup dry sherry
1# or so of wide egg noodles
2-3 teaspoons poppy seeds
Butter to toss with egg noodles

Cook noodles according to package directions, drain, & toss with a few tablespoons of butter & the poppyseeds. Cover & set aside.

Wash the mushrooms thoroughly under running water, trim, (removing any tough stems), & slice thickly. In a large skillet, saute onion in the 4 tablespoons butter until transparent, then add mushrooms & continue cooking until they have released their excess moisture & it's starting to evaporate. Add thyme, chicken broth, & 3 tablespoons of the sour cream, lower heat, & simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add brandy, sherry, salt & pepper to taste, & the rest of the sour cream, stirring gently just until sour cream is heated thru. Do not overheat or sauce will curdle, but this is just an appearance issue & won't affect the taste. Taste & correct seasoning if necessary.

Serve over noodles with a green salad on the side. Although the sour cream "might" curdle a little, leftovers are just as tasty nuked in the microwave for lunch the next day.

You could precede this with a vegetarian version of Borscht, which could be served warm or chilled depending on your preference & the weather; & for dessert perhaps something light like a fresh-fruit dessert accompanied by some purchased fancy pastries.

You have some great ideas here. THe veggie lasagna and the mushroom stroganoff are winners for sure. But the Indian looks good. Indian and Thai vegetable curries are really fine. As for vegetable starters gaspacho and humus are great first courses, both cool for summer. And a cheese and fruit course is a great conclusion. Enjoy creating a great meal.

I'd go for something low stress for you but colourful and impressive.

Gazpacho to start - no onion in the mix and no onion in the trimmings, just finely chopped green and red pepper and perhaps a little finely chopped cucumber. You can make this in advance and leave to chill.

Greek courgette pie (kolokythopitta) with a green salad with brightly coloured mixed leaves, avocado pear, grean beans (heathen that I am, I actually think ones from a bottle taste better in a salad rather than freshly cooked) and any other good greens you can find and perhaps a julienne potato cake. Make the salad dressing with extra virgin olive oil, cider vinegar and a tiny amount of Dijon mustard. Dress at the last minute. The pie takes a while to prepare, but is not difficult. It will take about the same amount of time to bake in the oven as the potato cake to cook on the hob.

Slices of fresh mango in a lime syrup. You can make this in advance and keep covered. Don't refrigerate - the mango is much nicer at room temperature. Spoon some of the syrup over the fruit before you take it to the table so it looks fresh and juicy.

You can make the gazpacho in advance. The pie looks impressive but is actually very easy to make. Both the pie and the potato cake will show you have gone to some effort. And the mango in lime syrup is such a divine combination of flavours you are bound to make friends.

If you need any recipes, let me know.

(Edited: mistake in the gazpacho details. Should read "no onion" in the gazpacho rather than "no garlic", as originally said.)

Last edited:
In retrospect, the mango dessert is a poor idea just in case you can't get them of just the perfect ripeness or they come out messy when you cut them.

So, pears in wine. Which are also easy-peasy and truly delicious. A bottle of wine (cheap but reasonable is OK - there's plenty of sugar and honey), four ounces of sugar, peel from half a lemon, a three-inch cinnamon stick and three or four good tablespoons of runny honey should yield a teacup's worth of really concentrated, flavoursome syrup at the end.

Matzo Brei

I made this dish and I was bowled over by it - I LOVED it! http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_31011,00.html

Maybe you could start with a baked potato soup with shredded cheddar and green onion garnish (if it's cool where you are) or a vichysoisse.

Then have the matzo brei with a Ceasar salad. And dessert can be anything. Cheesecake is always a good bet for vegetarians - what's more filling than THAT?

Are you looking for help with appetizers?

Lee

salads with mixed grns./vinagrette/gorgonzola, minestrone, lasagne

portabella sammiches, fruit salad, veggies/crackers w/ hummus

Last edited:
Here are the recipe for my Tiramisu.. I don't have a lot of time today, but I will post the rec. for others tomorrow or asap!

Which part of UK do you live? If you are anywhere near London, I am sure there are loads of specialty shops for ethnic items where you may be able to find kataifi pastry dough, if not probably checking with a major supermarket like Tesco would be the best bet...

Cheers for all the help, i'll get back to you all tomorrow with the final menu. I think its 2 courses now, but we'll see. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom