What are you making for St. Patrick's Day? 3/17/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For St. Patrick's Day dinner, do you make corned beef and cabbage or something else?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Heretical statement ahead: I do not like corned beef or cooked cabbage, so I do not make these Irish-American dishes for St. Patrick's Day. Instead, I look to my Irish ancestors for inspiration. I will be making pan-seared, herb-crusted lamb chops and boxty, the Irish potato pancake. I'll figure out something green, but not cabbage ;) What about you?

Last edited:
Traditional New England Boiled Dinner. I bought two good-sized corned beefs at Costco, one for the freezer. I'm already looking forward to the reuben sandwiches.

DH likes Reubens, too, so I'm going to get some corned beef from the specialty butcher for him for sandwiches, but since I'm the primary cook, I can make something else for dinner ;)

I won't get on my soapbox about how corned beef & cabbage isn't Irish - you all know that, I'm sure. But I really don't like boiled dinner. It just tastes so - boiled.

I think I'm going to braise some lamb shanks in whiskey, served with colcannon and rutabaga. Now that's Irish!

I won't get on my soapbox about how corned beef & cabbage isn't Irish - you all know that, I'm sure. But I really don't like boiled dinner. It just tastes so - boiled.

I think I'm going to braise some lamb shanks in whiskey, served with colcannon and rutabaga. Now that's Irish!

+1!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ha, I had an uncooked CB in the freezer from last year, so it's time to use it. I don't like using a crock pot for it, but I will tomorrow as we'll be baby sitting little Cheyenne tomorrow at her house.
I think I've had corned beef and cabbage every single St. Paddy's day of my long life, so I'm a little superstitious about changing now.

I won't get on my soapbox about how corned beef & cabbage isn't Irish - you all know that, I'm sure...

Yes, I know that, but it has become an American (or at least a New England) tradition so I cook it because I love the corned beef.

But this is not an uncommon occurrence. There are many dishes that are not common in their countries of origin (real or imagined) that have become fixtures here. Chop Suey, spaghetti and meatballs (served together), corned beef and cabbage boiled dinner, to name a few.

That said, your lamb shank dinner sounds great (except for the rutabaga :(). Are you using Irish whisky?

I'm going with the old standby corned beef and cabbage (I happen to love cabbage in all forms), and this is the only time of year I ever eat corned beef.

I realize it's not Irish, but neither am I. :)

Guess half my family was not aware it wasn't "authentic" to eat this on St. Paddy's day, although they came from County Mayo. That's good enough for me.:lucky::mrgreen:

img_1459148_0_46f1f65b87003c82b93ca43cba9f3851.gif

Two years ago I put together an entire St. Patrick's Day brunch in the Amoretti Test Kitchen, ALL BY MYSELF! I am still recovering, and because I am not even Irish. I will never, ever do that again!

whole-feast-550px.jpg

Saint Patrick’s Day is a very important holiday to everyone who is Irish or of Irish decent, who thinks they’re Irish or of Irish decent, wishes they were of Irish decent, or is just looking for an excuse to eat and drink to excess. We are here to accommodate these people.

The Amoretti Test Kitchens is proud to present the Saint Patrick’s Day Brunch, featuring everything you could possibly want to make you get into the spirit of Saint Patrick’s Day. A selection of exotic elixirs, traditional meats, eggs, pancakes, and breads that would make up a typical Irish brunch, if the Irish were inclined to prepare a brunch, will be presented for your eating and drinking pleasure. Of course, because this is a Saint Patrick’s Day brunch, a good number of the typical Irish menu items that are not normally green, will be green. Fear not, like everything at Amoretti the green color is created with natural products and will in no way detract from the flavor or wholesomeness of these items, but it will tend to make things interesting. So eat, drink and be merry, it’s a Saint Patrick’s Day Brunch.

The Menu​

Appetizers

Fruit Salad
Avocado Dip
Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Multigrain Tortilla Chips

Entrees

Spinach Pancakes
Saint Patrick’s Day Eggs
Corned Beef & Cabbage

Sides

Tart Apple Irish Soda Bread
Corned Beef Hash
Back Bacon
Bangers

Beverages

Irish Cream Coffee
Irish Breakfast Tea
Cucumber Sangria
Orange Juice & Curaçao cocktail

Corned beef and cabbage dinner but braised rather than boiled, and it'll be over the weekend. Looking forward to the Reubens and corned beef hash almost more than the original dinner itself. :yum:

Yummmm Sir Loin. This was like an Irish Smorgasbord. And I see you can serve guacamole if you call it a Dip. Wait'll I tell Dx this tidbit of good news.

I know one year we made a Guinness Lamb stew, that was different and good, with a bit of prep work.

I mentioned earlier this week we are going out for corn beef and cabbage for lunch after St Paddy's day parade. Because that is what we discussed. Now she's moaning about not having her favorite , a reuben sandwich, which I presume she might order instead. However, CB's are on sale at the market and if I can find a reasonable size, I think we could make one this weekend and have a repeat dinner that can't be beat and leftovers for reubens too. Nevermind the DC poll, I'll see if we can vote this up.

Braised Corned Beef, stir fried shredded cabbage, colcannon with a Guinness and onion gravy. Strawberries and cream for dessert.

Not being Irish (the nearest I got was a great grandmother called O'Brien) I won't be doing anything special. However, I'll be in a hurry tonight so I think it will be corned beef hash. I may be blackballed from DC for this but I'll be using a can of Fray Bentos corned beef and a can of potatoes among other ingredients - oh, the shame!

In all my 65 years, including some in N.Ireland, I've never heard of 'corned beef and cabbage', let alone try it. From what I recall, although St Patrick's day was a public holiday, it wasn't even celebrated.

As for traditional food, well that had to be the cholesterol rich, artery hardening, heart attack on a plate "Ulster fry". There was also "Irish stew" or perhaps "Champ".

You could follow it with an 'Irish coffee' which was (allegedly) invented to warm up trans-Atlantic air passengers arriving in Ireland by Pan-Am flying boat.

In all my 65 years, including some in N.Ireland, I've never heard of 'corned beef and cabbage', let alone try it. From what I recall, although St Patrick's day was a public holiday, it wasn't even celebrated.

That's why I called it Irish-American ;) It became popular here among Irish immigrants. I imagine celebrating a holiday with an Irish connection was a way of expressing one's culture and remembering the old country.

Over time, and with copious advertising, Mardi Gras, St. Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, etc., have become popular with everyone, Catholic or not. We have to find something to celebrate at least once a month, right? ;) :LOL:

That's why I called it Irish-American ;) It became popular here among Irish immigrants. I imagine celebrating a holiday with an Irish connection was a way of expressing one's culture and remembering the old country.

Over time, and with copious advertising, Mardi Gras, St. Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, etc., have become popular with everyone, Catholic or not. We have to find something to celebrate at least once a month, right? ;) :LOL:

Don't forget Cinco de Mayo!:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom