What foods to have on hand for a natural disaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was a very sad disaster that happened not terribly far from us:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarnell_Hill_Fire
As for the types of disasters in the "desert", yes it is all relative,
for us in the desert of Arizona it's Fire and in some cases,
Flooding, but we're not in a Floodplain, so...
Everyone keeps what is called defensible space
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensible_space_(fire_control))

Thanks. I remember that fire, now that you mention it :(

I'm not sure what you mean by relative.

I'm familiar with defensible space. My dad has had to remove a lot of the vegetation around his home for that reason.

We sort of have Tornado Alley here along the river. It's a crapshoot. We've also had some straightline winds that have done some pretty good damage, lost many a tree.

Thinking. Packets of tuna. Zataran anything. Smoked clams or oysters. Powdered milk. We get a shelf-stable box of milk in Mexico that keeps for several years. Jerky. Canned beans.

We sort of have Tornado Alley here along the river. It's a crapshoot. We've also had some straightline winds that have done some pretty good damage, lost many a tree.

Thinking. Packets of tuna. Zataran anything. Smoked clams or oysters. Powdered milk. We get a shelf-stable box of milk in Mexico that keeps for several years. Jerky. Canned beans.

Don't forget Spam!!!!:mrgreen:

Indeed! Spam! Just checked, we have some!

Last edited:
I have TidyCat litter buckets (washed out) for all my survival gear, They are compact, same size and stack nicely. Clothing, first aid, utensils, canned foods, packet foods, cat food...each has it's own bucket. Charcoal grill with extra briquets and wood for cooking, a couple of 8 quart stock pots with lids (filled with flour, salt, pepper, coconut oil, chili powder, granulated garlic}. Any extra buckets I get now will be filled with potable water.

We are subject to: tornadoes, blizzards, fire, high winds and earthquakes. Plus the ever present possibility that Yellowstone will blow, it's more than a 100 years overdue.

Funny, tomorrow marks the 9th anniversary that my husband and I left Hawaii and I have not given a single thought to disasters since.
But, when we did think about the SHTF: water, TP, batteries, propane for the grill and of course our states' most popular food item, SPAM!!! :LOL: actually any dry good or canned food will do... and don't forget the pets too!
We got hit a few times and had to dip into our reserves, which I rotated.
Oh, and more than one can opener is a good idea, seeing as we lost one during Hurricane Iwa, that was one heck of a Thanksgiving, boy. But all of the neighbors checked in on each other, made sure that everyone was okay with whatever they needed and SHARED!!

Don't forget Spam!!!!:mrgreen:

WAHOO!!!
I love Spam! Even DH from the 5th largest city in the USA likes it... I ALWAYS have multiple cans of that in my pantry, still can't find the Portuguese Sausage flavored one though :mellow:

When I empty a bottle of bleach, I immediately fill it with water. I have 20-25 stored under the utility sink in the laundry room. Even if they are old and stale, I could still used them for flushing or bathing.

I live in Sweden, nothing really happens here and when it does it storm, seldom hurricanes and sometimes fires. And the military service is out with 24 hour, helping everyone and well where I live, not even during the worst storm in 100 year, we had food or electric problems after 24 hours.

I do have blankets, know where to go if heating goes and there is hand operated pump for safe water near by.

My thing is I want to eventually get a used cargo van and turn it into an off grid, stealth, bug out camper. It'll be equipped with food and survival gear, 24/7, ready to roll.
But of course, in the meantime I'll be using it as a weekend overnight camper.

I have TidyCat litter buckets (washed out) for all my survival gear, They are compact, same size and stack nicely. Clothing, first aid, utensils, canned foods, packet foods, cat food...each has it's own bucket. Charcoal grill with extra briquets and wood for cooking, a couple of 8 quart stock pots with lids (filled with flour, salt, pepper, coconut oil, chili powder, granulated garlic}. Any extra buckets I get now will be filled with potable water.

Like this, right? There are several of them, one just labeled "Food."

The last couple of days waiting for Hurricane Matthew, I was wondering if these buckets are waterproof.

I save the empty litter jugs to fill with roof water, for the toilet flushing and such.

Attachments

• PA071542.jpg
    PA071542.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Kitty Litter Top 10 7 2016.jpg
    Kitty Litter Top 10 7 2016.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited by a moderator:
Like this, right? There are several of them, one just labeled "Food."

The last couple of days waiting for Hurricane Matthew, I was wondering if these buckets are waterproof.

I save the empty litter jugs to fill with roof water, for the toilet flushing and such.

Those exactly! not sure about the waterproof, I've sealed the tops with duct tape and written the date stored on them.

I love Sparrowgrass' idea of filling bleach bottles. They are already sanitized.

I have a poop shovel for digging latrines! That is one of the more important things to have because your sewage system might not work, so it just get worse by using your own toilet or there is no toilet at all.
And that is actually what kills people, no safe of deposing of human poop and pee. So remember to dig your latrines correctly.

I have a poop shovel for digging latrines! That is one of the more important things to have because your sewage system might not work, so it just get worse by using your own toilet or there is no toilet at all.
And that is actually what kills people, no safe of deposing of human poop and pee. So remember to dig your latrines correctly.

Sorry, no. That would be completely inappropriate in my area, and most places along the coast. I live in a densely populated neighborhood in a small city, half a block from a river. We are barely above sea level. Your solution would result in waste eventually making its way into the river, polluting it.

In addition, the primary problem with hurricanes is flooding from heavy rain and storm surge. Trying to dig a latrine in a flooded, or likely to be flooded, place, is a very bad idea. When the water comes in, the waste would be spread all over the place.

To prepare for a hurricane back in 2003, I filled the bathtub with water. We ended up without water for five days and we used water from the bathtub to flush the toilet. This is the recommended solution.

Last edited:

That reminds me - we have two 55-gallon water barrels in the backyard for the garden! Plenty of water for flushing and in a pinch, we could filter and boil it and use it in other ways. I might add chlorine tablets for purification to my hurricane kit.

In the case of earthquakes for example, you may not be able to get into the house to use the toilet. A shovel is a good idea in that case.

Another source of water is your hot water tank. Earthquakes don't warn you to fill up the bathtub with water.

Our last "issue" was a few years ago. I'd already filled up the bathtub for flushing water. Our neighbor didn't, but since we have a subdivision pool, he'd go up to the pool with a big bucket, and bring pool water home for flushing. Thankfully, that incident only lasted a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom