What to serve for a 10 year old Hawaiian party?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
We're planning a birthday party for our daughter who will soon turn 10 years old. We'll be having about 12 (9-10 year old) girls as guests and going with a Hawaiian theme. Just wondering what could be served for kids this age that resembles a luau. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Are you doing a dinner or just munchies?

If it is munchies you could do fruit skewers and have some different dips for them.

What about mock pina coladas? You could get some funky glasses and those little umbrellas. Here is a good (alcohol free!) recipe:

1/2 cup chopped pineapples (fresh or canned) 1/4 cup nonfat milk 1/4 cup water (or more) 2 tablespoons sugar 1 drop rum extract 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract ice cubes

Place everything except for water and ice cubes in blender and blend until combined. Gradually add in water and ice cubes until it reaches desired consistancy.

Other things to serve could be fruit salad, kid kabobs (you could supply skewers and pre-cooked things like ham/chicken cubes, cheese, veggies, dipping sauces, etc. and have the kids each make their own) , BBQ, anything with coconut (coconut shrimp?), hawaiian pizza, macadamia nuts.

Sounds like a really fun party theme! Can I come? :-p

Love your idea and COME ON OVER Grumblebee. Thanks!!! It's dinner Alix. After being in the pool and dancing in their Hawaiian skirts...LOL..they'll be hungry.

Last edited:
In that case, I would do teriyaki chicken kabobs (you could do beef too if you like) and have the fruit skewers for dessert.

Sounds like fun Dina!

I'll go with the chicken kabobs too. Amanda's tried some Philipino pork on a stick when we've been to her friend's birthday parties. They have a teriyaki flavor to them. I'm wondering how those are made.

Happy Birthday to your daughter, Dina.

I like the kabob ideas. Don't know how Hawaiian this is but:

Teriyaki turkey burgers, a slice of bacon and a pineapple ring. Barbecued beans as a side.

Tropical smoothies - mango or papya

Coconut ice cream

I know the kids can't have Tequila, but this is a pretty presentation for pineapple, kabobs and rice:

http://cfprod.mccormick.com/foodservice/recipedetail.cfm?id=10941

I will look thru my recipes and see what looks interesting.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your birthday wishes and suggestions. I'm going to incorporate all of your ideas into this party. She's very excited! I'm sticking to Hawaiian Ironchef, and the simpler the better since the guests are 10 year old girls. Just found the cutest hula skirts, bracelets and leis for the girls on Oriental Trading.

Last edited:
ironchef said:
It depends. Do you want to do Hawaiian cuisine or Pacific Rim cuisine? They are both different and distinct.

Ironchef,
The party is next Saturday already and it's Hawaiian cuisine. I'd like your recipe for the Hawaiian pork skewers. Can you share? Will I have to marinade the chicken and pork before grilling? What chop of pork should I use? Thanks a million.

I'm thinking they're at an age where they think of Hawaiin food as just pinapple, juice, tropical fruit, and maybe pork.

Back
Top Bottom