What Will Make Your Sunday Super?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
Tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday!! Who's have guests? Who's just watching by themselves? Is anyone cooking?

I have a nice sized pot of Texas Red on tap, I bought 5ish pounds of meat today. I wanted to do my own grind but the KA just doesn't do that course. I need to find a good after market plate (or buy that grinder I have been eyeballing).

I have the usual planned for it, some cheese and sour cream as well as jalapeños. Kathleen has this weird pasta stuff she will make since she likes hers on pasta. (It isn't really pasta but a decent enough attempt at trickery).

We also have some dip with cauliflower and broccoli (though I don't think broccoli has any place at a Super Bowl party).

And we have another couple coming over to watch the game with me and the commercials with Kathleen. :mrgreen:

This year I am looking for a Patriots win because I am about tired of Marshawn Lynch and the Patriots put the Ravens out.

Oh heck, I don't even like football and so I have no issues one way or another..it's just a game when all is said and done. I'm favoring the Seahawks only because they are west coast, nothing more.

We'll watch it alone, and enjoy all the hoopla I'm sure. I'm doing a pot of chicken chili, and may the best team of the day win.

We're supposed to have a really good snow storm tonight and tomorrow. Thankfully we're well stocked with massive jars of marinated artichoke hearts from Costco. I'll put some of them in a dip with cream cheese, mozzarella, etc. We have a bit of chili left. We may be entertaining a neighbor who's batching it, he doesn't care much for American football, being German. I don't watch football, though DH might.

Looking forward to Puppy Bowl though!

Last edited:
Awww, I love Puppy Bowl! :LOL: I don't much care who wins the SB, it's just a Sunday with family and a good excuse to get together and stuff ourselves and have a nice day.

Yummy sounding food. The chili really has my taste buds going. :yum: I'm going over to my daughter's, her hubby has to work so he won't be there, but we'll DVR the game for him.

Nothing elaborate here as far as food. It'll be just me, my daughter and grandson, and extra for my SIL - we'll take a plate to him at the police station before the game starts. :) I made BBQ chicken sliders and potato salad, she's roasting some ribs and doing a veggie tray with dips. Probably strawberry shortcake with fresh strawberries for dessert.

Dawg, be safe! Glad you're stocked up.

Last edited:
Coconut Curry Cream of Chicken soup, Beef Kielbasa with smoked gouda and selection of mustards, Shrek will have the appropriate carbs to go with both.

Puppy Bowl!!!

Our Sunday would be super if we were on a sandy beach, palm trees waving in a 75 degree breeze, Painkiller drinks in our hands. :cool: Not gonna happen. :glare:

Since we don't have a horse in this race (after all, our team of choice won a couple weeks ago) it doesn't matter to us. EXCEPT for the fact that if the Hawks win, all talk of football will stop in Boston and they'll get on to the business of baseball. After all, I'm not sure about the Red Sox, but Indians pitchers and catchers report on 2-18. Play ball!

Food-wise. we'll probably be having leftovers. I have a glut of them and no room for new ones in the fridge.

Went to bed early and now I woke up way too early for the rest of our world. We are going to a boy scout's pancake breakfast, friend's young-un personally invited us and sent us a reminder.

Plans changed for the super bowl. We are going to a friend's to watch the game. I am bringing Cheryl J's Black Bean Corn Salad as a salsa or dip and DxW is bringing devilled eggs. And we will be having make your own pizzas. I hope the game is a thriller.

Nothing really for the game, but I am doing some prep for future meals. We are having stout braised beef short ribs for dinner. I'm finally going to make the Mexican chorizo and will grill tequila/lime marinated chicken breasts for two meals this week.

Small gathering at Casa de Hoot this year. Chips and dips - cheese and green chili dip, guacamole, etc. Country style beef ribs. Homemade rolls. Maybe some turnip greens or spinach.
A few IPAs and bourbon for those that ain't driving.

We will be watching Puppy Bowl and Super Bowl while we finish rearranging the family room. TV is already in it's location.
Dinner will be mini pizzas, cheese & crackers, either meatballs or mini kielbasa so we can snack, work, and watch.

I think dinner will be a good old cheeseburger with the works, minus the bun :mad:, and a salad!

Snack will be a rye and diet ginger ale with a handful of pistachios.

Not really cooking or doing anything special for the super bowl per se, but I'll be making a roast leg of lamb (I figure we'll get about 6 meals out of that entire leg). The roast will be accompanied by a spinach salad with feta cheese and kalamata olives.

Probably no different here than any other Sunday. Neither of us is a football fan, so there's no point in watching the game. I have enjoyed some of the commercials in the past, but it doesn't make sense to watch something I don't enjoy to gamble on what might be a few entertaining commercials. Wish we had a device that would record the commercials ONLY but that's in another galaxy...for now.

As for our dining fare, we'll have grilled steaks, baked potatoes with whatever works either of us wants, steamed broccoli, iced tea and peach cobbler.

We'll most likely watch a film we've recorded on the dvr. Hope everyone else has a great time and their team of choice doesn't disappoint.

Fun fact I thought I'd share....one of the SB commercials was filmed here in my small desert town out in the middle of nowhere. :) I was going to Albertsons to do some Christmas food shopping about a week before Christmas, and planning to stop at Jack in the Box for a coffee and breakfast sammie, but it was closed. The parking lot was filled with trailers and there was all kinds of hoopla going on.

I talked to one of the production crew guys and he couldn't tell me much, just that they were filming a commercial for Super Bowl and were here mainly for the scenery. I asked if Jack was inside the restaurant :LOL: and he told me no, that Mr. Box was out on location. :ROFLMAO: :LOL: The guy was hilarious, and very nice. :)

Film crews are out here a lot filming something or other, and I never get tired of seeing it, it's always fun. :cool:

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 260
Oh heck, I don't even like football and so I have no issues one way or another..it's just a game when all is said and done. I'm favoring the Seahawks only because they are west coast, nothing more.

I am pulling for the Hawks too!

We're supposed to have a really good snow storm tonight and tomorrow. Thankfully we're well stocked with massive jars of marinated artichoke hearts from Costco.

I have been meaning to buy these marinated chokes for some time now.
Are marinated chokes good for stuff like artichoke dip?
Does it make more sense to buy the chokes that are not marinated?
I am asking so i can use them for more than a single dish or paired with other items.

Wish we had a device that would record the commercials ONLY but that's in another galaxy...for now.

I'm looking for a device that eliminated commercials altogether.
Opposite of what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been meaning to buy these marinated chokes for some time now.
Are marinated chokes good for stuff like artichoke dip?
Does it make more sense to buy the chokes that are not marinated?
I am asking so i can use them for more than a single dish or paired with other items.

Costco marinated chokes are very mild. I made some great artichoke nibbles with them the other day. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/artichoke-nibbles.
I've used them in dips, and prefer them to the unmarinated chokes. They're good right out of the jar too. And since it's Costco, you get a lot!

Last edited:
Cute commercial, Cheryl! What fun to have all that filming going on in your area!

It is another "recipe development day." I'm playing with a twist on the flavors in my Sailor Stew recipe and another beef recipe playing with the flavors in Bulgogi. We shall see what happens.

Probably no different here than any other Sunday. Neither of us is a football fan, so there's no point in watching the game. I have enjoyed some of the commercials in the past, but it doesn't make sense to watch something I don't enjoy to gamble on what might be a few entertaining commercials. Wish we had a device that would record the commercials ONLY but that's in another galaxy...for now.

As for our dining fare, we'll have grilled steaks, baked potatoes with whatever works either of us wants, steamed broccoli, iced tea and peach cobbler.

We'll most likely watch a film we've recorded on the dvr. Hope everyone else has a great time and their team of choice doesn't disappoint.

Be careful what you wish for! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Dish DVR Lets You Skip the Football And Watch Nothing But Super Bowl Ads

Back
Top Bottom