What's cookin' for Easter Dinner, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I just decided to have the family here for Easter dinner. There will be 6 adults and four teenagers. I haven't a clue what I'll be serving yet, so looking for ideas from you folks.
What's your plan?

We're doing an Easter Egg Hunt for our grandson and the neighborhood kids and serving mimosas to their parents.

Daughters are bringing appetizers.

For dinner:

One of my daughters doesn't like ham.
My other daughter won't eat peas, corn or carrots.
SO doesn't want turkey.
No one but me wants lamb.
Son-In-Law won't eat any onions, mushrooms, olives, peppers and who knows what else.

I'm tempted to tell them all to bring whatever they want to eat with them and I'll provide place settings. But I won't.

So, I'm grilling some marinated pork tenderloins, making roasted red potatoes, salad and some veggie or other.

SO is making paklava and I'm making lemon cake for dessert.

We're doing turkey. We love turkey so its our go to meal for feasts. Only going to be 5 adults and 2 teens for our meal so I won't go nuts. Its coincidentally my Mom's birthday as well. So dessert will be some kind of cake. I haven't had a request yet, but I'm sure I will. Sides are not yet determined, but likely asparagus will feature.

I am having whatever is on the menu!!! :LOL:

Dad is taking us all out for Easter dinner as "his turn". He doesn't want either my sister or I cooking so we go out every year. Not sure where yet, but we have our list of favourites so I know the food will be good wherever we choose!

I take turns with my wife's siblings hosting a holiday at each of our hoses. Easter is always the holiday we end up hosting for the family.

Our traditional Easter dinner is Lamb & Ham. If it were up to me, it would only be lamb, but my wife's dad and brother won't eat lamb. I personally think it's the best tasting meat there is, bar none.

We're fortunate to have a great local butcher shop in the Twin Cities called Clancey's. They get locally raised lamb and prep it to your specifications. It's expensive, but extremely fresh. I usually get a leg and have them take it off the bone, but then wrap it back around the bone with butcher twine. This way you get the flavor from the bone, but it's easy to carve.

I usually slather the whole thing with a mixture of garlic (lots), lemon, olive oil, and rosemary, then let it marinate for at least a day. We roast it on the Weber grill with hardwood lump coal and a couple of soaked wood chunks to generate some smoke.

My favorite dinner. I couldn't care less about the side dishes. Just give me the lamb.

There will be four of us here. I'm doing my traditional baked ham, scalloped potatoes, carrots, asparagus, and rolls. I'm also thinking I might make the salad I came up with for the GCCC since it has strawberries and chocolate.

Still not sure on the dessert yet thinking I might make a cheese cake, or maybe home made ice cream.

Every year we debate it and every year we have ham! Also lemon squares, lamb cake and the butter must be shaped like a lamb.

So far Ham with brown sugar and fruit to brush on it, Au gratin potatoes or risotto with parm and asparagus bits, appy's two salads one fruit and one green or could be a platter of tomatoes,avocado, thin sliced sweet onion, grilled corn with butter, home made rolls, cobbler, spiced nuts of some sort, That's it for now will post anything new that comes up .
kadesma:)

Have absolutely no clue, but I did buy a nice big ham this week. Glenn mentioned a few weeks ago that he remembered having a really tasty ham when he was growing up, so I'll try to recreate that memory. Not sure what else. He loves, loves, loves sweet potatoes, which would be a good side and there are still some Italian green beans in the freezer from last year's garden. I'm also thinking that a dessert including pineapple would be a good pairing. We both adore pineapple.

I have no clue if there'll be anyone beside the two of us. His mother is scheduled for hip replacement a few days after Easter and her birthday is the 30th and we don't know if anyone else has planned a birthday event for her. Glenn's children usually have that sort of thing taken care of, but I haven't heard anything as of yet. Still, there's plenty of time and we're flexible.

We're going to my dad's for Easter. He's in an independent living village and he's having the meal catered by the cafeteria staff there. Not sure what all he ordered. We have 3 people with April birthdays so will celebrate them as well. The only thing I know for sure is we will have 3 kinds of cake! My son wants an orange-blueberry cake (UVA colors), my niece wants vanilla cake with vanilla frosting and I chose cheesecake. The food will be good because I don't have to cook it and clean up will be a breeze since everything will be disposable.

don't really do anything for easter. i am not a religious person and feel this is a very religious occasion . i do have a small ham in freezer, maybe i will cook that for myself or not. my son and wife and their family are avid church goers and they do their thing. my daughter lives an hour away and she doesn't observe the holiday either. just another day for me. am sewing easter dresses for two of my great granddaughters.

don't really do anything for easter. i am not a religious person and feel this is a very religious occasion . i do have a small ham in freezer, maybe i will cook that for myself or not. my son and wife and their family are avid church goers and they do their thing. my daughter lives an hour away and she doesn't observe the holiday either. just another day for me. am sewing easter dresses for two of my great granddaughters.

Maybe you and your daughter can get together and "uncelebrate" together.:LOL:

There will be four of us here. I'm doing my traditional baked ham, scalloped potatoes, carrots, asparagus, and rolls. I'm also thinking I might make the salad I came up with for the GCCC since it has strawberries and chocolate.

Still not sure on the dessert yet thinking I might make a cheese cake, or maybe home made ice cream.

After I go to the restaurant I am stopping by Dave's house for salad and dessert! :cool:

I test drove a cooked salad last night...wilted spinach with strawberries, toasted walnuts and cranberries with warmed balsamic vinaigrette. I think I will do that again on Sunday with ham and swiss on rye sandwiches. Frozen Plain Greek Yogurt with Orange Marmalade sauce and mint for dessert.

We haven't settled on exactly what to have, but I'm thinking Baked ham, sweet potato casserole, asparagus, deviled eggs, green or fruit salad, rolls. Our grandson has asked for carrot cake for dessert so we will probably have that and maybe a lemon pie.

9 for dinner
hors d'ouvres include homemade hummus with pita, cucumber, and feta; endive with shrimp and peas, 3 cheeses, olives, and charcuterie

dinner: roasted leg of Colorado Lamb, with roasted Roma tomatoes, asparagus, dijon potatoes, and tdaziki, crusty bread fresh churned butter.

dessert is being brought by a guest.

sorry, not checking spelling today and I know I made some whopping errors :)

Back
Top Bottom