What's Indianapolis known for, food-wise? (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm planning a Super Bowl party.
I'd like to feature a regional dish from both cities............
If I can find "sport" peppers, I'll build Chicago-style hot dogs for my guests, BUT.............
I'm at a total loss when it comes to Indianapolis..............Ideas???

I must admit I was hoping it would be New Orleans and New England--- Would have been Easy!!
:chef:

Sizz, I think you need to take a bow in here. I know you're not from Indy, but besides an old boyfriend of mine who does not post on this board, you are all we've got from Indiana, as far as I know!

I grew up in Indiana but that was years ago. YEARS AGO. I have no idea what would be football party fair these days. baked beans? macroni salad? potato salad? slloppy joes?
I tried.

luckytrim said:
I'm planning a Super Bowl party.
I'd like to feature a regional dish from both cities............
If I can find "sport" peppers, I'll build Chicago-style hot dogs for my guests, BUT.............
I'm at a total loss when it comes to Indianapolis..............Ideas???

I must admit I was hoping it would be New Orleans and New England--- Would have been Easy!!
:chef:

Indy has never known what a professional sports championship game was like, so they never created a signature dish! :ohmy: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

This coming from a guy that is rooting for the Colts!

I did a quick Google search of indianapolis indiana signature dishes and came up with two. The most popular was pork tenderloin sandwiches (floured and fried), followed by corn on the cob with a vat (crockpot) of melted butter to dunk in before consumtion (sp?).

This is the link to where I got the information. I do not support the site, nor am I promoting the site for anything more then providing the answer to our question.

eG Forums -> Signature Indiana (or Indianapolis) dishes

I suppose my suggestions were more in tune with "favorite foods" of days gone by. Have wings, you can never go wrong with wings, even if they are a Buffalo New York dish.

not sports minded here, but what does Indianapolis have to do with this?? I have much Hoosier blood in me, and all I can say is, GOOD LUCK, coming up with any regional dishes. Nothing comes to my mind.

I've lived in Indiana my whole life, but being so near to Chicago has left me familiar with Chicago's regional dishes. Your best bet will be something with corn... I've got to say that if Indiana does have a signature dish, its corn on the cob, dipped in butter, and lightly salted. You might be able to get away with popcorn, since Orville-Redenbacker started his business in Valparaiso, IN.

corn fritters with dipping sauce (not unlike a hush puppy, but no onion and sweet with sugar)

bite size mini burgers (make em beef or meatloaf)

fish tails (again bite size pieces fresh water fish fried up) with dipping stuff

pork tenderloin milanese (slightly pounded pork tenderloin, flour, egg, crumbed, fried.) serve on rolls or buns with steak sauce or ketchup or ???

all these are mid west faves Minn, parts of Il, and Indy areas.

mac salad, pot salad, cole slaw...sure enough for a party!

(If you were in Wisc, you'd have to have cheese curds.)

Lived all around the midwest, including in Indianapolis (and preceded College Chef at IU by a few years) and have had fish fries and Maidrites and sliders and brats and chili 3 ways but nothing particular to Indy comes to mind......

When I think of Nap Town, I think of TGI Fridays.

Though I was once there maybe 15 years ago when they supposedly unveiled the world's largest cheese sandwich in Monument Circle. SO my vote will be for a cheese sandwiches.

Thanks to everyone for your input- concensus at work is it's got to be a corn dish; I'm leaning toward the corn on the cob, or the corn fritters, which I have done in the past.
I've got over a week to decide, so I'll wait a few days.
Again, thanks!
LT

I'm from Indiana!!!! I just posted on the other thread. I can't remember these sports things. But I know food.

Beans and cornbread are as Indiana as it gets!!! Very delicious. Or fried cabbage.

Go Indianapolis team!!!

What's Indianapolis known for, food-wise?

Every Superbowl, my man cooks a dish that's a specialty of each team's city or region.

Chicago is easy.

What are some ideas for Indy?

Lee

Last edited:
Lee, there's another current thread asking the same question. Based on the responses, I have to say good luck with that.

Sorry I don't know how I missed this one....being a transplanted Hoosier I know what my friends make when it comes to super bowl parties............you can bet there will be a steaming pot of chili and for sure hot wings.

I am a Bears fan, but have lived in Indiana all my life. We will be having either chili or beef stew, cocktail weiners and meatballs in the crockpot, cheeseball and crackers, and of course you have to have chips and salsa. I am also going to have brownies and cookies.

BigDog said:
I The most popular was pork tenderloin sandwiches (floured and fried), followed by corn on the cob with a vat (crockpot) of melted butter to dunk in before consumtion (sp?).

This is the link to where I got the information.
eG Forums -> Signature Indiana (or Indianapolis) dishes

BigDog, pork tenderloin sandwiches is the definitive answer - thanks a million! From the looks of the pictures in the link, they slice and pound out the slices (or else they have HUGE hogs in Indiana!)

Okay, so it's deep-dish pizza, pork tenderloin sandwiches and corn on the cob.

I hope the guy who wrote the South Beach diet isn't reading this.

GO RED SOX!! (Hey, I've moved on)

Lee

I like the idea of Chicago style hot dogs. Everybody can 'build' their own - less work for the host.

I happen to have the classic batter for that pork tenderloin it has to be batter dipped and fried----if you want it, let me know. It is from my Uncles tavern.

Back
Top Bottom