Allen's Bing Cherry Crisp Recipe--TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
PeppA, my other half, bought a couple bags of Bing Cherries yesterday. The kids love them! They've been eating them all afternoon, getting dark cherry juice all over their faces.

Well, after we ate dinner, PeppA told me to put the cherries away before they all dissappeared. I told her I was thinking about making a cherry crisp. She immediately turned to face me, grinned, and started shaking her head in agreement.

Well, I had to run to the store real quick to get some oatmeal. As I was coming home, I had an evil thought. Where the heck is my cherry pitter? I've been known to take it to work, to pit Kalamata olives. When I got home, I searched my equipment drawers, and sure enough, it's not there. Great. Now I've got to pit a bunch of cherries by hand. Not that hard, though, just tedious.

Allen’s Bing Cherry Crisp
Yields: 8 - 10 servings

1 c all-purpose flour
¼ t baking powder
¼ t baking soda
1 c packed brown sugar
1 c quick-cooking oats
½ c (one stick) butter, softened
~ 5 c fresh Bing Cherries, pitted
1 c sugar
2 T margarine or butter
1 T lemon juice, or to taste, optional

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and oats. Add the brown sugar, and mix until uniform. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or your hands. It should have a mealy texture, similar to coarse sand. Set aside.
Mix the cherries with the sugar, margarine or butter, and lemon juice in a 5 qt Dutch Oven. Place the pan over medium heat, and bring to a simmer. Add the topping over the cherries. Press the topping down gently with your hand, being careful not to press your hand down into the cherries. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool a bit before serving.
This dessert just begs for some ice cream!

In a little while, once the morning fog clears out of my head, I'll post a pic of what it looked like.

worcester sauce or some chili sauce glass bottles are ideal, then you need to get a chopstick, place the cherry on the open end of the bottle line up the chopstick and hit it, the pit goes into the bottle and your cherry should be on the chopstick minus a pit :)

YT2095 said:
worcester sauce or some chili sauce glass bottles are ideal, then you need to get a chopstick, place the cherry on the open end of the bottle line up the chopstick and hit it, the pit goes into the bottle and your cherry should be on the chopstick minus a pit :)
Great invention, YT!:)

Brilliant!!!!

YT2095 said:
I would not have thought of doing it this way. Thanks for the great idea YT!!!

I hadn`t thought of it either until I read the problem he faced, I just made it up :LOL:

you should see what I can make with a Wok and Coat hanger :ROFLMAO:

YT2095 said:
Wonderful idea YT..Now, do you wear a rain coat and who cleans up the cherry juice?:ROFLMAO: :LOL:

kadesma

well you`de have your hand around the cherry and holding the chopstick to align it.

for the rest that`s where the Wok and coat hanger comes in, the wok catches any juice that slides down the bottle, and the coat hanger`s to hang your T`Shirt on to dry after you`ve washed it :cool:

Now tell me I don`t think of things Well in Advance, I KNEW you were going to say that! ;)

Ok, here's the pic of my crisp. It was great!

2007bingcherrycrispah1.jpg

YT, thanks for the tip. I should have thought of that. It's the same principle as my cherry pitter.

AllenOK said:
YT, thanks for the tip. I should have thought of that. It's the same principle as my cherry pitter.

that fine, and I know a way you can show your Gratitude, I recon Fed-Ex could get me a slice of that in a day or less :angel::ROFLMAO:

And I just happen to have a bag of cherries in the fridge! YIPPEE! Alix, do you think I can handle this recipe? It is baking after all
img_452110_0_b5ec2356882aff4ef1e2866e7884e04a.gif

KE, did you mean Alix, or me?

It's a pretty straight-forward, easy recipe. Other than pitting the cherries, (which is more tedious than hard), the hardest part was mixing the crust. You don't have to worry about it falling, as it doesn't rise, and as long as you don't burn it by over cooking, you're fine.

I pitted two pounds of cherries last night, Allen, and have the stains around my cuticles to prove it. Since I now have 3 ziplocks full of cherries in the freezer, one of them will have to be used to make your crisp.

Know where my pitter is, but thanks YT for the handy alternative!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom