Crisp/Crumble with Pre-Cooked Apples?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mossimoze

Assistant Cook
I'm definitely a novice chef :chef:, but slowly working my way up in an attempt to feed my family better all the time! Yesterday I made some slow-cooker apples and was hoping to turn them into a tasty dessert today, either an apple crisp or crumble. All of the recipes I've run into include cooking the apples, which are already SUPER soft. Any chance I can just make the 'crisp' and add apples to it afterward?:huh:

yep. Put some warm apples in a sundae cup, top with cooked/toasted crumble and whipped cream (or ice cream)

>>Any chance I can just make the 'crisp' and add apples to it afterward?

close. generally you see most of the recipes call for a long bake in a medium oven. long = cook the apples.

you probably can do the topping separate - but you'll lose some integration into the apple filling, and also the crust will "break up" when handled - more an aesthetic thing than taste I suppose.

make up your topping, spread in over the soft/cooked apples, blast it uncovered at 425-450'F - watch the top for "done-ness" i.e don't let it burn. the apples will warm up in the process of blasting the top crisp.

I'd guesstimate 15-20 minutes in a preheated oven . . . .

Like I said earlier, I would make the crumble and use it to top the already cooked apples. You can integrate it with your spoon as you eat it. If you want your apples warm, zap them separately in the micro, then layer it in a serving dish.
Crumble: oatmeal, nuts, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg. spread on cookie sheet and bake. stir. Like making granola.

Thanks for your input ladies. I actually got started after reading the first response from Wyogal and it turned out just fine. I ended up cooking the crumble in a small round casserole dish, and I should have spread it out more so it could cook through (I'm a learn-as-I-go-cook), but the savory apple crisp taste was there. Delicious!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom