Crumb topping for pies/cobblers? Anyone have a good one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runninduo

Senior Cook
I like pies/cobblers with crumb toppings. I always sort of muddle my way through making them, but would love a fail-proof recipe.

I'd be particularly interested in recipes that call for brown sugar. Then again, brown sugar could probably be used for white sugar in a recipe, right?

Thanks!

Hi runninduo, I've tasted cheesecake topped with streusel and it was heavenly (it was crumbly, crunchy and nutty all at once). You might want to try this as your topping. I don't have a recipe for this though...

Hi mudbug, do you simply mix up all the ingredients? Would you need to somehow cook the AP flour first? (Sorry if this is a stupid question.) :oops:

Just mix 'em all up uncooked and sprinkle on top of whatever goodie you are making. Having the butter cold is importantl; also, rolled oats are good in these types of streusel. Use brown sugar if you prefer.

Thanks mudbug! (I never thought one could eat flour uncooked but thanks for straightening me out!)

Chopstix, you wouldn't be using enough flour to have it taste bad, plus the melting butter and sugar are gonna help "cook" it. Ain't chemistry da bomb?

Because of it's water content, butter based crumbs don't have the same lightness/crumbliness of shortening based ones. Not that I'm advocating shortening, mind you. But if you want to go the extra mile, try clarified butter.

Cold butter, as Mudbug said, is very important. If the butter is too warm, the crumb will have a tendency to collapse/spread.

Also, one of my favorite crumb toppings is the streusel on Entenmanns crumb. They use crushed filberts in theirs. It adds a nice touch.

Crumb topping for pies/cobblers

I use a pretty standard topping that I adapt for whatever I am making. At this time of year, we have a bounty of fresh apples, so I make this topping and refrigerate it...then a pie is no more than 15 minutes to put in the oven.
Recipe: 1/ 1 cup brown sugar
2/ 1 cup melted butter
3/ 1 cup of oatmeal
4/ cinnamon to taste (for apples)
then refrigerate until it starts to harden....take fork and "rake"
into crumbs.
Put into a sealed contasiner in the fridge and will keep for weeks(ya right!)
Then I also freeze pie dough already in the plate (like commercially) and a pie is no more than 15 minutes until it is the oven. :D

pst1can am definitely going to try your refrigerator method too!
here's what I use...

Streusel Topping

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds, crushed
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 oz. butter, cut into small cubes, softened

Combine ingredients in a bowl.
Mix with hands until mixture turns into "crumbles".
Use as a topping for cobblers, strudel, crumb pies and cakes.
Makes 2 cups

Good Luck!

found this on FoodNetwork today - sounds good to me!
Think it would make a nice change from the oatmeal toppings.

Crunchy Macaroon Topping
Recipe courtesy Megan McDiarmid

2 1/2 cups crumbled coconut macaroons
3/4 cup whole pecans
1/4 cup light brown sugar
6 tablespoons cold sweet butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes

Put all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles a coarse meal.

Good Luck!

Re: Crumb topping for pies/cobblers

pst1can said:
I use a pretty standard topping that I adapt for whatever I am making. At this time of year, we have a bounty of fresh apples, so I make this topping and refrigerate it...then a pie is no more than 15 minutes to put in the oven.
Recipe: 1/ 1 cup brown sugar
2/ 1 cup melted butter
3/ 1 cup of oatmeal
4/ cinnamon to taste (for apples)
then refrigerate until it starts to harden....take fork and "rake"
into crumbs.
Put into a sealed contasiner in the fridge and will keep for weeks(ya right!)
Then I also freeze pie dough already in the plate (like commercially) and a pie is no more than 15 minutes until it is the oven. :D

I love the oatmeal added in with this crumb crust.. It just give it such a rich flavor.
I like the idea of adding nuts to it as well.

pst... I am not that crazy about walnuts either, however. Pecans are to acid-y for me. They make my tongue hurt.

I can eat almonds all day...

Back
Top Bottom