Graham Cracker Crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jusnikki

Head Chef
I thought I had seen a thread on this subject a couple of weeks ago. I did a search and found nothing. My question is what is the ratio of butter to cracker crumbs? Say for a 13x9 pan. Mine are always crumbly when I make it..... THanks:chef:

Here's what do for a 10" round cheesecake:

2⅓ C Graham Cracker Crumbs
(⅔ of a 14-15 Oz. Box of graham crackers, 10 oz.)
¼ C Sugar
½ C Unsalted Butter, melted

Make crumbs of the crackers, combine with the sugar then mix in the butter. I do it all in a food processor.

Press it into a pan with a flat bottomed glass or similar and bake.

I usually use 6 tablespoons of melted butter for every 2 cups of crumbs, seems to work well. I make a lot of cheesecake. This is enough for a 9" cheesecake, so double that should easily cover a 9x13" pan.

If I am using graham crackers I add 1 tablespoon of sugar per cup of crumbs.

If I am using vanilla wafers or a sweeter cookie, I add no sugar. If using oreos, or other sandwich cookie, you can use a bit less butter, since the filling helps hold it together.

Last edited:
nikki, in your graham cracker crust, is salt an ingredient? a little salt makes a huge difference--sets off the sweetness, enhances it somehow. i recently bought a chocolate cream pie. it was ok, but i was absolutely wowed by the gc crust!! i went back for seconds of that pie mainly to taste more of that sweet/salty buttery gc crust. afterwards, i looked up cgraham cracker crust recipes on the internet. only some of them include salt. one recipe for a 9" pie used 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. sorry to go on and on like this nikki, but it was a real eye opener for me--i hadn't even much cared for gc crust before this. now i'm totally on it! :) good luck with your butter/crumb ratio....:)

nikki, in your graham cracker crust, is salt an ingredient? a little salt makes a huge difference--sets off the sweetness, enhances it somehow. i recently bought a chocolate cream pie. it was ok, but i was absolutely wowed by the gc crust!! i went back for seconds of that pie mainly to taste more of that sweet/salty buttery gc crust. afterwards, i looked up cgraham cracker crust recipes on the internet. only some of them include salt. one recipe for a 9" pie used 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. sorry to go on and on like this nikki, but it was a real eye opener for me--i hadn't even much cared for gc crust before this. now i'm totally on it! :) good luck with your butter/crumb ratio....:)

I've never used salt in my graham cracker crust. But I will this time. Salt always seem to kick up the sweetness or something.... But that's a great idea, thanks vitauta!!:chef:

I usually use 6 tablespoons of melted butter for every 2 cups of crumbs, seems to work well. I make a lot of cheesecake. This is enough for a 9" cheesecake, so double that should easily cover a 9x13" pan.

If I am using graham crackers I add 1 tablespoon of sugar per cup of crumbs.

If I am using vanilla wafers or a sweeter cookie, I add no sugar. If using oreos, or other sandwich cookie, you can use a bit less butter, since the filling helps hold it together.

Thanks bc, this is a great help!! I've often made my own crust for my cheesecakes but I don't like how crumbly they turn out, lol. So, the last few I've use the premade and I don't care for them much either. Nothing like putting a homemade filling in a premade shell...:rolleyes:. Thanks again...

The recipe I've always used calls for 4 tbsp. unsalted butter for every 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, along with 1/2 cup of white sugar and a pinch of salt.

Back
Top Bottom