I think I have perfected my Apple Crisp recipe....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I've been working on this one for a couple weeks now. I think I finally have it.

Allen’s Fantastic Apple Crisp
Makes: one 9 x 13” pan

I like to use a mix of Granny Smith and Macintosh apples for this one. It provides a balance between taste and texture. If you can find some really good-sized apples, you may want to go down to 7 apples. Also, if the juice or cider is really sweet, you may want to reduce it down to ½ c. Ice cream would go great with this dessert.

1 c all-purpose flour
¼ t baking powder
¼ t baking soda
1 c packed brown sugar
1 c quick-cooking oats
½ c butter, softened
9 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
¾ c white sugar
1 T all-purpose flour
1 t ground cinnamon
½ c apple juice
-or- apple cider

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Sift together 1 c of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, oats, and brown sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or your hands. It should have a mealy texture, similar to coarse sand. Set aside. Mix the white sugar, 1 T flour, and ground cinnamon together, and toss with the apples. Place the sliced apples in a 9 x 13” pan. Pour the juice or cider evenly over all. Crumble the streusel topping evenly over the apple mixture. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 45 minutes.

only 9 small Gala apples. I had to use what we had, as the other batch was a "spur of the moment" thing. I'll probably do one more batch next week or so, just to confirm that the recipe I posted is good. Honestly, I think the batch I made was great, but since I used some cider, instead of apple juice, it came out a little sweeter than expected, and Laurie, my other half, who is diabetic, made a comment that it was awfully sweet.

Gee thanks, Alan. Now I'm going to have to go buy some second-rate apples and try to make this one tomorrow! By golly, it sure sounds great -- thanks for the recipe!

I'm gonna try this. I actually spent an hour today looking at different cobbler/crumble recipes. I was looking specifically for a recipe that had brown sugar in the topping.

Thanks!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom