Rhubarb Crunch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Rhubarb Crunch
Makes 12 servings.

3 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly
grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2 In a large mixing bowl combine rhubarb, white sugar,
and 3 tablespoons flour. Stir well and spread evenly into
baking dish. Set aside.
3 In a large mixing bowl combine brown sugar, oats, and 1
1/2 cups flour. Stir well then cut in butter or margarine
until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over rhubarb
layer.
4 Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

katluvscake said:
I heard that rhubarb was poisonous if you don't cook it before you eat it. Does anyone know if that is true?
I don't think so or I would be dead or diseased by now :ohmy: . Growing up we would eat it like sticks of celery with a bit of salt.

Thanks for letting everyone for responding. This may sound silly but I always get scared eating rhubarb because I would wonder if all of the posion was cooked out of them. I won't worry so much anymore.

I love raw rhubarb, with a bit of salt. Again, the stalks are perfectly good to eat. I didn't know the leaves were poisonous,. so I did a bit of research and found this site - http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-background.html#TOC2. It tells teh botanical nature of rhubarb, its history, its differing varieties, and its cousins and look-alikes. It also confirms that the leaves are indeed poisonous, and what susbtance in the leaf is the culprit, and how it affects you if you eat it.

That being said, the edible stalk, and roots, have medicinal value. They are also a vegetable, but work very well in jams, jellies, and pies. Their flavor naturally compliments strawberries and vice-versa. Rhubarb-straberry pie was a favorite of my mother, and is enjoyed by my family as well. Rhubarb can also be made into a sweet and sour sauce to be used with white meats, and pork, and with tempura-coated foods.

It's a hardy, easy to grow veggie that needs only water, and a place with rich soil. It needs little care and spreads profusely.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My grandma used to grow a little rhubarb in her flower bed. She really loved it.
I like rhubard pie with vanilla ice cream on it. I'll bet your crunch is really good, Raine.

Thanks the above info was a great help, I thought I had made a big boob by eating rhubarb raw!!

Elisheva

:) Im with philso send us some ruhbarb I understand it does grow wild in the right conditions.I believe it grows in northern New Mexico but Im not sure they say we can get wild asparagus also grown in the the many irrigation ditches.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom