Alcohol Nutrition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TATTRAT

The Dude Abides
Moderator Emeritus
SO, the other threads on calorie counting and weight loss got me thinking, actually something I have wondered about for a while now.

I have wondered why they don't have nutritional info printed on booze bottles, and beer bottles. They do on soda, juices, sport drinks, and even water.

Why not alcohol?

I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist. But in my defence, I know how alcohol affects the physiology of the body. But I detest the flavor of the alcohol. I haven't had any alcoholic beverage in over thirty years.

I believe that I have read that alcohlic beverages are usually very high in sugars and carbohydrates in general. How the alcohol itself reacts with and changes the other ingredients, I just don't know. But I bet there are some people around here that do.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

So then what classifies all other beverages as foodstuffs?

I hear ya, GW. Grain alcohol is empty calories and sugars, and low in carbs, but carbs are normally in the mixers. It is the sugars that do not get converted and turned to glucose in the body that can add weight as well.

Just seems that everything else packaged has the info, strange that booze does not...except when it wants to tout about" low Calorie", or "light"...you would think they would at least have the info on there for a basis of comparison.

Last edited:
Quick Google search.

Alcohol is regulated by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, now called Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau. It's not food.

Foodstuff are regulated by the USDA and FDA.

Until 1993 it was against the law to have them

Now such labels are not required and are strictly regulated to prevent false health claims arising from "Lite" beers and "lo carb" etc.

Caine nailed it!!

Generally, 1 jigger (1 1/2 ounces) of liquor (gin, rum, vodka, whiskey, bourbon etc) contains:
97 calories

0 gm protein

0 gm fat

0 gm carbohydrate

5 oz wine runs about the same. 90 calories + or -

Enjoy! In moderation!

TATTRAT said:
Beer, NOT FOOD! Blasphemy:LOL:

so much for fizzy oats in the morning!

Although it's been years since I lived in Germany, it may have been propaganda but we were told that a liter of beer was as healthy as a loaf of whole grain bread. :huh:

An ounce of 80 proof booze contains 64 calories
An ounce of 86 proof booze contains 70 calories
An ounce of 90 proof booze contains 73 calories
An ounce of 100 proof booze contains 82 calories

A 12 oz can of beer is around 150 calories
A 12 oz can of light beer is around 100 calories

Five ounces of a dry red wine runs about 96 calories
Five ounces of a dry white wine runs about 120-125 calories

And what's wrong with empty calories? No fats, no cholesterol and low carbs except for the beer.

TATTRAT said:
SO, the other threads on calorie counting and weight loss got me thinking, actually something I have wondered about for a while now.

I have wondered why they don't have nutritional info printed on booze bottles, and beer bottles. They do on soda, juices, sport drinks, and even water.

Why not alcohol?

Because there is actually no nutritional value in alcohol. None whatsoever. Beer may have the ingredients listed, but that's as far as it goes.

Even though some people like to drink liquor and beer, and it makes them "feel good", about the only thing it does is put on extra pounds.:neutral:

Corey123 said:
Because there is actually no nutritional value in alcohol. None whatsoever. Beer may have the ingredients listed, but that's as far as it goes.

Even though some people like to drink liquor and beer, and it makes them "feel good", about the only thing it does is put on extra pounds.:neutral:

Actually, beer does have some slightnutritional value

Andy M. said:
And what's wrong with empty calories? No fats, no cholesterol and low carbs except for the beer.

Personally, I hate the taste of alcohol, so if I am only allowed so many calories per day, I'll save them for a nice big hunk of chocolate cake, thanks anyway.

Caine said:
Personally, I hate the taste of alcohol, so if I am only allowed so many calories per day, I'll save them for a nice big hunk of chocolate cake, thanks anyway.

And here I thought I was the only person on the planet who hates the flavor of alcohol. Woo hoo!:mrgreen: We need to start a club for ourselves. I now have to change my thinking. There are two people on the planet who don't like the flavor of alcohol.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That is a fair assuption on a lot of things that provide a "buzz". The reason people partake is morefor the effects, not the taste, be it alcohol, coffee, power drinks, etc.

If it did not provide a "buzz" I don't think many people would drink stuff. I guess that is also why they say good stuff can be an aquired taste.

Has anyone tried Absolut Ruby Red? Yikes, that's some nice fresh, crisp stuff.

I haven't had it for breakfast yet, but I'm tempted ....:devilish:

Back
Top Bottom