Any food allergies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
I am allergic to pea's and fresh dill. I know a lady that is allergic to potato peelings but can eat the potato. How about you or someone you know?

Add me to the potato peelings group. It's gotten better with age but.. when ever I peel potatoes I'm still afraid that my hands and arms will start to itch and my eyes will swell itch blister and turn an ugly shade of red.

Sulfites (which makes wine a no-no), salt, fresh lemons (except meyers), fresh limes & grapefruit, sometimes cantaloupe, honeydew & strawberries (when they're not over-ripe), some seafood, and the list goes on....

I'm allergic to fresh pineapple, it makes my tounge swell up.:( I just found out yesterday that I have a cousin who is allergic to sucrose. Can you imagine not being able to eat anything with sugar in it?!

I used to be allergic to cool whip. The dr. said I'd grow out of it. I used to also be allergic to cola but I never liked it much anyway. If I eat a lot of raw garlic it makes me loopy, although cooked doesn't bother me.

Andy M. said:
I'm allergic to clams and my SO is allergic to lobster.

Sounds like a shell fish allergie Andy. Can you eat other fish? My husband is the same, no shell fish for him, but he can eat haddock, cod.

After an allergy test I was told I was allergic to eggs, but I really dont have a reaction to them at all when I eat them. Walnuts bother me, I get an itchy mouth and canker sores from them. Those are the only food allergies I know of, but am allergic to pollen, grass, mold spores, and cats.

amber said:
Sounds like a shell fish allergie Andy. Can you eat other fish? My husband is the same, no shell fish for him, but he can eat haddock, cod.

We both can eat every kind of shellfish except the one item we each are allergic to.

does aloe count? I've never eaten it, but I've heard you can....

It makes me break out in lotion/oil/moisturizer/sunscreen form. Weird, right?

But other than that, I've been lucky so far! I wish I was allergic to peas.:-p

Eggs make me feel sick if I eat them by themself like scrambled eggs or boiled eggs or whatever but if they are baked in to something or like a custard or whatever I feel fine.

I'm not allergic to any foods, but I am allergice to, don't laugh, cold temperatures. So sometimes when I eat something really cold, like ice cream, my lips, tongue and mouth will swell. Anything that touches something cold, swells. Not such a good thing living in the Chicago area!

img_288390_0_10cf01001b94f65f5c13f263005855f4.jpg

Well, seriously, and luckily, I don't have any food allergies that I know. Except that one time I ate grouper a while ago, it got me a bit sicky that was the only time any food bothered me directly.
I feel so fortunate, I don't think I can live my life without dairy or wheat, and would be so sad if I couldn't eat my favourite fresh fruits (poor Jkath!!) like strawberries or other berries and melons!!

Tomatoes here, and msg, citrus, high acid foods, high fat foods, sulpher (dried fruits), milk when drunk alone, as well as pollen and grass allergies and propylene glycol in skin care and makeup. Geez, I'm a bit of a culinary drag!:( I have no problem with sugar, unfortunately...:pig:

:) My mother and one of my brothers is allergic to shrimp if they eat it they become violently ill throwing up.They also cant eat any thing thats fried in the same oil as shrimp.

I had a blood test that uncovered an allergy to milk. I was curious about this as I had always had milk and didn't think it was a problem. I got sent to an allergist for other reasons (namely to see if I could get a cat - as a pet not to eat!!!) and he looked into the milk allergy further.

I'm allergic to goat's milk, apparently, how weird is that?

I have never tried it, and if I have goats cheese I get an itchy throat (I don't like goats cheese much anyway)

I'm certainly allergic to sulphur (metabisulphates) and am so pleased that more stores are stocking sulphur free dried fruits. I have to be really careful with wines, a lot of them are full of the metabisulphates.

Back
Top Bottom