Best diet snacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I snack on lots of veggies. I avoid fruits because of the sugar content. I have never been that fond of fruits anyway. Nuts are a great snack, if you eat them in the proper portions. I usually measure out mine in a ziploc bag.

When losing weight make sure you drink lots of water. Also, exercise portion control. Most of us eat way more than we should. It is ok to be hungry and to not totally clean your plate.

Good Luck!! :)

texasgirl said:
Is pimento cheese a no no?

pimento cheese is higher in calories than fat-free cheese and is high in fat. but i don't see how one 80-calorie serving could hurt. what counts is your overall calorie consumption. go ahead and have your pimento cheese. just have it in moderation and i promise you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I agree with Caine, sure carrots are high in sugar; for a vegetable. Its not refined sugar like you find in most packaged foods, so your body has to break it down to get the sugar. breaking food down burns energy so it all evens out in the wash. I live by the motto, the less the food is tampered with the better it is for me. This same approach leaves me with no need to watch fat or calories.

middie said:
someone told me to steer clear of carrots cause there's alot of sugar in them. is that true?

The only vegetable that contains more sugar than a carrot is the sugar beet. That's the reason you'll see a lot of Italian tomato sauces that include carrots - for the sugar in the carrots to counteract the acid taste of the tomatoes.

Had an XW that used to live on something called "Peel-a-Pound" soup - the idea was that you burned more calories digesting it than you consumed. It worked for about a week or two ... then her metabolism kicked in and made adjustments, and the weight loss stopped.

If you want something with bluk to fill you up but with virtually no nutritional value ... a shredded iceburg lettuce salad with only salt and pepper on it.

1 pound is 3,500 calories. For every 3,500 calories you eat over what your body burns off you gain a pound. For every 3,500 calories you burn over what you comsume you lose a pound. A balanced reduced calorie diet will give sustained weight loss - an unbalanced diet that throws your metabolism off may work wonders for a few days ... then it plateus.

luvs_food said:
pimento cheese is higher in calories than fat-free cheese and is high in fat. but i don't see how one 80-calorie serving could hurt. what counts is your overall calorie consumption. go ahead and have your pimento cheese. just have it in moderation and i promise you'll be fine.

Thanks luvs, I just smeared about 2 tablespoons, if that, on my whole wheat.

Everything in moderation. When I diet I try to slowly cut back on portions first while adding a little more vegetables and fruits than I usually do.

I also agree, lots and lots of water will also help especially before each meal.

Also try not to eat and rush if possible.

These are some snacks that I will make if on a diet and want a little something special. That way I don't get bored with the diet and cheat.

White bean dip and pita chips:
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil, plus 4 tablespoons
1/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 pitas
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the beans, garlic, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, and parsley in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the bean puree to a small bowl.

Cut each pita in half and then into 8 wedges. Arrange the pita wedges on a large baking sheet. Pour the remaining oil over the pitas. Toss and spread out the wedges evenly. Sprinkle with the oregano, salt, and pepper. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until toasted and golden in color. Serve the pita toasts warm or at room temperature alongside the bean puree.

Guacamole Salsa with pita chips (calarie commando):

Alvacaso is high in fat, but it is a healthy fat and in this recipe you only use 1

Cut pita bread into triangles. Spray with a little pam and sprinkle with desired seasoning. Bake in oven on 400 until brown.

1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1 small red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped to a paste
1 lime, juiced
Salt and pepper
2 large vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped into large chunks
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

You can also put this into a layer in a serving dish then layer with black beans and top with fat free sour cream.

Sweet potato fries:

Sweet potatos are very healthy and rich in vitamins.

If I get a craving for french fries I will dice some sweet potatoes into fries. Spray with a little pam and then sprinkle on seasoning (any kind you want). Air bake them at about 400. (Put them onto a pan that will allow the air from the oven to go around all sides.) When they come out I toss a little parmesan cheese onto them.

Michael in FtW said:
1 pound is 3,500 calories. For every 3,500 calories you eat over what your body burns off you gain a pound. For every 3,500 calories you burn over what you comsume you lose a pound. A balanced reduced calorie diet will give sustained weight loss - an unbalanced diet that throws your metabolism off may work wonders for a few days ... then it plateus.

i don't know what's on your plateus michael, :)
but part of the balancing act is also dependent on when you eat different things. eating 1 huge, albeit healthy and well balanced meal a day is not good. your body thinks that this is the only food i'll get for the next day, so i'd better save some to burn later (in the form of fat). it's much better to keep eating healthy stuff, like raw veggies and fruit all day to keep your body from having to store fat.

Guess I should have gone on to say that a balanced diet isn't just one meal aday, huh buckytom? One meal a day will cause the "primative" metabolism to kick in and be just as bad as a diet that deprives the body of one essential "something" - just as you described. All I can remember from the research project I was involved with was that there were 3 meals a day and 3 snacks ... the majority of the calories were in the morning and early afternoon ... I haven't seen my books/notes since XW and I divorced about 25 years ago.

Last edited:
lol michael. i was sure you knew, but i just added it as an fyi (and i got to make a joke using "plateus" :) ).

i like the term primitive metabolism. i am extremely guilty of triggering mine. i enjoy eating so much that rather than eat a rushed meal or snack, i wait until all work is done for the day so i can sit down, slow down, and savor my meal. then, i don't want to have to get up and do anything afterwards but relax. i should move to europe.

Everytime I get my tummy full, I have to take a nap! That's why I don't eat breakfast...I just munch a few soda crackers with my morning pills. Then I have a light lunch...usually soup...and take a nap. I save my big meal for supper, about 8:00, and am usually in bed by 9:00.

By the way, has anyone suggested popcorn as a light snack? I love to put a good movie in the DVD player and fix a bag of popcorn.

I've started eating 5 mini meals a day, spreading my calories out over the day. Now that I am weight training my previously slow as a wet fortnight metabolism is whizzing along, and I feel hungry often, but eating regular little meals is helping, and a side effect is I don't need to snack!

Blueberries and strawberries are my current favourite snack food. I am still amazed that a punnet of blueberries has 40 calories, and tenth of my favourite chocolate bar, and tastes nicer, and has nutritional value, unlike the chocolate bar!!!

Wow!! Pita Chips

I heard of tortilla chip but never pita chips,That a wonderful subsitute. I'm always looking for new ideas for healthy snacks while watching television. Thanks Cooking:chef:Gal

fruit

SierraCook said:
I snack on lots of veggies. I avoid fruits because of the sugar content. I have never been that fond of fruits anyway. Nuts are a great snack, if you eat them in the proper portions. I usually measure out mine in a ziploc bag.

When losing weight make sure you drink lots of water. Also, exercise portion control. Most of us eat way more than we should. It is ok to be hungry and to not totally clean your plate.

Good Luck!! :)

Do fruit really have that much sugar?? So, would eating veggies or fruit be better?? Or just a bit of both, moderation??

Is the US really the fatest country in the world??

Last edited:
Peppers eat peppers!!!!! The Hotter the better!!!!

ORRRRRRR.....

You can try one, just one unsalted potato chip as a snack, hehehehe.

On of my favorite snacks when I just have to have something sweet is No Pudge Brownies. Its a mix called No Pudge Fudge Brownie Mix. Its fat free and 90 calories for a 2" square brownie. You can even make individual servings in the microwave. Just mix 2 tablespoons of mix with 1 tablespoon of fat free vanilla yogurt and microwave for 1 minute. Its delicious!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom