"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Butter is Good!

Stumbled across this today.

https://munchies.vice.com/en/article...ay-for-decades

The article behind the article:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0412211335.htm

While the article also states that "butter might not be a health food" I feel like it's only a matter of time before research will indicate otherwise.

I'll continue to enjoy it (along with lard) in the meantime. I don't need research to prove that butter definitely makes me feel better.

__________________

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,488


I felt guilty the other day picking up a half pound package of cultured European style butter.

I don't use much but I gotta have it on my steamed asparagus!
__________________

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,397
I decided a few years ago that it was one food I wasn't going to worry too much about. I use it for cooking whenever I feel like it...Life is too short to give up everything....
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,085
Thank you Steve.

This once again demonstrates the scientific community has little understanding of how foods and the human body interact.

These reversals of universal truths have been going on for decades. I decided some time ago that I would just ignore all the breathless proclamations and eat what I want.

Conversations with my doctor have yielded similar results. He reveals that the truths the medical community once clung tightly to have since been, at least, brought into question if not completely debunked.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
There are some veggies and other foods that simply CANNOT be eaten without butter. I think it may be a law somewhere. A beautiful well seasoned and cooked steak without a pat of butter? Such a sacrilegious action. Thirty lashes with a strand of cooked pasta.

Emeril used to say "Pork Rules." I say Butter Rules.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thank you Steve.

This once again demonstrates the scientific community has little understanding of how foods and the human body interact.

These reversals of universal truths have been going on for decades. I decided some time ago that I would just ignore all the breathless proclamations and eat what I want.

Conversations with my doctor have yielded similar results. He reveals that the truths the medical community once clung tightly to have since been, at least, brought into question if not completely debunked.
I'm not sure we should blame the scientific community for the poor communication skills of some reporters. The media too often repeats unsubstantiated claims or oversimplifies study results, so the public ends up being misinformed.

Check this out: "Feeding Homo Sapiens: Are We Truly as Clueless as We Seem?"

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/diet-...b_4472930.html
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There are some veggies and other foods that simply CANNOT be eaten without butter. I think it may be a law somewhere. A beautiful well seasoned and cooked steak without a pat of butter? Such a sacrilegious action. Thirty lashes with a strand of cooked pasta.

Emeril used to say "Pork Rules." I say Butter Rules.
As much as I love steak, I have never put butter on it. That's for the potato

Emeril said, "Pork FAT rules!" 🐷
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,070
We use butter every time it's needed. My daughter uses margarine.
She left a stick or two here about 6 months ago. Its still sitting in the fridge as we have no desire to use it. Even in a box potato side dish.
I like salted even though most recipes call for unsalted. We buy salted at Costco.
Roll_Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Check this out: "Feeding Homo Sapiens: Are We Truly as Clueless as We Seem?"

Feeding Homo Sapiens: Are We Truly as Clueless as We Seem?
Funny thing... I'm an admin on another food-related board, and I've said this same thing myself many, many times. I see so many posts where people will ask something silly like "Should I eat 2 meals a day, or 3?"

Really?

My answer to these folks is YOU SHOULD EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY!

Human beings are the only species on the entire planet who seem to have a need to be told how to do something that should come natural.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 4,762
All things in moderation, right?

We went out to breakfast yesterday, and I asked for the butter on the side of my toast please.
I got a small plastic cup with a small scoop of MARGARINE, ACK!!

Name:   emoticon-yuck.gif
Views: 385
Size:  658 Bytes
Needless to say, I left the toast, thanks anyways.
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Funny thing... I'm an admin on another food-related board, and I've said this same thing myself many, many times. I see so many posts where people will ask something silly like "Should I eat 2 meals a day, or 3?"

Really?

My answer to these folks is YOU SHOULD EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY!

Human beings are the only species on the entire planet who seem to have a need to be told how to do something that should come natural.
That is exactly what I do. Right now I have a lovely pork chop brining. Pirate may be the one to eat it. If I am not hungry, I do not eat. Not even the six or so small snacks that are said to be recommended by dieticians for diabetic patients. Common sense tells me what to do.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
I'm another who eats when I'm hungry. Rarely if ever eat breakfast. I do love butter on many things.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:07 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...A beautiful well seasoned and cooked steak without a pat of butter? Such a sacrilegious action...
Um, no. No butter on steak at our table. If I have an excellent piece of steak that is full of great flavor, why would I want to mask that with butter? Butter on steak is akin to steak sauce on steak - you use it to hide an inferior piece of meat. Or one that has had the juice cooked out of it. Like GG, I'll just make sure my tater is slathered good.

We rarely have steak because we like a really good piece that can get a little pricey. It comes from an old-fashioned butcher that raises and slaughters his own cattle. We like to pick quality over quantity - or frequency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
...I see so many posts where people will ask something silly like "Should I eat 2 meals a day, or 3?"

Really?

My answer to these folks is YOU SHOULD EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY! ...
Sadly, a lot of people these days don't understand the difference between a need-to-eat hunger and an I'm-bored-so-I'll-eat hunger.
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #14
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Sadly, a lot of people these days don't understand the difference between a need-to-eat hunger and an I'm-bored-so-I'll-eat hunger.
Or for that matter, the "It's 6:00 so it's time to eat" logic.

I'll admit we always did that when our daughter was growing up. We planned family time around the dinner table. But now that I'm on my own, I eat any old time I please. Dinner might be anywhere from 3:00 in the afternoon until 9:00 at night. It just depends on when I'm hungry.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 10,026
Thanks, Steve. I can't remember the last time I bought margarine/oleo...whatever it's called. Give me butter with dairy over chemicals any day.

We had the "dinner at 6" for years, hungry or not, too. For the last many years though, I also just eat when I'm hungry. It is sort of a loose schedule, with a late morning breakfast and early dinner. I like to have my main meal by 4 or so. Snacking in between. If I eat late like I did last night at 7 , that's out of the norm. It's just what works for me.

A few of the recent posts about eating when you're hungry reminded me of a thread from a year or two ago. I thought it was fun and interesting - I'll try to find it and bump it for our newer members in case they want to add to it.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,117
I was raised with butter and have never bought into the notion of replacing butter even when it was fashionable and less expensive to do so. Remember all the various TV commericials...."tastes like butter", "better than butter"? No it doesn't, and no it's not.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 3,287
Over the years I've ping-ponged using butter and margarine, reading health articles about the two.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Over the years I've ping-ponged using butter and margarine, reading health articles about the two.
When I was raising my family it was oleo for just the savings in cost. But every so often I would buy butter for baking. Then one day I read the list of ingredients on the oleo. I switched to only butter and never went back. My kids noticed the difference right away. And I found they were more likely to eat veggies without a fight.

At that time I was unaware of the supposedly health dangers of using butter. I have never gone back to oleo and never will. But I have cut down on the use. I am eating less and baking less. I used to buy four pound boxes of butter every month. Now it is just one pound. And I don't even use all that in a month. And there are two of us in this home.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There are some veggies and other foods that simply CANNOT be eaten without butter. I think it may be a law somewhere. A beautiful well seasoned and cooked steak without a pat of butter? Such a sacrilegious action. Thirty lashes with a strand of cooked pasta.

Emeril used to say "Pork Rules." I say Butter Rules.
For me, nothing puts the "sunny" in my sunny side up fried eggs better than cooking them in a pat of butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
We use butter every time it's needed. My daughter uses margarine.
She left a stick or two here about 6 months ago. Its still sitting in the fridge as we have no desire to use it. Even in a box potato side dish.
I like salted even though most recipes call for unsalted. We buy salted at Costco.
I use unsalted for cooking because I want to be the one to control the salt in the dish. Salted is only used when serving something on the table that needs butter, like spreading it on fresh bread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Um, no. No butter on steak at our table. If I have an excellent piece of steak that is full of great flavor, why would I want to mask that with butter? Butter on steak is akin to steak sauce on steak - you use it to hide an inferior piece of meat. Or one that has had the juice cooked out of it. Like GG, I'll just make sure my tater is slathered good.

We rarely have steak because we like a really good piece that can get a little pricey. It comes from an old-fashioned butcher that raises and slaughters his own cattle. We like to pick quality over quantity - or frequency.
Many of the best steak houses serve steak with a pat of compound butter. It certainly doesn't mask the flavor of the meat like a steak sauce does - it enhances, just as any other properly done seasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I was raised with butter and have never bought into the notion of replacing butter even when it was fashionable and less expensive to do so. Remember all the various TV commericials...."tastes like butter", "better than butter"? No it doesn't, and no it's not.
I was raised on oleomargarine in Minnesota, where they couldn't even sell it pre-colored because the dairy industry had a stronger lobby than the margarine industry. It came in a sealed plastic bag with a dot of food coloring that had to be massaged into the margarine after purchase. We simply couldn't afford butter except for special occasions.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
For me, nothing puts the "sunny" in my sunny side up fried eggs better than cooking them in a pat of butter.



I use unsalted for cooking because I want to be the one to control the salt in the dish. Salted is only used when serving something on the table that needs butter, like spreading it on fresh bread.



Many of the best steak houses serve steak with a pat of compound butter. It certainly doesn't mask the flavor of the meat like a steak sauce does - it enhances, just as any other properly done seasoning.



I was raised on oleomargarine in Minnesota, where they couldn't even sell it pre-colored because the dairy industry had a stronger lobby than the margarine industry. It came in a sealed plastic bag with a dot of food coloring that had to be massaged into the margarine after purchase. We simply couldn't afford butter except for special occasions.
As a kid, we took turns turning that white blob into a yellow mass. We thought we were creating magic.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
butter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×