Butter, Margarine or Oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well thank you every body for your wonderful suggestions :) I've made my decision. Drumroll please......... I choose butter :) It's the most multipurpose and I actually found out that even though it seems like margarine is better, butter is less artificial :) So once again thnx :)

How long it takes to make butter depends on how fresh the cream is. I've had it turn into butter within 10 minutes...it's been a long time since I've made butter from cream. When we used to get milk from the farmer, we sometimes made butter...

I just made that balsamic whipped cream from heavy cream the other week.
I had no idea that whipping cream would yield butter. Good thing I didn't forget about it, lol.
Interesting the different phases a food will go through, stopping at various products along the way.

The butter you make at home will have to be processed further if you plan on keeping it.

The beating process causes the fat molecules to clump together to form a mass of butter, leaving behind the 'other stuff' that makes cream - water milk solids, etc. There is a combination of rinsing in cold water and kneading or folding to ensure you get rid of all the residue. This step is necessary to retard rancidity.

Extra virgin olive oil for almost everything.
Canola oil for frying ... which is not often for me.
Butter for baking and spreading on bread, veggies, or finishing a sauce.

I NEVER use margarine.

Butter I'd imagine though I would always use butter over margarine. Will always go with less chemicals.

Extra virgin olive oil for almost everything.
Canola oil for frying ... which is not often for me.
Butter for baking and spreading on bread, veggies, or finishing a sauce.

I NEVER use margarine.

I'm with Littlechef, except that I do not use canola, but sunflower oil for frying. I use butter for risotto, for frying meats, like wiener schnitzel, and for some pasta recipes. I never use margarine.

I use them all, each for its own purpose. My husband likes Brummel & Brown, purportedly a yogurt based margarine, for toast & such. For sauteeing and stir frying, I use the oils best suited to the cuisine. Extra virgin olive oil is my mainstay for most European type cooking. Butter, sometimes in combination with oil (helps to keep it from burning). Peanut oil for stir fries. Regular vegetable or canola oil for things like spring rolls. I don't fry that much, so aside from the olive oil (which I use most often) and butter (which freezes well) I buy the least amount I can so it doesn't go rancid. I've only had that happen once, and almost didn't catch it because I was having olfactory issues. My husband came in and rescued me from ruining several hours of painstaking made nege maki I was about to saute!

I haven't purchased margarine in at least 30 years. I use peanut oil for stir-frying, canola oil for deep frying, olive oil for sautéing, and butter mostly as a spread, although I do cook eggs in it.

Stay away from margarine, always use olive oil or hemp/rapeseed. I would always choose butter over anything to be honest.

To lazy to read all of this....

What's wrong with margarine? I know butter is better flavor and usually I cook with butter but I scramble my eggs in margarine. I don't like the butter flavor in my eggs...

What's wrong with margarine? I know butter is better flavor and usually I cook with butter but I scramble my eggs in margarine. I don't like the butter flavor in my eggs...

For me it is that stick margarine still has trans fats unless you buy the smart balance or something like that, and those are expensive, more so than store brand butter most of the time. Also I don't like using "tub" margarine in cooking since it usually has a lot of water and other things in it.

I do keep a non-hydrogenated tub margarine in the house, because it is easy to spread right out of the fridge, so convenient. I only use the stuff on rolls, biscuits and toast.

I've read lots of very scary facts on how awful margarine is for you. You should have a read up on the stuff. It's what my friend calls frankenstein food, and he's quite right when you read up on what it contains.

For me it is that stick margarine still has trans fats unless you buy the smart balance or something like that, and those are expensive, more so than store brand butter most of the time. Also I don't like using "tub" margarine in cooking since it usually has a lot of water and other things in it.

I do keep a non-hydrogenated tub margarine in the house, because it is easy to spread right out of the fridge, so convenient. I only use the stuff on rolls, biscuits and toast.

You keep your butter in the refrigerator? Why? Butter doesn't see refrigeration anywhere between the manufacturer and the retailer, and even the retailers have been known to leave it sitting on a pallet in the storage area for hours, sometimes days. I buy my butter in a 3 pound package, and I keep one stick in a butter keeper in my pantry, the remaining sticks from one pound in the door of the fridge, and the extra pounds in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom