California-Florida Chili - Low Fat + Exchanges
Source: "1,001 Recipes For People with Diabetes"
- 1 tsp crushed mixed peppercorns, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups sliced plum tomatoes
- 1 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1 cup Zinfandel OR dry red wine OR reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 dried California chilies, chopped
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, toasted
- Salt, to taste
- 6 tbsp finely chopped fresh purple basil
Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns in a medium non-stick skillet;
add chicken and saute until pieces are lightly browned.
Combine fresh and dried tomatoes, wine, chilies, and chili
powder in large saucepan; stir in chicken. Heat to boiling;
reduce heat and simmer, covered, 6 minutes. Uncover and simmer
until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in avocado, sunflower seeds, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon
peppercorns. Season to taste with salt. Spoon into bowl;
sprinkle with basil.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories: 258, Fat: 9.2 g, Cholesterol: 46 g, Sodium: 272 mg, Protein: 21.5 g, Carbohydrate: 19.7 g ++++ Diabetic Exchanges: 4 Vegetable, 2 Meat, 1 Fat