Can Food Help Quit Smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chantix is working. I lit up a cigarette after I had eaten a very small meal and taken my meds. Immediately became very nausea. Cigarette is still unfinished and sitting in the ashtray. I probably will try again tomorrow.

I've been meaning to ask my doctor about Chantix, but I'm pill-paranoid. The medications I do take was a fight getting me on them in the first place. I read too many horror stories concerning side effects and that puts me off.

I've been meaning to ask my doctor about Chantix, but I'm pill-paranoid. The medications I do take was a fight getting me on them in the first place. I read too many horror stories concerning side effects and that puts me off.
Taking medications always involves a risk-benefit analysis. Which is worse - the likelihood of known effects from smoking, or having high blood pressure, or having cancer? Or the possibility of side effects from the medication?

Talk to your doctor and ask about the side effects, how likely they are, and what you're risking by not quitting smoking. Then you can make an informed decision.

Taking medications always involves a risk-benefit analysis. Which is worse - the likelihood of known effects from smoking, or having high blood pressure, or having cancer? Or the possibility of side effects from the medication?

Talk to your doctor and ask about the side effects, how likely they are, and what you're risking by not quitting smoking. Then you can make an informed decision.

I will. I'll ask her about it and see what she says and if I could take it with the meds I'm already on. It should be okay because I just take BP meds and cholesterol, plus ativan for anxiety on an as-needed basis. Which is pretty much every day. I can't take SSRI's because I have horrific side effects to those things, as well as other medications I've tried, which is what has me concerned.

Even the simple aspirin has side effects. (although aspirin is not so simple.) As GG stated. Every medicine has some side effect. For some foods, there are side effect for certain folks. Pros and cons for everything you do or eat.

I got home from the hospital late last night. I never once gave a thought to missing having a cigarette. While I was sitting in the lobby waiting for my driver to open his van to load me on, an old man (about 70-80ish or so) came in from outside. He had on a pair of construction boots and two jonnies. One backwards and one forward to cover his everything. "Out for a cigarette?" I asked. Yeah. I better get back to my bed before someone misses me. I told him my son goes out for a smoke also when he is in the hospital. (I never said he was the brightest human on earth.) The old man laughed and off he went.

I had a rough night and Pirate took a bad fall. (Neuropathy) It wasn't until this afternoon that I reached for a cigarette. I hadn't taken any Chantix while in the hospital. Just long enough for the urge and the rough time with Pirate to set me off again. But I immediately reached for the Chantix. About a half hour later I got a severe case of the dry heaves. Chantix are back at work. Yea! I am determined. I started to smoke at the age of ten. Nobody has ever told me quitting is easy. But it might have been easier years ago if I had received more encouragement.

So if you know of someone who is trying to quit, bolster their resolve with encouragement.

Last edited:
Quitting smoking is easy. I did it a 100 times before the last quit. What finally did work was to ease into restricting the smoke that came through the cigarette. I poked needle holes in the paper below the filter. Adding more holes as time went on and trying to restrict the number of drags I took. Finally one day my brain said "why bother?" and I was done with cigarettes. That was 25 years ago. Best of luck to anyone and all trying to quit.

I am on my fourth attempt to quit smoking with Chantix. Having two kids in my home smoking, doesn't help with my efforts. I give up.

Before I always had funny dreams from the Chantix. This time it is just not the same. Horrible dreams to the point of dangerous dreams for me. A few nights ago, I almost fell out of bed while trying to kill all the huge animals in my dream. And I let out a scream that scared Pirate to no end. Now it is becoming too dangerous for me to stay on Chantix. With all my medical problems, I need to concentrate on them, not smoking. Considering that I smoke about seven or eight cigarettes a day, I am not to concerned about smoking. You would think with the few amount of cigarettes I do smoke it would be easy to quit.

Right now I am trying so hard to learn to walk with a medical leg and it is very painful. Yesterday was a somewhat successful day. I didn't smoke for several hours after the lesson. But in the process, I fell and managed to remove the skin on top of my hand. Success on one hand, failure on the other side. Pirate and I went outside to have a cigarette. I took one or two puffs. That was it. The both of us are down to our school days. We both share one cigarette when either one of us lights up. He does it for financial reason. Just too expensive. Sooner or later when my stress level goes down, I know I will quit. Just not now.

I would like to find something to relieve my stress level other than smoking. But doing that only adds to my stress. I really need to concentrate on getting my health problems solved first.

Oddly enough I find coming to the computer and reading my emails from DC, is a lot of help in the quitting department. I find that I would rather read what is going on here, than reaching for a cigarette. Thanks to everyone who is posting. It makes it a lot easier to cut back on the cigarettes.

Back
Top Bottom