Can Food Help Quit Smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisa445

Assistant Cook
Hi forum members!

I have a quite strange question: can food help quit smoking? After I found out my son started smoking I've been looking for additional information on quitting. Sure, he doesn't want even to hear about it. But yesterday, I found an article on VapingDaily which says there are foods that may help alleviate cigarette cravings or even make the taste of cigarettes repulsive even for the most avid of smokers. For example, drinking milk prior to smoking makes cigarettes taste unappealing and potato chips, salted nuts, or popcorn with loads of salt and real butter, salty snacks have shown to reduce nicotine and tobacco cravings.

Have you ever heard of this? Or maybe you have such experience? I'd be very appreciated for any advice!

Smoking is an addiction. If he doesn't want to quit he won't and no food will help - if it doesn't agree with his smoking he just won't eat them.

I'm truly sorry there is no quick and easy answer.

Also please be keep in mind that often an addict (of anything!) never really gets rid of their addiction - they just change it for an addiction to something else.

You don't want to switch your addiction from one thing that is bad for you to another which could be just as bad in another way.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't! I hope for you he will quit before he becomes truly addicted.

I smoked cigarettes for over 40 years. Quit a couple times but always went back to smoking. Patches, gum and Zyban did nothing to help.
I had heard about a medication that helped people quit. So I brought it up with my doctor. He had a coupon for a month supply for free. The drug was Chantix.

There were some unpleasant side effects like vivid dreams and my wife said I was very grouchy. But I took the medicine as prescribed on the packaging and within three weeks I was wondering how I was going to smoke the rest of the carton I bought.

By the time my last week arrived, smoking had become a chore. A nuisance. Something almost foreign. It had become as if I had never smoked before. It just became something others did. I have not had one cigarette in 10 years.
I have never had any urge and there are no triggers. Other people smoking does not bother me at all.

If your son is an adult. He may want to consider this approach. It worked for me.

Roll Bones, I too smoked for 45 years, it has been 15 years since I quit. But I don't think that matters when it comes to quitting - you still have to want to.

Chantix wasn't around at the time. My daughter has used it and has had her ups and downs with it. She does still recommends it. Different strokes for different folks.

If you give a smoker foods that make smoking less enjoyable, they will stop eating those foods so they can continue to smoke.

I was addicted to smoking for most of my adult life until I quit 8 years ago. If someone is addicted there is no food that will help with the addiction. That's really a prime example of junk science.

Food help me stop, a night on the drink and then I went home and ate a packet of cashew nuts, didn't chew properly and part of the nut nicked a hole in my oesophagus, ruptured it resulting in a life saving operation. 10 days in a coma. Never wanted to smoke again. That was 13 years ago. Prior I was 40 a day.

Russ

Food help me stop, a night on the drink and then I went home and ate a packet of cashew nuts, didn't chew properly and part of the nut nicked a hole in my oesophagus, ruptured it resulting in a life saving operation. 10 days in a coma. Never wanted to smoke again. That was 13 years ago. Prior I was 40 a day.

Russ

Ouchie. I think that would make me want to stop drinking as well.

Glad you were able to quit smoking. I can tell you right now that's a habit I wish I had never started.

I am presently fighting the smoking battle. Last summer I had a traumatic event occur. The worst time to try to quit. Plus, I have two smokers in my home. I have been on Chantix. I do find that if I take it according to directions it works for me. Then I get interrupted with another trip to the hospital. Come home, and have to start all over again.

I also have a friend who wears a "quit smoking" patch. It is working for him. But let a day go by without the patch, and he will light up again. It didn't work for me. I needed something stronger.

But the difference between me and my two boys, is that I want to quit. They don't want to.

Smoking is a very strong addiction. Unless your son wants to quit, feeding him certain foods and any thing else, simply is not going to work. He has to be the one who wants to quit. Not you.

Good luck in your efforts to get your son to quit smoking. I hope you succeed.

I am presently fighting the smoking battle. Last summer I had a traumatic event occur. The worst time to try to quit. Plus, I have two smokers in my home. I have been on Chantix. I do find that if I take it according to directions it works for me. Then I get interrupted with another trip to the hospital. Come home, and have to start all over again.

I also have a friend who wears a "quit smoking" patch. It is working for him. But let a day go by without the patch, and he will light up again. It didn't work for me. I needed something stronger.

But the difference between me and my two boys, is that I want to quit. They don't want to.

Smoking is a very strong addiction. Unless your son wants to quit, feeding him certain foods and any thing else, simply is not going to work. He has to be the one who wants to quit. Not you.

Won't they allow you to continue taking the Chantix in the hospital?

Roll Bones, I too smoked for 45 years, it has been 15 years since I quit. But I don't think that matters when it comes to quitting - you still have to want to.

Chantix wasn't around at the time. My daughter has used it and has had her ups and downs with it. She does still recommends it. Different strokes for different folks.

I quit for my wife. She had been quit for several years and I did it for her. I knew it was hard for her to see me smoke and to have access to her brand and mine anytime she wanted. She remained firm and quit cold turkey.

When I started the Chantix I did not expect anything to happen but it did.
It did something to my brain I could not do alone.
In the past when I quit, I still had urges and relapses. The Chantix changed me as far as smoking. I feel as if I have never smoked in my entire life.

I would have never thought you were a smoker!
Funny how you picture someone you do not know by posts and threads.....LOL

Won't they allow you to continue taking the Chantix in the hospital?

Unfortunately, no. My pill list was so long, the doctors were stunned. One doctor alone was given the job of going over the list and crossing off the list of what I really need to fight the infection and what was good for my heart. Chantix went to the wayside.

I get every month, these cards called MOT's. That stands for Medicines on Time. They are color coded. Yellow for morning, orange for afternoon, white for evening and blue for bedtime. I was receiving seven of those cards just for the morning. And the windows on each card was jammed with pills. It finally got to me. And I stopped taking any. And when the hospital ran a blood work on me, it showed I hadn't been taking any. The doctor asked me about it, and I told him the whys. He was in agreement with me and completely understood.

Every time Winthrop saw me, without looking at my medication list, would just add another to it. They never checked my chart to see what I was on or receiving something all ready for my present problem. When I left the hospital and received my next supply of MOT's, There were two yellow cards. None for the afternoon. The hospital really trimmed it down. (Thank you hospital doctor)

I do have a stash of the Chantix. Although if you are following the protocol of the drug, you should take it twice a day. I am trying to stretch what I have and it is partially work. I am smoking a lot less than if I didn't have it.

For anyone who is trying to really quit, Chantix did work for me before. But then I got very sick and headed right back for the tobacco. Got over that sickness and headed for the Chantix again. Quit again, then lost my leg. Guess what.

That was more trauma than I could handle on my own.

Addie, I'm amazed you are still a smoker for many reasons.

Not to mention the cost of cigarettes, it seems impossible for you since you are restricted by law from smoking inside your government owned apartment, although you mentioned once that your smoke alarm is covered in plastic thanks to Pirate. I know you haven't been able to get the required distance outside the building to smoke for many months and how you were smoking in the hospital is a real mystery.

Unfortunately, no. My pill list was so long, the doctors were stunned. One doctor alone was given the job of going over the list and crossing off the list of what I really need to fight the infection and what was good for my heart. Chantix went to the wayside.

I get every month, these cards called MOT's. That stands for Medicines on Time. They are color coded. Yellow for morning, orange for afternoon, white for evening and blue for bedtime. I was receiving seven of those cards just for the morning. And the windows on each card was jammed with pills. It finally got to me. And I stopped taking any. And when the hospital ran a blood work on me, it showed I hadn't been taking any. The doctor asked me about it, and I told him the whys. He was in agreement with me and completely understood.

Every time Winthrop saw me, without looking at my medication list, would just add another to it. They never checked my chart to see what I was on or receiving something all ready for my present problem. When I left the hospital and received my next supply of MOT's, There were two yellow cards. None for the afternoon. The hospital really trimmed it down. (Thank you hospital doctor)

I do have a stash of the Chantix. Although if you are following the protocol of the drug, you should take it twice a day. I am trying to stretch what I have and it is partially work. I am smoking a lot less than if I didn't have it.

I'm sorry all of that happened. I know quitting is hard. They say quitting smoking is harder than trying to quit heroin.

Addie, I'm amazed you are still a smoker for many reasons.

Not to mention the cost of cigarettes, it seems impossible for you since you are restricted by law from smoking inside your government owned apartment, although you mentioned once that your smoke alarm is covered in plastic thanks to Pirate. I know you haven't been able to get the required distance outside the building to smoke for many months and how you were smoking in the hospital is a real mystery.

Believe me Kayelle. There are many ways to sneak outside when you are in a hospital. And there is always a spot where all the smokers gather. I am always surprised that the security never stopped it. But then I have seen members of security join the patients for a cigarette.

Quick story. Spike had driven Pirate to a doctors appt. The question of smoking came up. How many cigarettes do you smoke? Pirate told the doctor and the next question was about the rest of the family. When it came to Spike, Pirate had already mentioned the eight heart attacks he has had over the years. "And he is still smoking. " The look of shock was on the doctor's face. You're kidding!" Pirate said to the doctor, "Go outside. Spike in in the driveway right now having a cigarette." The question of smoking hasn't come up since.

Smoking is not an activity I am proud of. But I seem to be the only member of the family trying to quit. And BTW, in this family, we roll our own cigarettes. Much cheaper.

The company that runs this place, also runs about four or five others in this part of Boston. When the non-smoking rule went into effect, one of the building residents took the managing company to courts. Their grounds were that smoking is an addiction the same as hereon is. The company has not provided any relief for the smokers. They are forced to the outside in all kinds of weather placing themselves to illness. They won. The company built a small shed so a smoker wouldn't have to stand in the rain, strong winds and in the sun on very hot days.

I wish they would do the same here. But there aren't enough smokers here. And you can tell who the smokers are. They all have a window fan going. The manager knows. But she understands the addiction. She just lets it slide until someone complains that they can smell the smoke in the hall. And that has happened only once since I have been here. That person was evicted and sent to live in another facility for the elderly. All that accomplished was to give that headache to another manager.

Just.....wow. :ohmy: I certainly wouldn't be putting all that info out here on a public forum, Addie.

Back
Top Bottom