Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constance, that is certainly right. Too bad we don't see much need for change until it has the almost immediate potential for harming our health. The things presented in this thread are very helpful and I appreciate all who have contributed the information.

Also, the American Diabetes Association offers a few cookbooks for sale on makiing healthy recipes. I think some of them are what we normally eat today, but with a few miner adjustments.

For those who still dream of having eggplant parm, which I still love and used to eat over spaghetti, a slice of toasted whole-grain bread can be substituted for the pasta.

Olive or canola oil still is good for sauteing veggies band making salad dressings because it has no saturated fats that would otherwise add calories.

Tropical and palmseed oils are a no-no.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who is also a diabetic. She told me that she had just made a heart-attack breakfast!! Do you all know what a heart-attack breakfast is? I'm sure that you do. It's fried or scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon and home fries, usually with toast as well. Sometimes, pancakes and or French toast is served with it also. Heart attack city!!

As everyone knows, that stuff is loaded with animal fat with produces cholesterol, and it also has a ton of salt. Guess I'll be eating fruit and cereal for breakfast from now on.

No more subs, pizza, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, or dried beans for a while!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I had an older friend who's husband had a really bad, hard to control type of diabetes. This was 30 years ago, and there weren't as many medications available as they are now.
Otto did well with Chinese food, though. These days, we have access to all kinds of Oriental foods, so there's an idea for you. If you go easy on portions, I don't think a little brown rice will hurt.

There ought to be a way to make pizza for diabetics. I'm going to work on that one, as it is one of my daughters favorite foods.

Not so much the tomato sauce on the pizza, but the crust is the main objection. I heard of a Sasarian crust (don't know if I'm pronouncing it right) pizza that supposed to have a lot less starch in the crust.

Is there any truth to that? Low-fat mozzarella can be used in place of regular
mozzarella though.

~Corey123.

Corey, I've seen pizzas with crust as thin as a cracker. I think if you go with that type, you should be OK.
Tomato sauce does have some sugar in it. Some recipes call for spreading on tomato paste and sprinkling with your own seasonings.
Also, watch your toppings. Use ground turkey or turkey sausage for your meat.
There are also all those wonderful California style pizzas that don't even use tomato sauce. You could just brush the top with garlic infused olive oil, top with slices of fresh tomatoes, low-fat cheese and fresh basil.

Corey123 said:
The doctor prescribed some Metformin, if any of you are familiar with that
kind.
Since he said that I'm just borderline (type 2) right now, this medicine should help keep the excess blood sugar under control.

~Corey123.

I used to take metformin for my Sydrome X and PCOS. I thought it was excellent. The good news for me isd that I am now able to me a little more active and control my diet more and I no longer need it, but its an ok drug.

Actually, there IS a pizzaria in Providence on Federal Hill called Sicillia's.

And thedy do have a crispy-thin pizza crust which I like a lot. But I'm not sure of the amount of starch that's in the crust.

I've always made my own homemade tomato sauce or marinara, as it's sometimes called. So I can control what goes in it. I never did like premade spaghetti sauce. And it's shelf life is very short, so if you don't try to use it up within about six months, the taste is gone.

It doesn't spoil, it just loses it's flavor and taste, becoming very bland and tasteless!

And yes, ground chicken or turkey IS a more healthful alternative to regular hamburger. I just bought some ground beef two weeks ago, vacuum-sealed it and put it in the freezer. But I usually drain the fat from it after its cooked to cut the calories in it.

Sauce can also be made with no meat and used as a vegetarian sauce as well over spaghetti squash. I do this when I'm making veal or eggplant parm.

~Corey123.

I went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up mainly fruits veggies, fuit-flavored water, 1% milk and diet soda.

No starches or sweets except for brown rice and low-cal sugar.
Not sure of the starch content that's in brown rice, but I heard that it's supposed to be the much healthier alternative to white rice.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
the starch content that's in brown rice, but I heard that it's supposed to be the much healthier alternative to white rice
White rice is bleached and the fiber is removed.

Note that you will have to cook the brown rice longer and use a bit more water. About 2-1/3 cups water to 1 cup rice. Mine takes about 45 minutes in a rice cooker.

That's the exact amount of cooking time the package says.

I think it's because of the hull that remains on each grain of the rice. It's kind of tough to soften, requiring a longer time to cook than with regular rice where the fiber is removed, like you said.

~Corey123.

Yeah, I've seen and heard that somewhere.

One thing that you want to avoid though, is stuffed pizza. Too much dough inside and it seems to raw to me!!

I tried a baby one once and didn't like it at all!!!

~Corey123.

Sorry, I didn't see all of Constance's post before posting about fresh tomatoes. My mistake! 40 lashes with a wet noodle!!!! I don't have to include that in my carbohydrate count, do I?

licia said:
Constance, that is certainly right. Too bad we don't see much need for change until it has the almost immediate potential for harming our health. The things presented in this thread are very helpful and I appreciate all who have contributed the information.

I started my healthy living thing 18 months ago because both my parents now have Type 2 diabetes. It kinda makes me laugh that I am living like a diabetic so I don't become one :wacko: , but that's what it boils down to. A diabetic eating plan should really be what we all eat, controlling our sugar and fat intake and concentrating on vegetables and fruits, and good sources of protein and carbohydrates.

Tropicana has a juice that is 1/2 the sugar and 1/2 the calories. I enjoy orange juice, but something in the diabetes papers said one cup of orange juice is like eating 8 oranges and that is a lot of sugar, even if it is natural. I picked up a carton of the reduced sugar and calorie juice and it is quite good.

If you suddenly find yourself mistakingly indulging in that, simply drink as much water as you can immediately.

This helps to flush out the excess sugar through your urinary track before it has a chance to get into the blood stream. It will have you going to the bathroom a lot, but at least you'll get rid of unwanted sugars fast. Because the water dilutes the juice, making it less dangerous and helps to subdue the sugars in it.

At least this is what I was told.

I just forgot and had a small glass of orange juice myself, so I gotta do the same thing right away.

But I didn't know that there was orange juice with reduced sugar.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
Also, the American Diabetes Association offers a few cookbooks for sale on makiing healthy recipes. I think some of them are what we normally eat today, but with a few miner adjustments.

For those who still dream of having eggplant parm, which I still love and used to eat over spaghetti, a slice of toasted whole-grain bread can be substituted for the pasta.

Olive or canola oil still is good for sauteing veggies band making salad dressings because it has no saturated fats that would otherwise add calories.

Tropical and palmseed oils are a no-no.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who is also a diabetic. She told me that she had just made a heart-attack breakfast!! Do you all know what a heart-attack breakfast is? I'm sure that you do. It's fried or scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon and home fries, usually with toast as well. Sometimes, pancakes and or French toast is served with it also. Heart attack city!!

As everyone knows, that stuff is loaded with animal fat with produces cholesterol, and it also has a ton of salt. Guess I'll be eating fruit and cereal for breakfast from now on.

No more subs, pizza, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, or dried beans for a while!

~Corey123.

A couple of corrections to be made here:

1. For those who still dream of having eggplant parm, which I still love and used to eat over spaghetti, a slice of toasted whole-grain bread can be substituted for the pasta.
If you use whole-grain pasta, you don't have to substitute. And there are some pretty good whole grain pasta types out there. I like the Hodgeson Mills brand.

2. Canola oil is controversial, with some saying it is truly evil, while others say it is like mana from Heaven. I use sunflower or safflower oil instead of canola. Olive oil is good as well, and there are other great oils. Look in some of the threads about healthy oils. And all oils are high in caloric content. The reason healthier oils are healthier, is they help control choleserol levels in the blood, and may add other essential nutrients to the diet.

3. In our house, we often make multi-grain pancakes, usually a combination of whole-wheat, buckwheat, and oatmeal. We use Splenda sweetener and replace the oil with apple sauce. For a leavening agent, we use double-acting baking powder. There is salt in them, but only 1/2 tsp. per cup of the flour mixture. And the single egg can be substituted with a yolk free replacement product, such as Egg Beaters. This will produce very tasty and healthy pancakes, depending on what you top them with.

4. Healthy pizza can be made by a using whole-grain flour, such as rye, which has a light flavor, instead of using processed bread flour. Top with veggies and lean but spicy meats and use herbs for flavoring. Use sharply flavored cheeses as you don't need to use as much to get good flavor.

5. Legumes in general, beans, peas, lentils, etc. are foods a diabetic should eat. They are low in fat, high in protiens, nutrients and fiber. The starches are counteracted by the high fiber content that serves to slow the absorption of sugars into the bloodstream. Be careful what you flavor them with. I use Splenda and either mollases or maple/extract when making baked beans. If you are making a savory type of beans, such as bean soup, then limit the salt, but use enough for good flavor, or use salt substitutes, and use herbs and spices. And you would be amazed how much flavor is added by cooking them with a goo pork bone, with the fat removed of course, and adding some lean pork cubes to the mix.

Veggies such as beets, and carrots should be eaten in moderation as they contain a bunch of both simple and complex sugars (carbohydrates). Potatoes should be avoided. But you can eat sweet potatoes because of the high nutrition content and fiber. The same is true of most berries and fruits. Just don't over-indulge. Grapes and grape products (raisins and wines) are very high in sugars.

And watch the cereals. Many are suprizingly high in carbs, even though they may say they may claim to be healthy. They are often coated with, or made with either sugar, or high-fruictose corn syrup, and usually some added fat. So read the label.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Husband was recommended to always eat fruit over drinking fruit juice, and that citrus wasn't the best. It has been working so far. Remember each individual is just that, individual. Just because this is working for him doesn't really mean it will for you or yours. His doctor is delighted with him (as am I; unlike most men I know he isn't blaming me when there is a sugar problem or when he cannot have something).

Back
Top Bottom